LTs and 5*s - a poll

TxMoose
TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
would it be better if the LTs were 4* only, but every 10th LT gave a random guaranteed 5*? that would take all the luck out of pulling or not pulling 5*s. luck would still come into play as to which character/cover you got, but would benefit the higher players more, which, to me, would seem more fair. I'm sure there's an angle/drawback I'm not seeing, so lets discuss.

also, what are other ideas that would better the current system? lots of complaining flying around - what would make it work for you?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    also, what are other ideas that would better the current system? lots of complaining flying around - what would make it work for you?
    A no-reset vault would've worked, but this idea is fine too. Can I be grandfathered so I get 10% 5s for the tokens I've already redeemed?
  • maybe you trade in lets say 20-30 LT for one with a higher or guaranteed 5* draw? That way you can spin the wheel at 10% or keep hoarding and trade in. You don't get the added bonus of maybe getting more than one, but it gives those higher up in the progression something else to aim for.

There could actually be a similar system for Heroic etc - trade in 30 for an LT or CP
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Take a quick look around the forums.. people really hate pulling 5*s, they apparently ruin their game, scaling, and whatnot... so forcing a 5* on them ..... now your just asking for a riot.

Leave the tokens alone, they are fine.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    bobbyfish wrote:
    maybe you trade in lets say 20-30 LT for one with a higher or guaranteed 5* draw?
    This doesn't give you more 5s, and it would also make you miss out on dozens of 4s.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know what a good solution would be but in my case, I have to use LTS because I have nearly all the 4 stars rostered. It's a case of damned if I do or damned if I don't.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    How about a 50 cover vault with five 5* covers that lasts a month? The vault mechanic was such a good idea; it's just too bad it is used so poorly.
  • I voted for option B, because i am not interested in 5 stars, this means that the first 9 LT's are safe to open for me.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    How about creating an alternate method of purchasing 5* covers by turning in X number of LTs? It would need to be balanced with the whole CP economy.

Heck do the same for 4*s. Maybe two 2LTs can get you the cover you want?
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    On first thought this sounds great. On second thought, this unintended consequence of this would pretty much be that newbs could skip 4 stars entirely. All they need to do is play for top progression and keep a low level roster. Eventually, all the LT progression awards will let them skip maybe 3 or 4 stars. The randomness of it sucks for players like us that have so many 4 stars covered already, but it also prevents noobs from skipping half the game to catch up with us.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Some players whine because they pull 5* and supposedly it messes up with their scaling.

Others whine because they pull dupes.

Others whine because even if the cover they pull it's needed, it's not Jean Grey nor Iceman.

I guess I could whine because I have opened over twenty or thirty legendaries and I haven't pulled a single 5*.

No matter what you do, someone will find a reason to whine.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Take a quick look around the forums.. people really hate pulling 5*s, they apparently ruin their game, scaling, and whatnot... so forcing a 5* on them ..... now your just asking for a riot.

Leave the tokens alone, they are fine.
    see this...
    Frasaria wrote:
    I voted for option B, because i am not interested in 5 stars, this means that the first 9 LT's are safe to open for me.
    edit: mal - this would take care of the rng token whining and a 'hold/bench' to place your 5*s that you cannot use in-game but would not influence your scaling. I think those 2 things together solve a bunch of issues that are floating around right now. in the bench/hold you could add covers, but not levels and could not use them in any part of the game. it could even come with some nominal hp cost to use. I'd stick both of my 5s in.

and for:
    notamutant wrote:
    On first thought this sounds great. On second thought, this unintended consequence of this would pretty much be that newbs could skip 4 stars entirely. All they need to do is play for top progression and keep a low level roster. Eventually, all the LT progression awards will let them skip maybe 3 or 4 stars. The randomness of it sucks for players like us that have so many 4 stars covered already, but it also prevents noobs from skipping half the game to catch up with us.
    with 3 characters, you need at least 6-7 covers on one before they become marginally effective, meaning you'd probably need at least 12-15 pulls of 5*s, meaning if they saved up 100-150 LTs they could skip 3*s?? sorry, but I have a 5 cover ss and he isn't scaring anyone. took down a ss in the 300s (with jean and cyke) with ~8 covers with jean/cyke/hood taking minimal damage. by the time they saved up enough to skip anything, they aren't skipping anything.

I think it would take out some of the rng factor in what is supposed to be the end game. whales would have a known target - just decide to spend or not spend, but would still be limited in how the covers fell. vets and high-end that get several LTs/week could get up to a 5* cover every 2 weeks or so. lower players that aren't ready (and they'd be getting LTs at a much slower rate) could at least open 9 safely with no worries and if they sold the first 5* they'd have 18 4*s. by then maybe they're ready for a 5*? not sure it solves everything but it seems like it would be better to me. and before you think it would help me, it wouldn't - my draw rate is slightly over 10%, so normalizing it to a static every 10th pull would not have been better. I don't think the current system is horrible or anything. I do think a more static progression-type system would be better.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    To keep it at 10% odds, trade in 10 LTs for a 5* token. Turn LTs into a 4* token. Personally, I wouldn't trade any in yet. Still wanna cover my 4*s. I think I am almost halfway done. I've gotten every PVE LT, every one from PVP season and 7.5k/10k/PVP progression, bought a few with CoPts I've gained and all but 2 from DDQ. Basically all LTs except for 1.3k PVP progression ones. I have opened up one 5*, OML red. He is useless on my roster and adds levels to my scaling/initial pve levels with me getting no benefit from it. I have a lot of 4* at 200, so the Essential is boosted to 290, my 3* 140 Essential gets boosted to 234. The next highest number should be 200, so my average should be 241 for my top 3 characters. Him in the mix makes it 259.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    The problem with most suggestions here is that they all are designed to maximize the benefits received from tokens and minimize the loses from dupes or unwanted 5*. Demiurge would never implement such a thing. They don't want you to complete your progression as optimally as possible, they want you to spend HP.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    The problem with most suggestions here is that they all are designed to maximize the benefits received from tokens and minimize the loses from dupes or unwanted 5*. Demiurge would never implement such a thing. They don't want you to complete your progression as optimally as possible, they want you to spend HP.

Agree with you completely. My suggestion above yours would make 10% likely/certain for individuals, not the entire population, which the 10% applies to now. It would put more 5* characters into the "right hands", and be more progression based, and not RNG based, which Demiurge/D3 Go! favors.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted for "Nothing is going to change anyway," because nothing is going to change anyway.