something seems imbalanced about this scenario

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I haven't been playing this game very much recently, but jumped into heart of darkness with about an hour left in slice 5, just for the hell of it. I was pleasantly surprised to see myself in 12th. Modest grinding for me up to 4th, so I got 3 4* covers for basically one full clear of a single sub. That's great for me (though at my current level of play, a new 4* will be completed sometime in the second Trump administration).

But I have no doubt that a large number of forumites ground hard for 3 days to get a single 4* cover (or maybe even 0 covers), an extra legendary token, and maybe 200 more HP.

Something seems wrong with this system, but I don't know that I see a solution except making everything prog-based. . .

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The other solution would be to only have groups by time selection and not split these down to smaller groups. Then, unstead of rewards for the top 50 or 100 players, you reward the top 10% or 20%. Getting in late then wouldn't put some into a lucky new low scoring group, and would help higher scores by having more players under them.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    The other solution would be to only have groups by time selection and not split these down to smaller groups. Then, unstead of rewards for the top 50 or 100 players, you reward the top 10% or 20%. Getting in late then wouldn't put some into a lucky new low scoring group, and would help higher scores by having more players under them.
    Maybe they could institute a "No new brackets" policy at the halfway mark through the PVE? At the halfway mark any new joiners will be appended to an existing open bracket, with no cap. Then everyone will know, join before halfway through if you want a shot at a new bracket. This removes any 'benefit' of late joining.
  • There is some kind of balance to be had, because it can be such a drag to grind for 3 days just to scrape T100. But equally, I do think the late slices are handy. Just because you weren't able to play for a couple of days, should that stop you getting rewards? You're not actually taking away from those who have put the time in, because you are not competing against them directly. You take the chance of being able to grab a nice slice, and sometimes it doesn't pay off. I'll certainly be trying this for the next Hulk release because I can't keep giving my weekends to this game!
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    JVReal wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    Maybe they could institute a "No new brackets" policy at the halfway mark through the PVE? At the halfway mark any new joiners will be appended to an existing open bracket, with no cap. Then everyone will know, join before halfway through if you want a shot at a new bracket. This removes any 'benefit' of late joining.

And Placement Prize for a Sub-1000 finish: Critical Boost x3.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    bobbyfish wrote:
    Just because you weren't able to play for a couple of days, should that stop you getting rewards? You're not actually taking away from those who have put the time in, because you are not competing against them directly.

The problem is that you will be. One could get in late and scored a ghost rider for an hours effort, when a person worked for days and didn't... Bad, but no direct competition, agreed. But, then put these two players in the next event together, in direct competition, where Ghost Rider is the required. Thus, the lucky slice player has an advantage, scoring points the other is literally prevented from earning. Now, I don't blame the lucky slice player. It isn't that they're at fault. The system just is wonky.
  • firethorne wrote:
    bobbyfish wrote:
    Just because you weren't able to play for a couple of days, should that stop you getting rewards? You're not actually taking away from those who have put the time in, because you are not competing against them directly.

The problem is that you will be. One could get in late and scored a ghost rider for an hours effort, when a person worked for days and didn't... Bad, but no direct competition, agreed. But, then put these two players in the next event together, in direct competition, where Ghost Rider is the required. Thus, the lucky slice player has an advantage, scoring points the other is literally prevented from earning. Now, I don't blame the lucky slice player. It isn't that they're at fault. The system just is wonky.

fair point, so maybe it's not the late slices as such, but the reliance of the next PVE / PVP on the new character that needs reconsidering