New Character: Gambit

Options
D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited November 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Hy there,

I don't know about you guys, but I am a huge fan of Gambit. As you probably all seen by now, he is not present in most of the games, and what's important here, he is not present in MPQ.
Taking into account that a movie is set to appear next year, alongside X-Men Apocalypse which is supposed to be the biggest X-Men film to date, I think that 2016 can bring us some new characters, and Gambit, surely has to be one of them.

So here is my vision on Gambit. I don't really know if he is more suited for a 3* or a 4*. I think a 3* is more available to all players across MPQ right know, so I tend to think that it is more appropriate to have that level instead of 4*.

The damage numbers are only for guidance. I don't mind if D3 tweaks them anyway the want if they bring us one version of our favorite thief.
His main abilities are Black, Purple and Red, with a twist. The ability numbers are consider at maxed for the 5 levels displayed, like the ones on wiki.

33-1.jpg

healthpack.png 166: 8600

Blackjack / High Theft (11 blackflag.png )

Blackjack blackflag.png
===========
Gambit loves his playing cards, but in time of need he must throw them away to dispatch some little "presents".

Level 1: Gambit throws 1 playing-card, dealing 300 damage to target enemy. If there are any trap tiles on the board, he detonates one dealing extra damage (see Charge redflag.png ).

Level 2: throws 1 card, dealing 600 damage.
Level 3: throws 2 cards, dealing 1000 damage. Detonates 2 trap tiles.
Level 4: throws 3 cards, dealing 1500 damage. Detonates 3 trap tiles.
Level 5: throws 4 cards, dealing 2000 damage. Detonates all trap tiles.

This ability can temporarily change to High Theft (see Pokerface purpleflag.png )

High Theft blackflag.png
===========
This ability is a temporary substitute for Blackjack. It will be the same level of Blackjack.

Old habits die hard. Gambit pickpockets his targets and strips them from all secrets.

Level 1: Gambit steal 2 Black, Red and Yellow AP from the enemy team. Leaves a 4-turn Countdown tile that destroys 2x2 pattern tiles. Does not generate extra AP.

Level 2: also steals Green. 3-turn CD.
Level 3: also steals Blue. 3x3 pattern CD.
Level 4: also steals Purple. 2-turn CD.
Level 5: Steals 3 AP of each color. 1-turn 5x5 pattern CD.

edited according to ronin-san comment icon_e_smile.gif

Pokerface (5 purpleflag.png )
Gambit creates a static energy shield for his mind preventing detection and intrusion by even the strongest and most powerful telepaths. The shield has the added effect of destabilizing touch-based abilities.

Level 1: Creates a 2-turn Countdown tile. While the countdown tile is on the board, Gambit cannot be stunned and his other abilities temporarily change to High Theft blackflag.png and Charm redflag.png respectively.

Level 2: 3-turn CD, + 1 AP to cast (6 purple)
Level 3: 4 turn CD, + 1 AP to cast (7 purple)
Level 4: He also does not receive damage unless he is targeted. (Team attacks don't hit him), + 2 AP to cast (9 purple)
Level 5: 5 turn CD, + 1 AP to cast (10 purple)

Charge / Charm (8 redflag.png )

Charge redflag.png
=========
Gambit charges various objects from the battlefield, dealing damage to any opponent who dare to attack the area.

Level 1: Converts 2 basic tiles to trap tiles.
If Gambit matches the trap, he puts a 50 red stike tile strike.png on the board and moves the trap in another place.
If anyone else matches a trap (even allies!), the tile is destroyed, and the explosion deals 500 damage to target who made the match.

Level 2: 100 red strike tile / 1000 damage;
Level 3: Converts 3 basic tiles to trap tiles
Level 4: 150 red strike tile / 1500 damage;
Level 5: Converts 4 basic tiles to trap tiles.

This ability can temporarily change to Charm (see Pokerface purpleflag.png )

Charm redflag.png
=========
This ability is a temporary substitute for Charge. It will be the same level of Charge.

Gambit uses his unusually strong and irresistible hypnotic charm that allows him to exert a subtle influence over sentient beings, leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions.

Level 1: Gambit chooses a Countdown Tile on the board, reduces it's time with 1 and gives the effect to the owner's opposing team. (Thus choosing your CD tile will give the ability to enemy team, and vice versa.)

Example: Maggia Muscle has a Threaten CD tile on the board. And you have a Magnetic Flux CD tile on the board (2* Magneto's Red). If Gambit chooses the Threaten CD tile, then you gain the strike tiles from it. If Gambit chooses Magneto's CD tile, than you get the damage from the CD in the face icon_e_smile.gif

Level 2: reduce CD with 2
Level 3: reduce CD immediately and triggers it's effects
Level 4: also deals 300 extra damage for every opposing strike tiles on the board
Level 5: chooses 2 CD tiles

Let me know what you think, in the comment section.
Also, if you are interested, you can view the topic where I proposed Rogue: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35388.

Cheers icon_e_smile.gif.

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The steal needs to leave a damage component, eg leaving a business card as a reminder. In his case, his message self destructs in 5, 4, 3, 2, BOOOOOOOOM.

The purpleflag.png is just too powerful. 5AP means he can't be stunned (Silver Surfer) NOR can he be targeted by AoE (reverse profx)? Raise the cost or neuter it....Wait.

He just needs to be bumped to star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png , then it will all make sense. I love the ability to detonate traps.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    The steal needs to leave a damage component, eg leaving a business card as a reminder. In his case, his message self destructs in 5, 4, 3, 2, BOOOOOOOOM.

The purpleflag.png is just too powerful. 5AP means he can't be stunned (Silver Surfer) NOR can he be targeted by AoE (reverse profx)? Raise the cost or neuter it....Wait.

He just needs to be bumped to star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png , then it will all make sense. I love the ability to detonate traps.

I like your idea of a self destructing message, I will update accordingly, thanks icon_e_biggrin.gif

The purple is rising in casting cost with every level. At the point you are not targeted by AoE (4 covers) you need 9 purple to cast it, which I think it's reasonable even for a 3, considering the fact that if you make your build with 4 covers in purple, you have to take from the damage dealing (black or red).
    Another alternative would be to raise his starting point to 6-7, so at 4 covers you would need 10-11 purple to get the non AoE damage.

Of course It can be tweaked so it matches a star.pngstar.pngstar.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png accordingly with the damage output icon_e_smile.gif.