Birthday Prizes

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
Has it ever been considered by D3 to give out command points (or anything else really) for people on their birthday? Quite a lot of other apps and games do this and wondered if it's been considered.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has it ever been considered by D3 to give out command points (or anything else really) for people on their birthday? Quite a lot of other apps and games do this and wondered if it's been considered.
    It was suggested a while back. IceIX's reply was that if they were logging people's birthdays it would also bring a lot of additional restrictions to the game (for reasons I didn't quite get, to be honest). So basically they prefer to just avoid the hassle.
  • Quebbster
    Found the other thread. Almost didn't find this thread again though... that's some fast modding!
    Anyway, for those too lazy to click the link, this is the answer:
    IceIX wrote:
    Asking for birth dates in-game would also mean we would have to age gate the game so that we didn't collect any undue information from minors. That applies whether we collect month/day/year or just month/day. While *we'd* be using that data for pretty mundane purposes, not all companies keep that stuff for simplistic reasons, so... laws.
  • OneLastGambit
    Thanks Quebster, just sent malcrof a message about the speed of his modding, that was seriously quick.

Shame I was hoping to get some free stuff today ha ha
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks Quebster, just sent malcrof a message about the speed of his modding, that was seriously quick.

Shame I was hoping to get some free stuff today ha ha

I pop on every hour or so, if i have time at work.. sorry if your thread had just been made..
  • Quebbster
    Ironically the other thread was moved to Tips and Guides while this moved to Suggestions and Feedback. Not sure why...
  • What the? Just give em the bloody month and date and be gone with the year!
  • Quebbster
    What the? Just give em the bloody month and date and be gone with the year!
    Can't even do that according to IceIX's quote above.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Facebook knows our birthday. Couldn't they do this via their facebook integration?
  • Quebbster
    simonsez wrote:
    Facebook knows our birthday. Couldn't they do this via their facebook integration?
    Is Facebook allowed to share that data? And what would it cost if it's allowed? Who knows...
  • Also you know there'd be "that guy" out there who would change his birthday every day to be the next day icon_razz.gif Facebook falls for it and congratulates you daily (I was bored...), so MPQ likely would too.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Is Facebook allowed to share that data?
    Sharing data is Facebook's entire business...
  • Quebbster
    simonsez wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Is Facebook allowed to share that data?
    Sharing data is Facebook's entire business...
    True dat. They'd probably charge a pretty penny for it though.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Oh, people around these parts are pretty honest. Just put a button in the app that says "It's My Birthday!" that awards you a Legendary token, and ask people to only push it if it's really their birthday.

I don't see any problems with this plan.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, people around these parts are pretty honest. Just put a button in the app that says "It's My Birthday!" that awards you a Legendary token, and ask people to only push it if it's really their birthday.

Alternate solution:

The first time you press it, it gives you a token and sets an invisible timer. If you press it again within 363 days, your game progress is reset.
  • Oh, people around these parts are pretty honest. Just put a button in the app that says "It's My Birthday!" that awards you a Legendary token, and ask people to only push it if it's really their birthday.

Okay, I chortled at that. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    DayvBang wrote:

Alternate solution:

The first time you press it, it gives you a token and sets an invisible timer. If you press it again within 363 days, your game progress is reset.

I would to read the post from the first dishonest person that decided to press again! It would be insanely funny
  • SkyElf
    SkyElf Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    DayvBang wrote:

Alternate solution:

Resetting the entire game would be too harsh. Just fail to give them a new birthday present, but reset the birthday counter anyway.

I was thinking about this and came to a couple of conclusions...

1) Any punishment would be kind of mean to someone who wasn't deliberately cheating, but decided to celebrate their anniversary or some other special occasion that wasn't their birthday or someone who was on a vacation without internet on their birthday one year and collected their present when they got home and then forgot what day they selected. If they are going to use a timer anyway, why not just replace the button with a countdown until your next birthday? Once the timer reaches zero, the button returns.

2) They don't need to celebrate players' birthdays, since they already celebrate the anniversary of them starting to play Puzzle Quest with an increase in the monthly command points received and extra covers or extra special covers.