Legendary Tokens and PVE

statnut
statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I'm in the middle of the Hulk PVE and I'm coming to the conclusion that I won't get to the LT threshold. This despite doing every node 3 times (possibly 4 depending on the Command Point situation). How much of my life am I supposed to invest in this game in order to reach this threshold? I'm finishing up the Amazon chapter and will have 3 days left in the event, and I've got just under 40k points. Doesn't this seem insane?

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    statnut wrote:
    So I'm in the middle of the Hulk PVE and I'm coming to the conclusion that I won't get to the LT threshold. This despite doing every node 3 times (possibly 4 depending on the Command Point situation). How much of my life am I supposed to invest in this game in order to reach this threshold? I'm finishing up the Amazon chapter and will have 3 days left in the event, and I've got just under 40k points. Doesn't this seem insane?

The later subs are always worth more than the early subs. You may have to grind a bit on the last 2 days, but I wouldn't count that LT out yet.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Well I think the complaint is that early on during the various "LT grind is too much threads!" the magic number people kept throwing around is 3 clears per sub would get you to it. Until at some point it wasn't, now its 3 clears per sub plus some grinding :/

Wasn't there a controversy too with the ghost rider PVE where the last sub's points didn't go up by much? In any case, it's all troubling trends that add up to a "grind harder!" game
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't bothered with this one much since I don't need either the hulk cover or the totally average Hulk placement rewards either but when it ran previously I was a grinder and made my token way before end of last sub. Points required have increased this time round but in general grinding the essentials on the last day once or twice plus 3x full clears on every sub pretty much guarantees LT on any PVE.

For me this marks the third standard PVE in a row which I sat out. Did do the Totally ordinary hulk event but that was actually fun in my opinion, though the prize wasn't.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Here are the questions I'd love for a developer to answer on this.

1) Roughly speaking, what basis do you use to set the points needed to reach the Legendary Token progression total on PvE's? Is it based on how much effort and playtime you think a LT should be "worth", or is it based on the number of LTs you want to be giving out total?

2) Was the total deliberately rasied in the recent runs of Enemy of the State (small hike), Spirits of Vengeance (large hike), and The Hulk (medium hike)?

3) If so, why was this done? Is it being done because too many Legendary Tokens were being given out in previous PvE's, because you anticipated heavier play and wanted to preemptively limite the number of LT's given out, as part of a recent attempt to recalibrate, or because nobody's actually doing the math, and just picking numbers out of a hat?
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    3.5 clears seems to be what normally does it for me to get the LT in these PVE events, with extra grinding in the last sub. (The 0.5 is hitting the essentials and maybe the last CP node again before the sub closes.) Usually, I'm able to wrap up the LT progression with a day to spare. It was only the Heart of Darkness event that I completed with only hours to spare, but that was because I was doing two 9 hour car trips during the holiday weekend (me at the wheel) on the first and last subs.

Can't say on the current Hulk event since I'm not doing any more 7 day PVE events, but the last time I did, it took me six days to get the LT ( a duplicate cover I was maxed on, hence the no 7 day event rule now).
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    As a t2 pve player, I grind each sub between 2 1/2-3 hours (with 4 hours for survival nodes in EotS). It's certainly a LOT of time spent grinding. When Prodigal Sun was released as a seven day, seven sub event, I actually spent 20 hours to take first place (thankfully I grind in the evening hours after dinner and before bedtime, so it works out schedule-wise). So yes, it definitely gets insane.

To reach legendary tokens, you need something like 4x the normal one clear. By this I mean if you get 3,000 points in one clear, you need 12,000 by expiration. That gives you some leeway in case you can't clear a node or two for some reason (scaling, real life scheduling conflict, etc.).

For most events, I usually reach legendary progression one day early. So for a 3 sub event, I would reach at the end of sub 2. However, the Heart of Darkness event was less generous in offering points, and it took me the final day of sub in order to reach LT.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    statnut wrote:

i stopped playing pve cause i was playing 4-5 hours a day. got a little crazy there and had to cut myself off. and i can't stand the dog's breakfast that is pvp, so i pretty much don't play anymore. ddq, and the essential with the cp is pretty much all i do now.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I've learned during last 7-days event that it is not worth the effort. It tooks too much time and it's hard to keep the pace to reach LT.
    This is why I haven't even started this PvE icon_razz.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Just for the record, now is day 5 and I'm going to reach LT progression on my third full clear in a few hours. So the points per sub appears adequate in reaching LT.
  • I do like that not all pve are different days, gives people a choice on playing them. If they would give two LTs for seven day events, I'd be more incline on playing them. Thankfully I only stick with the three day events, then take a break.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Three full clears per day, plus a small amount of extra node grinding to keep me safely in the top 100, will leave me about 3K short of the Legendary Tokenafter my third full clear.

At this point I'd be happy for any response from anyone on the game's side at all, just an acknowledgment that the shifting effort is working as intended, or hell, just someone saying they've seen the question and aren't going to answer it.
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I will say that this Venom event has been easier to reach the LT on for me. 3 clears (with some extra grinding for CP as needed) and 1 clear of the last one got me there.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    statnut wrote:
    I will say that this Venom event has been easier to reach the LT on for me. 3 clears (with some extra grinding for CP as needed) and 1 clear of the last one got me there.

Venom target was set really low. I got LT before I finished my second clear of sub 2.

LT points are always set to be attainable after 3/4 of the event with normal play. Venom was before 50%.