PvP with a new targeting system

cletus1985
cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
There has been talk in the past of this problem, but I wanted to bring a logical suggestion to the table and see how people felt about it. My main issue is that once you're above 800 anyone can see you, which puts you in a very vulnerable situation every time you jump above that mark. Why can a late climber come in and hit me for 75 pts with their maxed JeanBuster team again?

My solution is simply limiting the pool of targets to people 5 hours out from your start time when you join. From then on the pool widens for every hour you play. Example: Player A starts at 5:00, everyone who starts from 5:00 - 10:00 can see Player A if the point margin allows. Let's say Player B starts at 10:00, he can see Player A immediately, but can't see Player C who started at 4:00 until 11:00 or Player D who started at 3:00 until 12:00.

This would actually encourage early joining and let the last min. joiners feed off each other instead of ruining top players scores by sniping them in an attempt to cheat the system and grab top finishes.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way the system currently works, but I have a problem with the way it allows hard work to go out the window because someone at 300 points wants to hit me for 75 and keep me from progressing while they haven't done anything in the last 2 days while I worked my way up. If I get hit during a hop it's usually bad luck and I accept that, but I'd feel better if I knew they weren't just leeching off the system. It would also keep a lot of scores more in line, as in most people hitting you are probably closer to your score therefore eliminating several of those 60-75 pt losses and making it possible to come out positive even if you get hit once or twice.

Any questions, comments, improvements on the idea are welcome.

To the mods: I understand this should be in suggestions section, just going to ask for it to stay here for 24 hours and then feel free to move it. I would like to see how the public would feel about this type of system.

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The biggest problem I have right now with PvP is that they aren't making new 3* characters and it's dragging the whole thing down because you have your elites who just race to 1300 and shield and you have your newbs who struggle to get to 400 - 500 and not much middle ground because so many have the 800 point covers for everyone now. Makes getting points hard. I've lost count of how many times I've got to around 650 and found myself top 25 in a bracket that's less than 10 hours from being done that I have been in since the beginning. So I'm seriously fighting the Icarus factor and the points I lose I can't make up because I can't find a fight worth more than about 18 points. I can't believe that it's just my luck in bracket selection because it's been a very long run, since shortly after 3* Bullseye came out. My progress has really bogged down with the **** luck I've been having with tokens too.
  • cletus1985
    snlf25 wrote:
    The biggest problem I have right now with PvP is that they aren't making new 3* characters and it's dragging the whole thing down because you have your elites who just race to 1300 and shield and you have your newbs who struggle to get to 400 - 500 and not much middle ground because so many have the 800 point covers for everyone now. Makes getting points hard. I've lost count of how many times I've got to around 650 and found myself top 25 in a bracket that's less than 10 hours from being done that I have been in since the beginning. So I'm seriously fighting the Icarus factor and the points I lose I can't make up because I can't find a fight worth more than about 18 points. I can't believe that it's just my luck in bracket selection because it's been a very long run, since shortly after 3* Bullseye came out. My progress has really bogged down with the **** luck I've been having with tokens too.

Sounds like you need to shield and look for better targets, also if 650 is getting you t25 you're probably still in newbie brackets. 1,000 gets me t50 if I'm lucky.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Been in some dud brackets lately. Slice 3 was pretty good in the previous season, but now it feels like 1000 points is top 40 and that's...bad. Way more competitive and much harder to break through, especially since I get to about 700-800 and all I see are Jeanbuster/Fistbuster and various 4* combo teams that even if I could beat would take so long I'd get hit multiple times in the attempt and probably need to spend health packs afterwards to recover.

Need to find myself a new slice, maybe. Slice 3 isn't cutting it any more =/
    All I want to do is hit 1000. I get my cover, I shield...I leave. Never going to hit 1300 as long as I'm still transitioning to 4*.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    I like where you are going with the suggestion but the snipers can easily counter it by joining early and sitting. I guess it depends on whether they value placement over progression.
    An idea I posted along time ago to counter sniping was more of a personnal shield you build up as you play. I.e. 10 matches played, you take 10% less point loss when you lose, and so on up to 50% less point loss. This would push scores up though and probably require a points earned penalty that decreases as you play more. Maybe half the matches played as the shield bonus. First 5 worth only 50% 6-10 worth 60% and so on.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Been in some dud brackets lately. Slice 3 was pretty good in the previous season, but now it feels like 1000 points is top 40 and that's...bad. Way more competitive and much harder to break through, especially since I get to about 700-800 and all I see are Jeanbuster/Fistbuster and various 4* combo teams that even if I could beat would take so long I'd get hit multiple times in the attempt and probably need to spend health packs afterwards to recover.

All I want to do is hit 1000. I get my cover, I shield...I leave. Never going to hit 1300 as long as I'm still transitioning to 4*.
    I haven't noticed any difference in slice 3... Still insane scores, still easy to climb to 1300...
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Leagues, yo. That's all we need.

And maybe an end to time slices, but I'm not confident in that being any kind of proper solution.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    cletus1985 wrote:
    My solution is simply limiting the pool of targets to people 5 hours out from your start time when you join.
    It's already hard enough to find targets. I'm not in favor of anything that would limit it this severely. Why not just say that until you hit 800 points, you can't queue anyone more than 200 points ahead of you?
  • cletus1985
    simonsez wrote:
    cletus1985 wrote:
    My solution is simply limiting the pool of targets to people 5 hours out from your start time when you join.
    It's already hard enough to find targets. I'm not in favor of anything that would limit it this severely. Why not just say that until you hit 800 points, you can't queue anyone more than 200 points ahead of you?

I understand that argument all too well, but if you join within the 1st 24hrs you'd have everyone available the next day. If you join the last day and try to bulldoze through a bunch of 60+ pt targets to reach progression this system ruins that strategy. If you join in the 1st 5 hrs, there would be no change from the current system.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    cletus1985 wrote:
    I understand that argument all too well, but if you join within the 1st 24hrs you'd have everyone available the next day. If you join the last day and try to bulldoze through a bunch of 60+ pt targets to reach progression this system ruins that strategy.
    What about the strategy of not wanting to join early and end up in the bracket where everyone is scoring 2000 points? A couple PvPs ago, I scored 1500 and didn't even make top 50. I'm not interested in doing excessive shield hops just to get a cp and 25 extra HP.

And your plan doesn't actually do anything to stop the "bulldozing" you're talking about. Anyone who wants to can simply join at the start, and then not actually start battling until there are a few hours to go.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference in slice 3... Still insane scores, still easy to climb to 1300...

Huh, lucky you.
    Literally the last three PvPs I've joined have been the same. Top ten is 1400 or higher, but most people seem to tap out at 1000 and they make up the top 50. Anything under that drops off fast.

Previous season it would be tricky getting to 1000, but I'd probably be in the top 100 for doing so so I didn't get hit as often. Not to mention I was still finding 3* teams to fight. This time I get to about 800 and don't see a single 3* team ever again. And when you're seeing nothing but Jeanbuster, you know it's pointless fighting since even if you win those same teams will stomp on you.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    It is way past time for them to break the current PvP meta. Don't allow shielded people to be fought, re-balance the rewards accordingly, take the current 4* balance into account.

I know a lot of people enjoy the current hopping game, but it is counterintuitive, uncompetitive, and undocumented. It is holding back the rest of the PvP design, and cutting that umbilical can only help the game.
  • Nellobee wrote:
    It is way past time for them to break the current PvP meta. Don't allow shielded people to be fought, re-balance the rewards accordingly, take the current 4* balance into account.

I know a lot of people enjoy the current hopping game, but it is counterintuitive, uncompetitive, and undocumented. It is holding back the rest of the PvP design, and cutting that umbilical can only help the game.
    also add sacrifice placement rewards( unless they update them to 4*) to go full progressive limiting points to max 1300 but no point lost from hits
  • cletus1985
    simonsez wrote:
    cletus1985 wrote:
    I understand that argument all too well, but if you join within the 1st 24hrs you'd have everyone available the next day. If you join the last day and try to bulldoze through a bunch of 60+ pt targets to reach progression this system ruins that strategy.
    What about the strategy of not wanting to join early and end up in the bracket where everyone is scoring 2000 points? A couple PvPs ago, I scored 1500 and didn't even make top 50. I'm not interested in doing excessive shield hops just to get a cp and 25 extra HP.

And your plan doesn't actually do anything to stop the "bulldozing" you're talking about. Anyone who wants to can simply join at the start, and then not actually start battling until there are a few hours to go.

The thing is that those late joiners are generally only joining late to try and catch a fresh bracket where they have a shot at placement rewards, their strategy would still work but they wouldn't be able to catch all those high point targets that have been playing for a few days already, they'd just be pummeling each other. Sure snipers or people only going for progression could join at the start and not play, but they aren't the section of players I'm referring to. Honestly if there is incentive to join early you'd probably see an uptick in early starters and dilute the "death bracket" pool a bit, making brackets a little more balanced.