Yes there is a meta.

Currently there are 6 characters you see All the time at high PvP

Jean Grey
    IMHB
    Iceman
    Red Hulk
    Cyclops
    Old Man Logan

OML is usually the least covered of the bunch but he's showing up more and more.

Now with boosts you will generally see Deadpool, Thing, Kingpin, and Carnage when they are boosted but the aforementioned 6 you will see always. Thor and X-Force are there hell even Fury, but other than that I never see anyone else.

The only 3*'s I see always are Iron Fist, Cyclops and KK. The rest only if featured or boosted. Also pre 800 you will see some Xavier/GSBW or Scarlet witch.

Phoenix will soon be appearing once more covers are obtained

PvP is pretty diverse nowadays. You see mostly Greybusters, but I've been seeing a lot more Redclops, RedIce, and IceBusters nowadays. Also loads of OML/RedHulks. You need to be able to deal with those top 6 consistently.

We are apparently playing different PVP's.. In 3* land, Cage, even when not boosted shows up quite a bit. I see Silver Surfer just as often as OML, and XDP/Thing is an everpresent team.

Before you reach 300 you can maybe see other 3s like luke but after 300 the only ones I see are IF and KK. You can see SS if he is well covered (8+ covers). Greybusters is the team I see the most (it is the one I play), and I guess it is because iceman, cyclops and rh are quite new, but in the near future I expect to see as many IceBusters, Redclops and Greyclops. Probably soon we will see more of these top5 depending on which is boosted.

In my case I just recently pulled my last Cyclops cover, so now I am leveling him, and I have iceman at 10 covers so I hope soon he will be playable. My rh just has 5 covers so he is very far away from being playable yet.

Right now those 5 are the meta, they are way above anything else. I think it is a mistake use OML or SS before 360+ level, they do a lot of match damage but his powers are really lame (AI never transforms OML), then after 360 (8 covers) they start to be too powerful to fight them in a fast hop (SS has 23k+ hitpoint, OML 17k+ and regenerates more than 1k), so I usually skip them.

Then for PvE I use those five and PX+GSBW+SW team which is perfect most of the time.

I hope the new Spidey can enter the Perfect5 group...