Civil War

IlDuderino
IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
In an idle moment at work when drafting a contract became too dull, I started daydreaming about how D3 might run events alongside next year's Civil War film when it released.

A PvE with two storylines where you choose a side (anti or pro registration) and then play through that side alone would be cool. Each story is limited to the characters on that side and features battles against characters from the opposing side. The reward at the end is some rare cover exclusive to one side or the other. And maybe run a points total for all players on each side with some extra bonus at the end for being on the winning side.

Or more drastic (and in keeping with the film), get alliances to pick a different side and somehow pit them off against each other, forcing long time comrades to fight each other icon_e_smile.gif

Any other ideas?

Sorry if this is to far off to think about it - but I am so excite icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    First, this absolutely belongs in suggestions, but it is the weekend, and i had a few drinks with breakfast, so maybe i will remember to move it on Monday or something.

Secondly, Brilliant. Flat out brilliant. Each PVE would have different boosted chars, depending on the side you take.. plus no licensing issues, so we get to use everyone, unlike the movies.. Make it an alliance event, like Galactus/Ultron, but in standard PVE format.. each bracket can have only X number on each side, once all are filled, new bracket opens.

Making it a double character release event is awesome One new char on each side, equally powerful/useful so both have people wanting them.... to ensure both sides get filled. Max progression would be 1 cover of the other sides release, so everyone will have it for essential purposes.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    And of course running the event two times, with players who participated in the first being unable to choose the same side again.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    First, this absolutely belongs in suggestions, but it is the weekend, and i had a few drinks with breakfast, so maybe i will remember to move it on Monday or something.

Secondly, Brilliant. Flat out brilliant. Each PVE would have different boosted chars, depending on the side you take.. plus no licensing issues, so we get to use everyone, unlike the movies.. Make it an alliance event, like Galactus/Ultron, but in standard PVE format.. each bracket can have only X number on each side, once all are filled, new bracket opens.

Making it a double character release event is awesome One new char on each side, equally powerful/useful so both have people wanting them.... to ensure both sides get filled. Max progression would be 1 cover of the other sides release, so everyone will have it for essential purposes.

But but...I'd been saying this for months ;.;

Regardless, I tended to go against the idea because who *wouldn't* pick the side with boosted 3* Steve?
    Oh, but hey, my awesome 3* Iron Man would be boosted if I go on the other side, right? As well as my amazing 0/2/3 Hulkbuster!

Would also suck if you want to be Team Cap and find that it's full so you get auto allocated Team Iron just to fill the numbers because no-one wanted to.
  • Malcrof
    Regardless, I tended to go against the idea because who *wouldn't* pick the side with boosted 3* Steve?
    Oh, but hey, my awesome 3* Iron Man would be boosted if I go on the other side, right? As well as my amazing 0/2/3 Hulkbuster!

Would also suck if you want to be Team Cap and find that it's full so you get auto allocated Team Iron just to fill the numbers because no-one wanted to.

Most would pick the side based on the new char they want most... Also, i would choose boosted Cyc over Cap any day, unless it is a survival node, cap takes forever to get going.

Also , in the books, Reed Richards is the one who tried to bring cap down.. Stark is just the one who caused it by forcing through the legislation.

Been a while, so may be off some there, but he was seeking revenge for johnny storm or something..
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Noo. No no no no no.

Civil War is a popular story and it seems like there's an obvious hook, an obvious twist on the usual mechanics, so it's not the first time I've seen this suggested, and so it's not the first time I've had to say that it's actually a bad idea due to poor game design.

Essentially the problem is this: never split your player base. It reduces player engagement. There are other problems; we can't reliably expect any given new character to be powerful/exciting enough to grind for, expecting two at the same time is just fantasy. And then there's the issue of external communication. I'll be honest, if it is an alliance event like Ultron/Galactus then I'm not really sure how the bracketing fits over the top of that, but it's a moot point: brackets in existing events - both PvE and PvP - don't stop alliances from gaming the system by using something like LINE to track their capacity, and they certainly won't stop them from gaming it in a "versus PvE" event. The end result is the competitive alliances will be timing when they join the event to stack the odds to one side or the other.

It's all well and good to criticise the concept, but I suppose I should at least propose an alternative.

Here's the thing, Civil War already gives us a great story-based way for players to experience both sides of Civil War: Spider-Man. Without giving too much of the story away for the uninitiated, Spider-Man is actually quite central to this conflict. Although he does take part in the fighting, he's very much the storyteller and, in a way, an avatar for the reader. So quite simply, we stick to the tried and true PvE structure with 3 subs. In the first, we follow Spidey as he joins Tony in the pro-registration camp; in the second, we follow Spidey as he sides with Cap; in the third, we get a great climactic showdown.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Mawtful wrote:
    Noo. No no no no no.

Civil War is a popular story and it seems like there's an obvious hook, an obvious twist on the usual mechanics, so it's not the first time I've seen this suggested, and so it's not the first time I've had to say that it's actually a bad idea due to poor game design.

Essentially the problem is this: never split your player base. It reduces player engagement. There are other problems; we can't reliably expect any given new character to be powerful/exciting enough to grind for, expecting two at the same time is just fantasy. And then there's the issue of external communication. I'll be honest, if it is an alliance event like Ultron/Galactus then I'm not really sure how the bracketing fits over the top of that, but it's a moot point: brackets in existing events - both PvE and PvP - don't stop alliances from gaming the system by using something like LINE to track their capacity, and they certainly won't stop them from gaming it in a "versus PvE" event. The end result is the competitive alliances will be timing when they join the event to stack the odds to one side or the other.

It's all well and good to criticise the concept, but I suppose I should at least propose an alternative.

Here's the thing, Civil War already gives us a great story-based way for players to experience both sides of Civil War: Spider-Man. Without giving too much of the story away for the uninitiated, Spider-Man is actually quite central to this conflict. Although he does take part in the fighting, he's very much the storyteller and, in a way, an avatar for the reader. So quite simply, we stick to the tried and true PvE structure with 3 subs. In the first, we follow Spidey as he joins Tony in the pro-registration camp; in the second, we follow Spidey as he sides with Cap; in the third, we get a great climactic showdown.

My favorite thing about your suggestion is it would provide a golden opportunity to fix Spider-man - everybody's watching him! Oh, sure, they could also use it to introduce 4* (5*?) Superior Spider-man or Miles Morales, but that's hardly canon. /harrumph
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Oh, sure, they could also use it to introduce 4* (5*?) Superior Spider-man or Miles Morales, but that's hardly canon. /harrumph

The canon one would be Spider-Man using his tony stark designed armor.

Imagine the powers of the current Spider-Man combined with the awesomeness of IM-40 icon_e_smile.gif .
  • Mawtful
    Lee T wrote:
    Oh, sure, they could also use it to introduce 4* (5*?) Superior Spider-man or Miles Morales, but that's hardly canon. /harrumph

Imagine the powers of the current Spider-Man combined with the awesomeness of IM-40 icon_e_smile.gif .

Increased health pool.
    Yellow Ability give team fake healing + generates AP for each web tile on the board
    Blue ability gives cheap stun + AoE damage
    Then some kind of active/passive single target + prot tile generation

Yeah, I'd use that.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lee T wrote:

Obvious time to bring in Iron Spider.
    Thing is...I reckon any Civil War style PvP will be hot off the heels of the movie, not the source material. So it's unknown if they will even have the same neutral character stuck in a conflict of interests.
  • Malcrof
    Mawtful wrote:
    Spider-Man. Without giving too much of the story away for the uninitiated, Spider-Man is actually quite central to this conflict. Although he does take part in the fighting, he's very much the storyteller and,

Uatu would be the storyteller, him showing was the harbinger that it was something big going to happen.. also, he was there to record the entire thing!
  • Mawtful
    Malcrof wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Spider-Man. Without giving too much of the story away for the uninitiated, Spider-Man is actually quite central to this conflict. Although he does take part in the fighting, he's very much the storyteller and,

Uatu would be the storyteller, him showing was the harbinger that it was something big going to happen.. also, he was there to record the entire thing!

Ugh, yeah OK, my post was really unclear. Posting from my phone, so I didn't bother to read myself before I hit submit.

Uatu is the Storyteller, but, IMO, Spider-Man is the "storyteller" - in the same way that R2D2 & C3PO are the storytellers of Star Wars. That is, we get a lot of the interpersonal story through his interactions. Spider-Man has his own set of super powers, and yet he still kind of sees both Cap & Iron Man with a kind of awe, and its through him that we get perspective on both sides of the story.

Also, I haven't learned my lesson and just went and tired this up on my phone, so it's probably equally as incoherent or incomplete. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Lee T wrote:

Don't you dampen my hope for a 3* Spidey buff with your facts and well-reasoned arguments, sir. We're on the INTERNET here.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Lee T wrote:

Don't you dampen my hope for a 3* Spidey buff with your facts and well-reasoned arguments, sir. We're on the INTERNET here.
    Been a while since I read Civil War, but didn't Spidey go back to his classic costume after defecting from the pro-registration side?