5* - how does it affect PvP and PvE scaling

Options
so i've read a number of posts on scaling and 5* but i walk away rather confused and without any proper conclusion, except that maybe i shouldn't open LTs until im sure i can have them on my roster.

my situation is this - i am a 2* transitioning to 3*. i have a number of 3*s which i've capped at level 94 in line with my main 2*s.

i just opened a LT (out of curiosity, sleep-deprived etc) to find i got a OML yellowflag.png . does this mess things up for me, scaling-wise for PvP and/or PvE, and if yes, what should i do hereafter?

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    depends on who you ask

some people with a similar roster rant about a single 5* destroying their game experience because of insane scaling afterward.
    others dont really notice any changes, even with a roster like yours: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36138

personally, i have 6 legendary tokens, my 3*s are softcapped at 102/104 but still not sure if i want to open them just now.
    maybe i do, draw one of the best items in the game and immediately quit after rostering him. or just throw healthpacks at the AI until the game decides im still a noob and scales back to be more playable, dunno
  • monstermike
    Options
    I recently added SS to my roster. All of my toons are leveled no higher than 130.

In PvE, I have NOT used SS in any match or event. My scaling is exactly the same prior to adding SS. My theory is, if I were to use him, even one in PvE, it would then in fact screw my scaling.

PvP on the other hand is a whole different story. The last 5+ seasons, I hit my 4k progression for my underwhelming 10 pack. That's my goal, makes me happy.

The night prior to adding SS to my roster I was up to like, well whatever the Psylocke token is, point wise. Very close to that, and I usually make it to 1700k in the SIM.

After playing, added my SS cover, as time was about to expire. Within 1 hour, I was hit for over 300+ points. Mind you, I had not been attacked a single time prior to SS being added.

PvP events, I hit the 3 base teams, and from there it's teams of maxed 3*/4* that my roster can't touch. I have to spend a ton of ISO on skips to even find someone I can compare to. I could hit 500pts with ease prior to SS, now I struggle to hit 300..

tl;dr If rostered and not used in PvE, won't effect scaling. PvP you're **** once you roster..
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    Hi Mike. Can concur I'm in the same situation as you and I've sold Silver Surfer. I'm really glad I've found someone in the situation I'm in and sorry it's hit you too.

I've informed D3 Support about this issue and have gone round and round and round in circles such as this:

PvP scaling is primarily affected by your own performance. The ranking that you achieved in previous events, combined with your ranking in the current event, determine the majority of the players that you will face. The event Time Shard that you select will also play into the scaling, as it changes the pool of players that you can play against based on who else chose this Time Shard."

> My response:
    > Ok, so I've hardly scored anything in PVP for the last few months which means I haven't placed high in events, have an extremely low ranking in the any new event I play in. So how does that determine that I should be grouped in with ultra high ranked characters who I cannot beat. Unfortunately this doesn't make sense. I'm not even getting 300 points in a PVP event. I think I've achieved 800 points once since I've started playing and cannot remember the last time I earned a 3* cover in a PVP.
    >
    > This all seems to tie in with when I rostered Silver Surfer....
    >
    > Sorry folks, this doesn't add up at all."
    >
    > You have not answered this question at all. If I was absolutely killing PVP I could understand why I was grouped in with these players. I'm not.
    >
    > I shall try to spell this out as simply as I can because I don't think you understand me.
    >
    > I have never achieved 1000 points in PVP at all.
    > This means I've never hit 1300 points.
    > I've never finished 1st or 2nd.
    > I cannot remember the last time I was competitive in a PVP match as the players I face are so highly levelled they beat me comprehensively.
    > I cannot remember the last time I got a 3* character in a PVP event.
    > I cannot remember the last time I hit 300 points for the token in a PVP event.

They got back to me with this classic:
    "We deeply apologize for not including the information that relates to PvE scaling and only giving information on PvE scaling."

So you apologise for not including information that relates to PVE scaling and only gave information on PVE scaling? Did you mean to type PVP in there somewhere? icon_e_smile.gif

Basically, it is of my opinion that the game experience has changed negatively for me since I got a 5* character.

I will not ask any more questions as I feel we are going around in circles - I've stated that I am not placing high in PVP events nor am I unlocking 300 points in PVP events to get a PVP event token. My rank in PVP events is extremely low as I cannot play it so unfortunately I do not understand how I can be match maked with guys with max level rosters based on all the things you have explained. How can being thrown in with max level players be appropriate for my game level I simply do not know.

If I had several 166 max characters I could understand - then I'd be competitive and not get my **** handed to me each time I play.

I will simply ask this question:

My game experience has deteriorated since I rostered Silver Surfer. This is not helping me play the game or enjoy it. I would like to sell Silver Surfer - but can I have it on record that I can have him restored to my roster at some point in the future - I need to see if PVP gets back to the level it was before I rostered him - I need to enjoy playing the game again guys.

If it doesn't change after selling Silver Surfer, can I then ask you to restore him for me at some point in the future please?"

After receiving this:
    Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused to you, and are thankful for the feedback you have submitted.

We take our customer's feedback very seriously and we will certainly discuss it with the rest of the team and take it into consideration.

If you would like to submit further feedback on the subject, as well as stay up to date on current and future information, please visit the forums:

http://d3go.com/forums/

I have personally added your feedback to our database. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.

I had to basically one line question them as I was getting nowhere. Finally they said:

We are unable to restore any characters sold from your roster. You may sell your Silver Surfer (Skyrider) if that is what you would like to do, but please note that we will not be able to restore the character to you.

I've sold him.

I've managed to score 300 points in a PVP again.

Draw your own conclusions....even though silver surfer "does not affect PVP difficulty"....I know where I stand here icon_e_smile.gif
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    I have level 136 characters.

When winning, I got level 165 team ups. My conclusion was that the AI though I had a level 165 roster (255 + 136 + 136 / 3 = 176)

PVE was about 20 levels higher with SS.

I couldn't hang with level 220+ characters and 4*s.

Will keep you updated.
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    Now getting level 136 team ups.

Can now compete in PVP.

Selling SS has improved my experience.
  • monstermike
    Options
    Update!

I have kept on SS and also have added on OML.

Once again, my PvE, in unchanged. Keep in mind, I have yet to use either of the 5* in actual matches in any PvE event, and because of that, I don't think they have affected my scaling in any way whatsoever. I do feel I were to use them, my scaling would indeed change.

PvP however, is still completely ****. I typically hit 1700+ in SIM & 4k per season, never shield, yadda yadda. This season, I think both of those goals are very far reach.

In every event so far, this season & last, after the 3 initial seed teams (or 5 in the SIM), I immediately hit maxed teams, 3x 166 in the SIM or 3x max boosted in events. No matter how many times I skip, doesn't matter which node, I don't get a team remotely close to my level. My roster, aside from my 2 5* are soft capped at 130. PvP is pretty much unplayable for me at this point.

I emailed them as well, as someone did above, and got the same generic email response and a deflected answer.

tl;dr
    If adding 5* to roster, will ruin PvP. If no use 5* in PvE at all, will not affect scaling.
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    Agree 100% Mike. I can now hit 300 points in PVP again icon_lol.gif
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just got Spider-Man Back in Black few days before. Should I be happy? How is it that I'm angry to get one of best characters in game? How is it, that one the rewards iun game is a curse? I have 2 stars roster. My best developed 3 stars are far worse than my 2 stars. Yet I was able to get at least 400 points reward in any PvP played. Got my 4000 points 10-Pack reward last season. What I meet are not worse than top 3 stars enemies!!!!! Why I feel so ***** screwed? Is it really the only option - sell it? This is sick.
  • joaoleal
    joaoleal Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Xzasxz wrote:
    I just got Spider-Man Back in Black few days before. Should I be happy? How is it that I'm angry to get one of best characters in game? How is it, that one the rewards iun game is a curse? I have 2 stars roster. My best developed 3 stars are far worse than my 2 stars. Yet I was able to get at least 400 points reward in any PvP played. Got my 4000 points 10-Pack reward last season. What I meet are not worse than top 3 stars enemies!!!!! Why I feel so ***** screwed? Is it really the only option - sell it? This is sick.

Sell... my last two CP bought limited tokens gave me two phoenix covers... that's going to the market in a hurry, sadly
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xzasxz wrote:
    I feel like at the top of any guides and FAQs we have here should be a note that says, "Don't open legendary tokens until you're ready to add 4* and 5* characters to your roster!" While it shouldn't have such a negative impact on your game, it clearly does, and the developers have yet to offer any serious indication that a fix for this is coming soon.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel like at the top of any guides and FAQs we have here should be a note that says, "Don't open legendary tokens until you're ready to add 4* and 5* characters to your roster!" While it shouldn't have such a negative impact on your game, it clearly does, and the developers have yet to offer any serious indication that a fix for this is coming soon.
    I don't think anyone's roster is unprepared for 4*s. at a reasonable level 70 it won't affect scaling of anyone except 1* rosters, and that 1 cover 4* can likely be used by 1* rosters for meat shields, etc. to me 5*s should have started somewhere in the 150-180 range and then gone up from there, but they didn't ask me. that hit on scaling would be much more easily taken by 2* rosters than 255.
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I don't think anyone's roster is unprepared for 4*s. at a reasonable level 70 it won't affect scaling of anyone except 1* rosters, and that 1 cover 4* can likely be used by 1* rosters for meat shields, etc. to me 5*s should have started somewhere in the 150-180 range and then gone up from there, but they didn't ask me. that hit on scaling would be much more easily taken by 2* rosters than 255.
    My only counter to this is that someone with a 2* roster who hasn't yet recruited all the 3*s and doesn't have the HP income to roster every new character isn't ready for guaranteed 4* covers. The best outcome there would be that they get early access to essential nodes for extra command points. Otherwise, that single cover will likely remain a single cover for a long, long time. Once the 3*s are there and developing to the point that they can sell off some 2*s, then I'd say you might be ready. But until you're maxing out your top 3*s, you still run the risk of getting blown up by pulling a couple of 5*s.
  • Xzasxz
    Options
    joaoleal wrote:
    Xzasxz wrote:

Sell... my last two CP bought limited tokens gave me two phoenix covers... that's going to the market in a hurry, sadly

That was real "fun" icon_evil.gif to go through Sub-Event 6: SHIELD Base: Hell's Kitchen, when my 5 star.png Spidey was taken to calculation of enemies level and then not allowed to participate, cause he was in the enemy team. SOLD!!! Never ever I will open any LT until I have at least good championed 3 star.png roster. Preerably with some usable 4 star.png
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here is the thing though, those 4* characters can be useful for newer players because of essentials. They will not place high in PvE events without them most likely. Also keep in mind, if you had held on to that token it doesn't mean you would have opened a 5* at that time. Your chances are still so low of pulling a 5*, I think 4* tokens are worth accumulating at any level. What they should do is make 5* tokens worth a lot for those new in the game who have to sell them. Make it worth 10,000 iso and 5 heroic tokens etc if you choose to sell one as opposed to roster them. It still doesn't stop the pain but would help diminish it somewhat. Veteran players would still roster the 5* because they are still worth far more than that but a good chunk of iso and some good shots at 3* covers would really help early players.
  • Xzasxz
    Options
    I've sold my first and only 5 star.png nearly 2 months ago. I didn't regret in ever since then. Gathered over 350 CP and not going to spend any of them, until I have well developed 3 star.png roster, even if it takes half a year or more. My strong advise to newcomers: do not rush to buy/open legendary covers - not worth it, until you are well prepared for possible consequences.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Basically I'm in the same boat:

I have about half of the 2 star.png characters championed and am still building the other 2 star.png s.
    3 star.png : I have about 25 different characters but all stuck at the lower levels and with very few covers
    4 star.png : I have 5 of them, each with 1 cover

... and then I happened to get a 5 star.png . Since they are rare, I don't want to sell that cover.

So if I understood correctly, as long as I don't use my 5 star.png , PVE will be unaffected but PVP will be severely affected regardless of whether or not I use my 5 star.png . Is that correct?
    I have used my 5 star.png in PVE events in the past, so does the system check per event and/or sub-event? Or did I screw myself by using that 5 star.png once in PVE, thus scaling difficulty upward for all events?
  • Xzasxz
    Options
    Both PvP and PvE are affected. Regardless if u use it or not.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    I recently cashed in 20CP and received a red Silver Surfer. At the time I thought this was really cool, but after reading this it confirms my suspicions.

Shortly after adding him to my roster I noticed that PvP got real hard real fast. I used to be able to get close to 800 in PvP events, but now I have trouble getting to 300. My roster has a fully covered Black Panther, and a number of other 3* between 7-10 covers. I think adding SS placed me in a new difficulty level that is making things more frustrating than fun. Maybe I should sell him off and see what happens. I think I use him a couple of times just to try him out, but his red power at 1 is less than my 2* Ms. Marvel's red.
  • Stussi
    Stussi Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Reverse question: what happen if you add some * character to your ***/****/***** roster?
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    Nothing meaningful