Anyone having a hard time this season?

2»

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ghost Rider pvp was my lowest event of the season, at 1540ish.. finding this season a bit tougher , seems quite a few snipers out, just to play spoilers.

Side note.. in my quest for that icon_ghostrider.pnggreenflag.png cover in God of Lies .. i did break 2k for the first time.. actually ended over 2300... good enough for 3rd /sigh. Spent about 1k HP in shields in that event.. but first shield was over 1k.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    Are you sure it's not someone upset from the forum?
    The entire bracket was snipey, and it was spread around evenly. This is a game, if someone gets their kicks as a sniper, then as long as they are having fun, the game is working for them!
    OJSP wrote:
    That doesn't sound sustainable if we're F2P..
    Nope, never said it was.. this was a big one off event for me.. but i can usually get 1300 in an event, and make a 25HP profit in doing so.. so pvp is very f2p friendly. i just went a little nuts going after one of my all time favorite chars... who i have now missed on all tries.. #21 in release event, #3 in god of lies.. so i have a joyful 3 red covers, and nothing else.. oh well. P2Win my tinykitty.. can't even whale a char unless you get 1 of each cover first..
    OJSP wrote:
    Anyway, I'm guessing, the ones having a hard time here are not Fistbusting or Jeanbusting yet.. also, their matchmaking meant that they are visible by all 3*s and low level 4*s.
    This week, with BP, KK, Thor etc all boosted.. 3* teams are ripping apart Jeanbusters, Rulkbusters etc.. no team is safe.. i even took down a lvl 350 OML with a 3* team.. just to see if i could w/o boosting or whaling.. and yah, wasn't all that hard (kk's heals rock)

Just don't mess with a lvl 350 Ghost Rider.. those hurt.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    OJSP wrote:

Anyway, I'm guessing, the ones having a hard time here are not Fistbusting or Jeanbusting yet.. also, their matchmaking meant that they are visible by all 3*s and low level 4*s.

Personally, I'm being matched against higher levelled 3*s and maxed 4*s and there are more high scoring targets (probably because of my 3 5*s). I've been playing in slice 1 for the last 2-3 seasons, except maybe 1 or 2 events. Getting 1000 depends on the boosted 3*s as I don't have any usable 4*s yet. If they're good, I could do it with 1 shield. If not, up to 3 shields.

My suggestion to the ones struggling here, is either to pick a different time slice or to level up more characters.

I am running Fistbuster. I am matched against basically 4 star and boosted 3 star teams. Fights aren't a problem for me. Just the shield clustering at the top plus when I can play has been making less points available when I need to play.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'm with Deadpooool

Let me explain why I am a late runner. FYI my final push was from 500 to 1040 with 3hr to go.

I actually hit 1,000 points with 24 hours to go, but with the quantity and frequency of new characters being released, HP is paramount to me. Thus I'm not an early joiner. I am mostly a F2P player ($50 in 2 years) So, my options are;

1) Spend 450 in shields, which is a net -250 HP and probaly get another bag lady from the legandary token (a complaint for another thread). The slight bump in season score will not affect my placement, maybe an extra heroic token.
    2) Spend 300 in shields, which is a net -100 HP and no legendary token
    3) Spend 75 in shields, just to preserve the score for alliance season rank and net +125 HP...this amount is a roster slot every 8 events. (less if you include a little from PvE and DDP)

So the complaints are interelated, mine are primarily the frequency of characters, cost of roster spots, and legendary RNG.
    Both PvP styles effects others, sorry.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    OJSP wrote:
    JamesV wrote:
    I am running Fistbuster. I am matched against basically 4 star and boosted 3 star teams. Fights aren't a problem for me. Just the shield clustering at the top plus when I can play has been making less points available when I need to play.
    I see, if that's the case, then unfortunately you need to find a way to queue someone who you know will be worth points the next time you are able to play. Perhaps this also means you need to shield more often.

There were times before when I managed to get close to 1000 with over than 18 hours left in the event.. Rather than shield hopping, I decided to just use the 24 hours shield. I did 1 hop near the end of the event and got the cover. It's a bit more expensive than usual, but I got the cover and protected my points for the event. If I didn't do this, I probably wouldn't be able to end the event with that same high score. There's no guarantee that I would be able to repeat the same process and do another climb without requiring more than 10 health packs. So, maybe picking a different time slice is also an option here. It's explained better by the next example:

Yeah I've been experimenting with different slices and play times to compensate. Queuing up someone long term is a 50-50 shot because you won't know how many points they actually have and that can cause you to miss jump.

And to be clear, itt's not like i'm not hitting my goals or anything (again outside of GR's pvp). I can still hit 1000 with 0-3 shields depending on bracket, etc. It's just the top end has been substantially dryer this season than last (from what I can see). I also do my best to try avoid consciously double tapping people (unless I clearly see them shielded) so the dry area this season has been rough.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    just another isolated group of data pts. I have not had a particularly hard time this season. my average event score continues to climb and has for a long time now. i think i might be plateauing a bit after this season though. this last event was a 'bad' event for me though. i overpushed my team and came out to a hit and then after shielding 2 more came through, so instead of shielding at 1100, i shielded at 900, which took 1300 off the table, but i think this week might be particularly tough with thor/kk/panther boosted - much larger pool of players that can beat nearly every team fielded. it means a larger group of people will see what I'm fielding and not skip it. it means a lower hovering/equilibrium score. season has been filled with strong boosted options (Cyclops for one), so it is generally more of a slog. when the boosteds are weak, the better rosters have a much easier time of it.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i found i had a hard time caring, so i quit playing PVP!!!!

but i'm worried about the same thing in simulator which i was hoping to go for, we'll see!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a run of really bad luck that shut me out of hitting 1k a few events in a row. I'm talking multiple crit cascades on fights in the 900 point range and losing more points than I won on my first fight off a shield using winfinite. Made the whole event feel like a waste, and one legendary token at the finish line isn't enough to keep me engaged.

I tried to cowboy up for the ice man cover, but had a 70 point match against IM and cyclops go sideways. "Oh well," I thought, "at least I'll only lose a couple of points." Nope, lost 44. It was a freshly queued fight after 30-40 minutes of climbing, so I struggle to imagine the sequence of events that led to a maxed out IM/cyc/Loki team losing that many points in a span of one uninterrupted match.

Anyway, it hasn't really seemed harder this season, I just feel like my efforts were going to waste and I wasn't progressing. I've been focusing on pve which at least guarantees me a 4*, HP and several command points, and is less prone to bad luck.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was a freshly queued fight after 30-40 minutes of climbing, so I struggle to imagine the sequence of events that led to a maxed out IM/cyc/Loki team losing that many points in a span of one uninterrupted match.
    ... which pretty much tells you he wasn't really freshly queued.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Ghost Rider pvp was my lowest event of the season, at 1540ish.. finding this season a bit tougher , seems quite a few snipers out, just to play spoilers.

Side note.. in my quest for that icon_ghostrider.pnggreenflag.png cover in God of Lies .. i did break 2k for the first time.. actually ended over 2300... good enough for 3rd /sigh. Spent about 1k HP in shields in that event.. but first shield was over 1k.

Sorry i stole 2nd from u...lol...
  • TxMoose
    simonsez wrote:
    It was a freshly queued fight after 30-40 minutes of climbing, so I struggle to imagine the sequence of events that led to a maxed out IM/cyc/Loki team losing that many points in a span of one uninterrupted match.
    ... which pretty much tells you he wasn't really freshly queued.
    and we all know that server lag doesn't exist, and the game never gives you stale opponent groups and every time you fresh queue someone that's the points you'll get. right.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    ok, so explain to me how to make sure I avoid what was described by bbr. no sarcasm. I'm spending loads of iso to try and avoid this and chasing high pt opponents and frankly I feel like I'm pissing iso in the wind (thousands per event recently) and I'm sure I might not be doing the most effective thing. not sure what you call server lag, but I lump offered opponents with incorrect/old scores into that term. maybe its not the right term.
    What simon meant to say was that you don't skip 1, 3 or 5 times, but at least 10 to 15 times to get a new q.
    Anything less is most likely a stale q from hours ago.

Skipping for thousands of ISO is normal, yes. PVP is an ISO sink.
  • TxMoose
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Skipping for thousands of ISO is normal, yes. PVP is an ISO sink.
    needed to hear (typo edited) that. CCs don't help the iso sink, even if they help scoring.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last time I brought this up, the smarmy reply is you need to skip 8 times to ensure a fresh queue. Now it's dozens?

Seriously, I was playing for 30-40 minutes before that episode, and skipped every node a few times after each match. Every match I played returned the reported points +/- 2, then suddenly half a dozen fights and around 30 skips later I find the one match up that dropped 1000 points between getting queued and the end of the fight? And that's all my fault, is that right? Everyone knows you hit skip 20 times before you even start to play a pvp event, after all! I must have forgotten that part of the tutorial.

Look, I know people complain about reported points vs actual all the time, but I got over that months ago. This was an event that was so extreme I've never read anything even approaching it. But lol skip moar! Thanks, simon. Maybe you should give more credit to the people you know have played long enough to know how the system works.
  • Oh i have been leave nearly a year and last minutes sniper problem still no improve.....

Whats the point to start early?
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    snlf25 wrote:
    Same boat. Can't find any points once I get over 650. Just came in 65th in Vicious Cycle with only 656 points in a bracket I was in from the beginning. Really wanted 1000 in that one. It's become a ceaselessly recurring story. I can't hit 1000 points anymore because the opponents just aren't there. It has been this way for me since shortly after 3* Bullseye debuted and I am rapidly losing interest in the game. I've had one useable token pull out of the last 250 or so as well. The destruction of the 4* DDQ by difficulty ramping and the raising of point totals needed to get the Legendary Tokens from PvE progressions has pretty much halted my progress and left me much more indifferent to playing. I think that's worse than being mad.

Unholy Outlaw was a whole different story. I came in 27th with 1023 points and had to shield twice to get my Hulkbuster black. The only difference was the Iron Fist covers at stake with purple being awarded for top 100. Iron Fist is of course one of the covers they are the stingiest with there was actual player interest in the event. I really do think that the lack of new 3*s is what's screwing things up for me because this very much was a return to what I'm used to. I never once lacked high point matches. I might have been able to hit 1300 if not for Thor and Black Panther being boosted. AOE attacks everywhere and very high health opponents slowed me down. Used my 4 tacos to get some healthpacks and pulled 4* Cyclops blue and 1000 HP which was nice. Also got a heroic from a daily drop and pulled an Elektra red. Great couple of days.

Lack of new 3*s has changed the meta greatly for players at my level.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Things picked up for me near the end. Last season I was done with two PvPs to go, this time it was down to the last one. I'm surprised since a few PvPs had sub-800 points.

I even got a few 1000s lately too. I just hope I can manage it for a green Jean.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Gonna be tough for me to make it. I only have 179 points right now with 13 hours to go. Needed a break after Unholy Outlaw. Snagging that 12th Iron Fist and knowing it will be done the 17th (and the Hulkbuster!) had me pumped and left me drained after it wore off. Just chilled and did DDQ today.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    I personally run early in the slice 2/4 (when I'm just focusing on placement) because even if I get dropped down, its never by enough to remove me from the top 100.

I float and late on slice 1/3 when I'm just going for the progression rewards, since people push by the 300/600 marks really fast and stuff. Ended a night at 600, woke up the next day and went to work (16 hours later essentially) and only got dropped to 540. Climbed to the 800 mark and left it again because I wanna climb the shield sim.

I will say this, I do cheese the points system a bit though. I have been known to pull a queue-retreat on a decent pointed node not only to set my team/point scaling back a touch but to do so with minimal loss. Went from only seeing 20 point nodes to seeing 37 and 40 point nodes.