Warning about In-App purchases w/ Partial Google Play Credit

Mercurywolf
Mercurywolf Posts: 60
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Honestly, I wasn't sure how to word the title, but I wanted to share something real quick:

Over the Black Friday weekend, I won some Google Play cards from a drawing at my local mall. I decided to use them on Stark Salaries. My first purchase worked fine, leaving me with a balance of $90.01.

I went ahead and bought a 2nd Stark Salary thinking that the $90.01 would be deducted from my balance, and the rest ($9.98) would go on my CC.

When I checked my bank balance on Monday, I saw that I had been charged the full $99.99, and the Google Play amount was untouched. I did send a ticket into customer support asking if that could be corrected, but haven't heard anything yet.

I just wanted to post a quick warning that it seems that if you don't have enough credit in your Google Play account to pay for the entire purchase, the mobile app won't split the purchase amount between the credit and your card on file.

Comments

• madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on doing something similar today.
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Yeah I've know about this for a while now, but I assumed it was just not capable of doing a transaction that way. It did include a pop up that clearly stated how much would be deducted on the credit card. So when this has happened in the past I just manually added funds to the account with my card so that I had the google play balance I needed to make the purchase. I get it if your just mashing buttons to get it done but when ever I'm spending money I always go slow looking for potential money land mines.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, I wasn't sure how to word the title, but I wanted to share something real quick:

Over the Black Friday weekend, I won some Google Play cards from a drawing at my local mall. I decided to use them on Stark Salaries. My first purchase worked fine, leaving me with a balance of $90.01.

I went ahead and bought a 2nd Stark Salary thinking that the $90.01 would be deducted from my balance, and the rest ($9.98) would go on my CC.

When I checked my bank balance on Monday, I saw that I had been charged the full $99.99, and the Google Play amount was untouched. I did send a ticket into customer support asking if that could be corrected, but haven't heard anything yet.

I just wanted to post a quick warning that it seems that if you don't have enough credit in your Google Play account to pay for the entire purchase, the mobile app won't split the purchase amount between the credit and your card on file.

This has happened to me once, a quick call to Google customer service fixed it within minutes. They honestly have some of the best customer service ever.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    That's rude!

Steam is always awesome about doing this flawlessly.

Not that I would know anything about that *cough*

Will keep this in mind when not spending money on Android.

Thanks!

Well, for me steam is a weird 2 step process. If you buy, for example $20 purchase but your steam wallet can't cover, for me the transaction would be declined. So I would need to buy that $25 steam wallet and THEN make the 20 bucks purchase in-game.

If I buy something on steam in general, but wallet doesn't cover the entire purchase, the balance DOES get deducted first.