IceIX and Demiurge_Will comment compilation.

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Since there's no Known Issue sticky or something to that degree, in order to save people having to thread through multiple pages (some 20+) I've decided to do some copy pasting of recent IceIX and Demiurge_Will comments. I have not put in any of IceIX's closing thread comments or any of his humorous comments as I'm trying to conserve space to relevant information regarding mechanics that I feel many people would want to know.

Demiurge_Will's Recent Comments

Re: Simulator Basics

Postby Demiurge_Will » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 pm

NorthernPolarity wrote:Hey IceIX, what was the design reasoning behind the levels scaling cumulatively as opposed to on a per node basis? A lot of the forumers (myself included) were requesting static scaling so that only each individual node scales, and I was curious as to why you guys were doing this scaling across the board.

Also, does this level scaling persist across different subevents?

Persisting across subevents - yes.

Scaling missions individually doesn't do enough to satisfy the design goals of this feature: making our events maximally interesting for the widest possible subset of players and reducing grind. We couldn't do rewards like the 5000 Iso-8 challenge mission reward in this event in a system like that. It would either be too trivial for top-end players to get or they would be the only people that had any hope of getting it.

IceIX's Recent Comments

Re: Official "Please funbalance Spidey within X hours" threa

Postby IceIX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm
You're not going to be seeing a change in Spidey in the next couple hours. Likely not until R48, if not later. He's on the list, yes. But we're not whacking away at that list at the moment.

Re: Official "Please funbalance Spidey within X hours" threa

Postby IceIX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm

No, not within the next 3 days either. It's still sitting in the approval pipelines which aren't likely (but it's always possible) to clear by Friday. Even if R48 were to hit then, we still wouldn't be making any changes to Spider-Man at R48 start (assuming R48 doesn't break him). We'll be making a posting on any character changes once they're ready to go out and before they actually do so.

Postby IceIX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 pm

walkyourpath wrote:Levels scaling some, but only a small gradient (Thugs in first easy node began at 25, are now at 30). Not sure if scaling is per node or cumulative yet.

Cumulative. Although with a much better gradient and something that we looked up called a "ceiling". Progression rewards were tuned to be more in line with what harder core players are capable of earning. We went a bit too far last time around on them. Although there were people that got them all, it wasn't as many as we would have liked.

Postby IceIX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:07 pm

SirKopath wrote:Ceiling. Does this mean that some missions will cap out at lower levels and others will cap out at higher? No more first mission level 230s?

It's technically possible but very unlikely. ::Waits for incoming Challenge Accepted meme .jpg::

Re: Massive increased rate in 2* with Standard Tokens?

Postby IceIX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:03 pm
Hadn't seen any changes checked in for this and just looked at the numbers, everything is in line with normal. RNG Gods doing the opposite of what people are seeing in the Boost droprate thread.

Comments

• Re: Please end level scaling in PVE

Unread postby IceIX » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm

pasa_ wrote:We asked it several times -- Will recently stated that is all by design and works as intended.

If you already don;t like it tough luck, he also said it carries over to the further sub events. So look ahead for what we got used to in previous two runs.

icon_e_sad.gif

But at least we know they heard us just don't give a flying kitty.

No, that's not what was stated. There have been two separate misunderstandings there. Will's comment was:

Persisting across subevents - yes.

Scaling missions individually doesn't do enough to satisfy the design goals of this feature: making our events maximally interesting for the widest possible subset of players and reducing grind. We couldn't do rewards like the 5000 Iso-8 challenge mission reward in this event in a system like that. It would either be too trivial for top-end players to get or they would be the only people that had any hope of getting it.

All by design: Scaling is functioning, yes. Is it perfect? Probably not. This comment was somehow read as stating something that it doesn't state implicitly, much less explicitly. As well, this comment was towards the reasoning behind scaling nodes individually as opposed to event-wide, so it's a little different matter in any case.

Sub-events: Simulator, Round One. Simulator Round Two. The previous two runs were separate Events, not sub-events. So to say that you'll all be getting the same as the last two is not only incorrect, it's also actively not acknowledging the fact that those two Events had different scaling to one another, much less this one.

We've made changes to scaling to make it better. We'll continue to do so. Not only due to data, but also because of player feedback. To somehow say that we've listened and are ignoring any input, that's just not the case.
  • You could also click on his name, and search his posts.

Your way you loose some of the relivence, and you don't link back to the posts he made.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    It's also very hard to read without some formatting. I'm still looking around for some kind of comment tracker kind of like a Bluetracker. I found a couple plugins, but both do way too much and turn the boards into some kind of twitter-esque social media monstrosity and have very little customization options.
  • Eh, just trying to be helpful /shrug. You are correct that people could just click the name (how do you think I found the posts :p)
  • Good idea. Thanks for this. Admittedly, I've been reading the forums less recently. Bit too much drama, although it has seemed to settle down now.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @IceIX you can set up an external page to dump the posts made by dev usergroup

https://wiki.phpbb.com/Practical.Displa ... rnal_pages , just mod it to only display posts by group id =)