MPQ Interview: Four Guys And A Comic Podcast

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone,

If you're looking for some insider info on Marvel Puzzle Quest to tide you over this weekend - you'll want to catch the latest issue of the Four Guys And A Comic podcast.

In the 'cast, the interview team take a deep dive into the game in a sit down with MPQ producer, Joe Fletcher (perhaps better known to forum users as 'IceIX'). This fun conversation (running nearly an hour) covers game mechanics, character plans, the relationship with Marvel, comic books, and much more.

You can LISTEN HERE.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Listening now.. fty it is 50 minutes long... not sure how long the QA is though.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Listened to this last night. Posted this summary to the other thread viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=35587 but will repost here.

From memory here are some notes on what was covered as it relates to MPQ.

- There are a couple new features coming and it sounds like they want to roll everything out all at once to avoid chaos and letting to people adjust all at once.
    - Something like a cross-event leaderboard (bigger than seasons, over all events PvE and PvP) or some sort of goal based system is coming to dole out more rewards for playing is coming. Could be like a daily resupply but tied to the amount you play, not just playing once per day.
    - They will be adjusting CP flow by the above feature and allowing new ways to earn it. Another hint at selling covers for CP and being able to buy 3* and 4* character covers with CP.
    - They are aware of the issues around legendary tokens and how the randomness affects both actual and perceived notions of player progression. They want to fix this.
    - They are aware of the issues with scaling that adding a 5* to a L94 roster can cause as well as more general issues with the current power level of 5*s. Expect these to be fixed.
    - More new stories and new characters, both heroes and villains, new and variants. An All-New Avenger was teased which basically cements Miles Morales as the next 4*.
    - Don't expect more 3* and most new characters will be 4* but they will still release the one-off 1* and 2* .

In all it sounds like some massive changes are coming and they will be for the better though as always the devil is in the details.

Please forgive any mistakes, I am going off of memory and could have some things wrong but the basic jist is as above.

Thanks to IceIX for being so as forthcoming as he was without giving everything away. Looking forward to what is coming to MPQ!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    He also clearly states PURPLE not pink.. debate over.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only one who didn't realize that Joe Fletcher is IceIX. Please. I can't be the only one. icon_redface.gif
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't know until the last Marvel.Com interview thread.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    vudu3 wrote:
    Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only one who didn't realize that Joe Fletcher is IceIX. Please. I can't be the only one. icon_redface.gif

Same. Had no clue Joey=Icy icon_redface.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I was one of the first people to realise that JF = IIX, several months ago when Ice, referring to an interview quote of JF as "I". icon_e_biggrin.gif
    - They are aware of the issues around legendary tokens and how the randomness affects both actual and perceived notions of player progression. They want to fix this.

Thank goodness, I can shut up now. Everybody, rejoice!
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any idea on the estimated schedule for roll-out? Next season, next year, next....?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any idea on the estimated schedule for roll-out? Next season, next year, next....?

Based on what IceIX has said on the forums it is likely to be rolled out the beginning of next year. Though it could be slightly earlier.

It was also said that the December community video would provide more details. So I would expect to hear more in the next week or so.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    - They are aware of the issues around legendary tokens and how the randomness affects both actual and perceived notions of player progression

Bring the 4* cover back to 1300 in PvP. Or leave legendary there and put 4* cover at 1200 maybe some ISO or CP at 1100
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "We don't want to spend development time on a feature that's "Eh, it's just kinda there.""

You mean like the Vault? Or like Command Points?

Also really enjoyed the part about how they're rolling out new story campaigns all the time to keep players invested. You know, things like Enemy of the State (Dec 2014) followed by that story's continuation in the Ghostrider PvE (Nov 2015). And erm. That other story we had, err...what was it called? Oh yeah, the ones that didn't exist 8I
    Not sure we can really count Ant Man's event as story since...there wasn't one. Galactus and Ultron didn't have a story either.

Sorry I'm sounding so negative here but a lot of the stuff Ice is saying is directly contradicted by the game he's developing for.

So new character...either Sam Alexander of Miles Morales next. I'm betting the former for now since we have two Spider Mans already, one being relatively recent.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    "We don't want to spend development time on a feature that's "Eh, it's just kinda there.""

You mean like the Vault? Or like Command Points?

Also really enjoyed the part about how they're rolling out new story campaigns all the time to keep players invested. You know, things like Enemy of the State (Dec 2014) followed by that story's continuation in the Ghostrider PvE (Nov 2015). And erm. That other story we had, err...what was it called? Oh yeah, the ones that didn't exist 8I
    Not sure we can really count Ant Man's event as story since...there wasn't one. Galactus and Ultron didn't have a story either.

Sorry I'm sounding so negative here but a lot of the stuff Ice is saying is directly contradicted by the game he's developing for.

So new character...either Sam Alexander of Miles Morales next. I'm betting the former for now since we have two Spider Mans already, one being relatively recent.

Yeah at 6 minutes in I was like ****? New story events all the time?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668

February 29th.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:

February 29th.

i'm gonna guess Smarch 32nd
  • Malcrof wrote:
    He also clearly states PURPLE not pink.. debate over.
    He also said we would have TUs on DDQ legendary node, so...