Crit Tile Irregular Resolving... a known issue?

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
I have come across this issue in game a number of times now, wherein you make a match 5 and the crit tile directly triggers before the resulting cascade and other instances wherein the tile falls before triggering.

For clarity I will try and explain further:

In the below example extract of a board matching the five center greens will create a crit tile.

bluetile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
purpletile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png
purpletile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.png
blacktile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngyellowtile.png
yellowtile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

Once created the board will look like this (prior to the tile dropping)

bluetile.pngyellowtile.png .... yellowtile.pngbluetile.png
purpletile.pnggreentile.png .... redtile.pngredtile.png
purpletile.pngblacktile.pnggreencrit.pngblacktile.pngredtile.png
blacktile.pngbluetile.png .... yellowtile.pngyellowtile.png
yellowtile.pngredtile.png .... redtile.pngredtile.png

There have been instances in game where at this point the crit tile will immediately trigger (in this example matching the adjacent black tiles), and other times the crit tile will fall and resolve once it settles (which in this case would match the reds at the bottom of the board).

Has anyone else noticed this in game, and if not pay particular attention to your crit tile behavior over the next few games. Its consistently inconsistent so you should pick up on it fairly quickly.

Is this a known issue, or even an issue at all? Is there a mechanism in game which I am missing which determines whether the crit tile should resolve or drop in the cascade first?

Comments

• Very long standing well-known issue.
  • Wooodd
    Thanks for confirming.

Has there ever been any Dev response on the issue, or as to when the tile should resolve?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2015
    i see that all the time.

sometimes the crit tile falls even when there is a match, like in your example with the two blacks.
    never figured out when or why the crit ignores a match
    Wooodd wrote:
    Thanks for confirming.

Has there ever been any Dev response on the issue, or as to when the tile should resolve?
    muahahaha...
    The presence of certain characters with abilities that trigger on matches causes this. OBW, Mystique and Prof X can all cause this, and there may be others.
    i dont see the connection between certain characters/abilities and the behaviour of the crit tile?
    not much experience with mystique and px, but what skills of obw trigger that and why?
    but it would make sense, as obw is one of my most often used characters and this happens a lot for me
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The presence of certain characters with abilities that trigger on matches causes this. OBW, Mystique and Prof X can all cause this, and there may be others.
  • Wooodd

That makes sense.

So where I thought I was getting screwed out of a match 4 with the crit, the game was actually working in my favour to trigger an ability (such as OBWs espionage).

Actually a legitimate instance of working as intended
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the existence of Jean Grey, I'm now glad for any opportunity to ensure that crit tiles match on my turn.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Wooodd wrote:
    Thanks for confirming.

If you have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17505

It got a dev response... course, it also got locked & there wasn't an actual _answer_, but it did get a response.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Basically, the length of time the bug has persisted for combined with the ongoing radio silence from the devs is pretty indicative of the fact that the underlying event processing order is seriously flawed and would require a substantial rewrite to work correctly. It's similar to the long-standing issue of countdown tiles ticking down a second time if they drop down beneath the current processed tile. The core mechanic of the game - matching tiles and applying results - is fundamentally broken, but because it's not as visible as shiny new 5* characters, it's nowhere near the top of anyone's giving-a-flying-fudge-about-it list.

And to be perfectly blunt, they're right. The far bigger concern is the lack of direction the game is veering toward in its endless rush to provide more powerful rarities to entice those whales to keep funding their pay checks. Those of us still actually using the characters for which this is a problem aren't a priority in any way.
  • Wooodd
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    Thanks for confirming.

If you have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17505

It got a dev response... course, it also got locked & there wasn't an actual _answer_, but it did get a response.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
    So a year ago it was a widely known and old issue and after 5 months or so of discussion the devs response was basically "Yeah, so". Nice.

Even just a "Sorry, the issue is too inbedded into the core mechanics of the game and theres nothing we can do about it" would be nice.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    Even just a "Sorry, the issue is too inbedded into the core mechanics of the game and theres nothing we can do about it" would be nice.

That would mean the developer would have to admit to a mistake. They generally don't.
    It takes a lot; a loooooo
    t, of cumulative complaining and front-page exposure for them to step out and admit a mistake was made.

This issue doesn't quite qualify.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    bug, forgotten feature or whatever...

its random, ive had it happen with and without obw, and regardless of my team the crit tile triggers before or after falling. you cant be sure.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell wrote:
    bug, forgotten feature or whatever...

its random, ive had it happen with and without obw, and regardless of my team the crit tile triggers before or after falling. you cant be sure.
    It depends on having at least one of the characters that do something special on tile matches on either your or the enemy team. That definitely includes OBW, but also includes some or all of Professor X, Loki, and others.