New Shield Type: One-Way Shields

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
Basically, imagine being able to shield but still attack people? They would only be half as long (1.5 hrs, 4 hrs, 12 hrs) and you could buy them with Command Points, not HP. It would be useful for securing your placement at the end of an event, and provide another option for spending CP for people that don't need Legendary Tokens.

Edit: Discuss.

Comments

• Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Heh. So you want to be invulnerable while hopping? With zero drawbacks beyond the CP price? You don't think that the big spending alliances wouldn't abuse the ever living **** out of that?

It would increase the amount of sniping at least a hundred fold. People who can't afford to HP Shield -> CP shield -> HP Shield -> CP Shield will effectively be food for those that can.

Currently you limit your attacks to people who are worth more than 38 points so that the retal points they get back aren't worth it. In this theoretical new world, you don't even have to do that, as you can attack with complete impunity, then use the cheaper HP shields while you sleep / whatever, so you NEVER take an unshielded hit.

While I appreciate that you don't want to get sniped on your hops, this is not the way to fix that.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Basically, imagine being able to shield but still attack people? They would only be half as long (1.5 hrs, 4 hrs, 12 hrs) and you could buy them with Command Points, not HP. It would be useful for securing your placement at the end of an event, and provide another option for spending CP for people that don't need Legendary Tokens.

Crazy proposal. This will inflate the scores and make it P2W. The amount of points I can gained for the 12 hours shield will be in the range of thousands. One don't even have to worry about putting a defence team, just winfinite all the way.

No pls.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Also, it's probably worth noting that in the high point range, you'll be even further limited to people you can queue worth any points, since no one with a high score would want to ever be unshielded.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tannen wrote:
    While I appreciate that you don't want to get sniped on your hops, this is not the way to fix that.

Sometimes I'm too subtle for my own good.

To clarify: I don't think this is a good idea, I'm certainly not suggesting it's what the game needs, but I do think it's the sort of thing to worry about.

I already think that Command Points stand astride the line between simply paying to speed up progression and paying to win, and while something like one-way shields would be an obvious tipping point, there are probably countless other features that could be implemented like this which tip the scales more subtly.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

To clarify: I don't think this is a good idea, I'm certainly not suggesting it's what the game needs, but I do think it's the sort of thing to worry about.

I already think that Command Points stand astride the line between simply paying to speed up progression and paying to win, and while something like one-way shields would be an obvious tipping point, there are probably countless other features that could be implemented like this which tip the scales more subtly.

Tip the scales towards which side though? You seem to be suggesting that the people who pump money into the game should be given an extra advantage and have 'the scales tipped' in their favour in addition to the massive advantage they already pay for.

If there is any scales tipping to be done it should be the other way really and favour the lower tier players to make the game more competitive.
  • avs962
    Mawtful wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

Tip the scales towards which side though? You seem to be suggesting that the people who pump money into the game should be given an extra advantage and have 'the scales tipped' in their favour in addition to the massive advantage they already pay for.

If there is any scales tipping to be done it should be the other way really and favour the lower tier players to make the game more competitive.

I read this as him saying that there are possible ways that cp could be utilized to further tip the scales towards pay to win. He is not advocating that the scales be tipped, but is wary that certain implementations of cp usage in-game could have negative effects.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Mawtful wrote:

Not no, not Hell No, but TINYKITTY NO!!!!
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I think Tannen summarized pretty well why this would be a bad idea. I agree with pretty much everything he said right after the OP.

Careful though Mawtful, if you don't like this idea, why even bring it up and give them ideas? Hehehe.
  • OneLastGambit
    avs962 wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

I read this as him saying that there are possible ways that cp could be utilized to further tip the scales towards pay to win. He is not advocating that the scales be tipped, but is wary that certain implementations of cp usage in-game could have negative effects.

Perhaps I mis-read as Rafoon says though, why bring an idea up that is ripe for abuse - especially after the Galactus hungers debacle. Let's not give the devs any insight into our minds and tactics or give them ideas on how to make the game worse. If it involves them making money there's a good chance they might do it.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    They already have something in the game that lets you spend a lot to be able to attack people without getting hit yourself. Maxed 5*s
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    They already have something in the game that lets you spend a lot to be able to attack people without getting hit yourself. Maxed 5*s

they have 2 actually.. you forgot the sandbox.
  • OneLastGambit
    Malcrof wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

If you are hit by a sandboxed player in PVP do you lose points?

Also

If a sandboxed player finishes in first and second does that mean the rest of the userbase misses out on those prizes?
  • avs962
    Malcrof wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

If you are hit by a sandboxed player in PVP do you lose points?

Also

If a sandboxed player finishes in first and second does that mean the rest of the userbase misses out on those prizes?

No, what a sandboxed player does has no bearing on anyone outside of the sandbox. Their attacks don't affect you and they can't take placement away from someone else