Good Thing or Bad Thing: Buyer's Alliances

2»

Comments

• IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I think I'd be more in favor of it under two circumstances:
    A) An agreement with other mercenaries who don't have a permanent "home", and well... they're mercenaries.
    B) A quick sub alliance among one's own clan, for those with alliances that have several chapters (looking at you, X-Men, Django, etc.). Even then, I'd only consider it viable as long as everyone was buying more than just a "Logan's Loonies".
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ethics is such a slippery slope, but here's how the cards fall imo;

I don't think it's a big deal ethically. These people don't leave, take their score, and never bring it back. The Alliance loses nothing because those players migrate right back to their home alliance after they buy (similar to how some Alliances merc out players per event if they score certain thresholds).

Just as much as the sentiment of "your Alliance was good enough before freebies" is 'true' (it's not really because they come right back - for all practically applications they don't even really leave), the sentiment of "these players are spending literal hundreds of dollars and they don't own the Alliance anything earned from their hard earned dollar" is equally true.

I do think it's maybe a little disingenuous if these players are doing so without giving Commanders a head's up first, because that can lead to presumptions, but from what I've seen, that's not really the case.

I say this as the person that 100% agrees the other way around that an Alliance doesn't own anything to any specific individual and if they need to be removed or shuffled somewhere else for the good of the Alliance, then, well, that's how the cookie crumbles my friend.

(As far as non-ethically/economically speaking, I feel like this is such an abysmally small percentage of the playerbase that it's a non-factor.)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Even for the guy with 69 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers, he's in my season bracket and STILL not in first place
    He's probably too bored to bother. Seriously, what's the point when you already have everything the game has to offer?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Even for the guy with 69 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers, he's in my season bracket and STILL not in first place
    He's probably too bored to bother. Seriously, what's the point when you already have everything the game has to offer?
    even if I had all the disposable income in the world I don't think I would completely whale everything because of this right here. would I spend more? sure. but once you have everything, what else is there to play for? I still like the game and would play casually but certainly wouldn't put the time in it that I do now.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    even if I had all the disposable income in the world I don't think I would completely whale everything because of this right here. would I spend more? sure. but once you have everything, what else is there to play for? I still like the game and would play casually but certainly wouldn't put the time in it that I do now.

Some people just enjoy having everything. People use to pay me to play their Wow accounts for them to get Gladiator title which is a pvp rank. They wouldn't know a damn thing about pvp, but they'd sure wear their title proud. I've heard princes would pay thousands of dollars to have pros play for them. It's pretty wild. I wish I was that wild.