How do you Double Tap Someone??

Gagutz
Gagutz Posts: 104
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Sometimes I see people hit me twice, one right after another.

Is there a way to always get your target and then get them again. It happens to me rarely when I can do this..

Can someone explain the process and how to do it?

Very helpful during shield hopping..

Thank you icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I think double tapping is generally bad practice as you could seriously mess up someone's shield hop ... but if you are ok with it then I think who you see is a combination of how high their points are in relation to yours and whether your roster is seen as "similar". If you get double tapped it might be because you are the only high level target or someone below you has a similar MMR. Sometimes I can see someone unshielded in my bracket and I can't queue them (to hit once reshielded) after cycling through 500 ISO and that is annoying
  • Gagutz
    Gagutz Posts: 104
    Is it just a random chance of it happening or a way to do it most of the time?

I que X guy... and Attack him and sometimes I skip and he comes back up right away..

I understand the part of messing up hops but sometimes I have done it with a queing a person then when I see they are shielded I hit them 2 times... but it is so uncommon..
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    So, first off, I generally try to avoid double tapping, but here's my two cents on your question.

Double tapping is generally much easier at higher point totals where you do not have as many available targets. When you get high enough, you will generally skip through the same 5-10 names over and over. So for as long as someone is unshielded, you can repeatedly hit that person until your point totals become too disparate.

Requeueing a person that is shielded is different. This does happen occasionally because your queues have "stacks" You have the visible three nodes on your page and then around 5 opponents already queued that are hidden behind those three nodes.

So, if you queue someone before they shield, there is a chance they are also one of those hidden queues behind the nodes.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tarheelmax has got it. The game actually queues up something like 7-10 matches for you, and if you're a high scorer or at a really high/specific mmr/score combination you'll see you skip between the same 4 or 5 names over and over again. The trick for double tapping is to make sure the one you attack first is the last person you queued (and that you haven't skipped around in any other nodes after queueing them), then skip a couple times in that same node after beating them and you have a decent chance at finding them again. As for doing it when someone is unshielded, they are likely one of only a handful of targets in your point range so the game is giving them to you as a queue again.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2015
    I'll admit to having double-tapped opponents. I recognize that it's frowned upon, but I do try to give back. Since I play strictly for progression and not placement, I don't shield. When I reach whatever total I want to (usually 900-1000 points) in an event, I simply stop playing that event. People are welcome to hit me as many times as they like, whether it's during my climb or afterward.

*EDIT* - I've only double-tapped people two or three times in all the time I've played. It's not something I go out of my way to do.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd also add that you should be very careful who you DT and when you do it. some alliances frown upon it and if they think you're targeting them and not 'playing nice', there is such a thing as hit lists where they will seek you out to take your pts (I'm not endorsing the behavior but its definitely out there). it really isn't a strategy I'd be aiming for. I'm usually hitting guys way above me and them keeping their pts helps me and everyone else make progressions. only times I've ever DT'ed someone is when I was in a made dash push to my first shield and not paying attn. to names. before I learned to skip more I would also hit someone again if they were the only one above 40 that the game would give me. now I keep skipping (sometimes takes 15-20) and something else usually pops up as an alternative. as you're climbing this isn't much of an issue because your grouping changes with your scoring increases. however, once you get towards the top of the unshielded group in your slice it can get repetitive.
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I'll admit to having double-tapped opponents. I recognize that it's frowned upon, but I do try to give back. Since I play strictly for progression and not placement, I don't shield. When I reach whatever total I want to (usually 900-1000 points) in an event, I simply stop playing that event. People are welcome to hit me as many times as they like, whether it's during my climb or afterward.

*EDIT* - I've only double-tapped people two or three times in all the time I've played. It's not something I go out of my way to do.
    I really don't see how that gives back anything. In fact, not shielding makes it worse, because most of the people you hit on your climb will have retaliation nodes worth nothing. You are of course free to double-tap people, but don't pretend that not shielding excuses it.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i have never, ever searched for a specific player.
    reading this thread, i have double tapped before, without even knowing that there is a term for it.

i usually skip until i have a match worth 50+ points. i do not look into their roster to see how many covers they have - if the points are in that range, and if i have the slightest chance of winning that match, i take it.
    i dont even look at the players name most of the time, but there where instances where it did catch my eye, e.g. same team composition, same level, about the same points.

so, i do not search for a player or look into their roster.
    but if the game presents the same target twice, im taking that points

i really thought everybody does it the same way.
  • Most of the double taps I do come when I am around 650-850 pts. This is where high point targets start to dry up. What usually happens is I will be pushing for 1k early (over a day left in event) and trying to get to 1k without shielding. Between 800-1000 I'm trying to get through 4 to 6 targets worth 40+points as quickly as possible. I'm not checking names, I'm just queuing and skipping until I get something over 40. Every once in a while I'll find an obscure comp that isn't the typical JeanBuster and think "I just fought a guy with this team....oh, it's probably the same guy, and I'm hitting him for over 100 total points. Bummer, hope he shielded after that first loss."

And when I say that I hope he shielded, I don't hope he shielded because I feel bad about taking his points, or because I think double tapping is mean or wrong. I hope he shielded because I want his points to still be available for myself and others later.

We all know the risks of staying unshielded once you are over 1k. It's rare that I stay unshielded long enough for someone to hit me twice when I am over 1k.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    It is also a question of how long you stay unshielded. My rule of thumb is to avoid going naked longer than 5 minutes, especially on day 3. It sux royally if you push for 100 points, then see that you lost 250+ in the mean time. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Most of the double taps I do come when I am around 650-850 pts. This is where high point targets start to dry up. What usually happens is I will be pushing for 1k early (over a day left in event) and trying to get to 1k without shielding. Between 800-1000 I'm trying to get through 4 to 6 targets worth 40+points as quickly as possible. I'm not checking names, I'm just queuing and skipping until I get something over 40. Every once in a while I'll find an obscure comp that isn't the typical JeanBuster and think "I just fought a guy with this team....oh, it's probably the same guy, and I'm hitting him for over 100 total points. Bummer, hope he shielded after that first loss."

And when I say that I hope he shielded, I don't hope he shielded because I feel bad about taking his points, or because I think double tapping is mean or wrong. I hope he shielded because I want his points to still be available for myself and others later.

We all know the risks of staying unshielded once you are over 1k. It's rare that I stay unshielded long enough for someone to hit me twice when I am over 1k.

I'm sorry about the noob question, but from your post I inferred that you can attack someone that is already shielded, is that it? If you "hoped he shielded after the first loss" is that because you can still attack him after he is shielded?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    ferig wrote:
    Most of the double taps I do come when I am around 650-850 pts. This is where high point targets start to dry up. What usually happens is I will be pushing for 1k early (over a day left in event) and trying to get to 1k without shielding. Between 800-1000 I'm trying to get through 4 to 6 targets worth 40+points as quickly as possible. I'm not checking names, I'm just queuing and skipping until I get something over 40. Every once in a while I'll find an obscure comp that isn't the typical JeanBuster and think "I just fought a guy with this team....oh, it's probably the same guy, and I'm hitting him for over 100 total points. Bummer, hope he shielded after that first loss."

I'm sorry about the noob question, but from your post I inferred that you can attack someone that is already shielded, is that it? If you "hoped he shielded after the first loss" is that because you can still attack him after he is shielded?
    The only thing that shielding does is remove your name from being *actively* queued. If someone started a match with you already, obviously they can finish and get points (but you won't lose yours). Also you could be in one of someone's 3 nodes either by chance or from a retaliation, so those people could still hit you while shielded. Lastly, you could be in someone's cached queues, which is kinda what this thread is about. So, he's just saying after hitting him the first time and seeing the same name pop up again he assumes the first hit took points from the guy, but hopes he shielded so the second hit just bounces off his shield rather than continue to takes point away.
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    I was recently double-tapped by someone in the Captain Marvel event by someone using 392 silver surfer, 290 marvel and a level 40 hawkeye.

I think I might hit him back using 3* Deadpool, Scarlet Witch and Juggernaut with boosts and splash out on a mega-whales in about 24-36 hours time when he builds up some serious points (hopefully). I do feel that using whales on hawkeye is a bit of an overkill, I might just take him out first so I don't feel so bad.

Because he is only showing up on one of the nodes though, do I only have the option to hit him once?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    remember, deadpool is friends with hawkeye (dont know if hawkeye knows this, though...)

not really sure, but i think you could skip until you find that name again, IF he is not shielded
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    mu7an7 wrote:
    I was recently double-tapped by someone in the Captain Marvel event by someone using 392 silver surfer, 290 marvel and a level 40 hawkeye.

I think I might hit him back using 3* Deadpool, Scarlet Witch and Juggernaut with boosts and splash out on a mega-whales in about 24-36 hours time when he builds up some serious points (hopefully). I do feel that using whales on hawkeye is a bit of an overkill, I might just take him out first so I don't feel so bad.

Because he is only showing up on one of the nodes though, do I only have the option to hit him once?

The hawkeye was to create crits, if it was the 1*.. i see a few high 5*s running with 1* spidey.. a crit wth a high level 5* can do 2k+ in a simple 3 march.. 4+ and cascades can take out a full health JG (been on the receiving end of that)
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    Re: How do you Double Tap Someone??
    Postby ammenell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:20 am

remember, deadpool is friends with hawkeye (dont know if hawkeye knows this, though...)

not really sure, but i think you could skip until you find that name again, IF he is not shielded

I could only attack him once, but got 65 points from him and that is more than what he took from me in total, so decided to call it quits on this event.

Didn't take hawkeye out first though, after reading your first comment though...