4* character balancing

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I haven't seen nearly as many balancing request threads as I used to, either I'm not paying attention or people have just given up.

I just wanted to say that for as difficult as it is to obtain 4* covers, there shouldn't be any terrible ones. I recognize (but don't like) the need for the devs to have some power creep. Not many whales are going to bite the hook if you're using a turd as bait, but I don't understand how/why they would not do any updating at all to bring up the bad ones a bit and stop releasing new bad ones.

Do they just "seem" bad because of how far above the pack the 3-4 really good ones are? Isn't that a problem too?

Is it because play-ability of the game is the last in their line of concerns?

Comments

• Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Any company's first priority is to make a profit for themselves and their stakeholders.

If what they are doing is working towards that goal, then they will continue doing it.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I haven't seen nearly as many balancing request threads as I used to, either I'm not paying attention or people have just given up.

There have been, they just take place in the proper forum.. the character forum..
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I just wanted to say that for as difficult as it is to obtain 4* covers, there shouldn't be any terrible ones.

So far, the only 4* i have not found a use for is Reed... other than that, they all have their uses.. not everyone plays PVE, and not everyone plays PVP.. but even SL has a place. Some are more powerful.. some are great support characters, and some are just niche, but all useful.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    So far, the only 4* i have not found a use for is Reed... other than that, they all have their uses.. not everyone plays PVE, and not everyone plays PVP.. but even SL has a place. Some are more powerful.. some are great support characters, and some are just niche, but all useful.

Just because SL has some niche role does not mean he's a not terrible character and badly in need of rebalancing. That said, I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for any character buff/nerf pass.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see that niche argument a lot whenever someone suggests that a character is terrible. IM40 is a great example. You can't say something negative about him without someone popping up like "he generates red!"; yeah, we know. He still sucks. Yes, Starlord has a theoretical use. Do you use him? How often?

I don't understand the point of arguing against this. Regardless of whether or not they have a niche use, how would the game not be better if they were more balanced?

To me, if you wouldn't play a boosted character over an unboosted one, then either the former is terrible or the latter is op.

As for the "in the proper place" comment, you can move as you see fit. I read the forum by looking at active threads, not subforums, so I'd see it no matter where they got posted assuming I was looking before they got buried. This seemed like a more general gameplay comment/question than a specific character related issue, but whatever.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll back up OP against Malcrof's counter as well. Just because you can find a use for these characters, doesn't mean you will. Especially in the face of many vastly superior options. I'd take any top-tier 3* over any of these wastes of space in the 4* tier: Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Star-Lord, Faptain. (Maybe Ghost Rider, too.) Not only would I take them first, I'd win handily in a face-off. Give me Cyke, Iron Fist, and...well, a lot of people in 3* land, and I will mop the floor with any maxed combo of them.

They're bad, and no amount of tortured apologetics will make that not be the case. I'm channeling the spirit of Phantron here, repeating myself over and over. There is no excuse for **** characters that are hard to get and expensive to build. NONE.

*note: I liked Phantron and miss his posts. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Just because SL has some niche role does not mean he's a not terrible character and badly in need of rebalancing. That said, I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for any character buff/nerf pass.

Agree, you can have chars with different types of play AND also being good chars! IW, Elektra, SL, RR, CapFalcon, etc. have niche uses but they are quite bad compared with the other 4s, and they really need some love.

There are some things that are inexplicable like CapFalcon blue being worse than Falcon yellow !?!?!? RR blue being more expensive and far worse than iceman blue ?!?!?! And the worst is that most of these have some easy fixes that could help a lot like RR blue needs to cost 6, his black do 1.5 damage and add his colors to the list, SL being able to place all his countdowns would help him a lot, CapFalcon blue needs to be better and red should cost 13, etc.

Devs NEED to start applying small fixes. In almost ALL games the apply small fixes, before doing reworks...
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

As i tell every1 that disses Sl,a cyc Sl and switch team is incredibly good
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of the 3*'s have pretty niche uses as well. Most aren't using GSBW outside of winfinite. I don't see Falcon in PVP, but he's a PVE mvp.

Some of the 4*'s might be like that - the problem is most players will -never know-. Setting aside the "how do I get the covers?" argument, let's just look at the leveling argument.

The easiest way to get 4*'s currently is PVP. So you select characters (first) that will be most effective in PVP. I have seen rosters with maxed IW/SL/Elektra that are boosted - and they choose a variety of 270's over those boosted 4* options.

As 4*'s continue to grow, you'll want to continue to level those that help you get more 4*'s right? And then you'll want -all- of the PVP effective ones leveled first so you have the best chance when they are boosted. You won't want to be taking your boosted maxed FalCap/MrF against a boosted/maxed IceMan/Thing.

....this has turned into an argument that no PVE characters should really have niche uses, I guess.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    4*'s should ALL be atleast useful. Simply becuase of the time it takes to aquire one and so on. You can't expect all to be as good as a HB either. The game seems to be more offence oriented which makes support types like IW seem useless. I think for IW(support)to be more useful she(they) needs to be better at what she(they) is trying to do. HB for example is good at what he does IW (and others) haven't really decided what they are going to be good at. Am I offence or defence? When they seem in the middle and not being good at 1 or the other thier terrible.

On a side note I'm hopeing Cho will be in the useful catagory.