What's/Who's Next (MPQ 2 years and counting..)

phoenixrising2791
phoenixrising2791 Posts: 130
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It’s been two years since we were introduced to Marvel Puzzle Quest – a game that gave flavour to RPG Puzzling and brought Marvel Characters to life. From the past year, we were introduced to Boss battles, new charged tiles, character abilities, and 5* characters. As we enter the 3rd year, what’s next for the players? – For new and experts alike, what will we expect? Who do we see next?

As one who anticipates every new concept of the game, I am eager to know what the DEVS have in the table right now for the next year of MPQ. Recently, Command Points were introduced and as the game progresses and evolve, there are more things to be improved and developed. From Dark Reign to the ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT MARVEL, the game has kept up with the time and ensured no gets one left behind.

A. Characters – We have had HITS and MISSES with the current characters and continuous balance occurs to maintain the playability of the game. I am excited on who will be included in the roster for the following year. Do we get to see familiar old faces? New and younger version of heroes? What do they have in stored for us? New tiles? New powers? New abilities? New concepts? How will they blend in? Below are some of who I hope to see and I think should be considered for MPQ.

1. Doctor Strange – I think he is long overdue. He is the Master of Magic and I can’t wait to see how he will add new GAMEPLAY to MPQ. A new SPELL tile perhaps? When activated, he can’t be stunned? Or he does COUNTERSPELL? Increase, decrease damage? The possibilities are endless. MAGIC, I hope will come soon.
2. Gambit – He has been the consistent Fan Favorite and yet he is nowhere to be found. I thought that the Charged Tiles were a sign for his arrival, but hey, can’t lose hope!
3. Rogue – If you have Gambit, I see Rogue not so far away. I think her powers are really a game changer. DEVS maybe preparing on how she would SAP the POWER or AP? Of the enemies.
4. Ghost Rider – Because, why not? We would love to have him even if it’s not Halloween. Right? Right?
5. Yellowjacket – What’s Antman for if Yellowjacket’s not in the game? Oh, for story purposes only. Hahaha
6. Dazzler/Jubilee – Because seeing fireworks is fun? Hahaha. They’ll bring more jubilation and brightness I guess.
7. THANOS, APOCALYPSE – No, not the playable one, but the levels of ULTRON and GALACTUS. Boss battle 2.0, why not? Or if we are EVOLVING, release 6*? Oh shut up and take my money! (Devs: Ehem, sorry, can’t buy their covers.)
8. War Machine – A trustworthy pal and a different shade of Iron Man. So I see a Gray/Black Armour instead of the usual Yellow/Red hahahaha.
9. Goblin – Because Spidey needs another villain. I want to see pumpkin bombs…. Yes Osborn is in, but in action please.
10. Namor – Underwater hero. Sounds cool.. And he’s one of Marvel’s first heroes.
11. Kitty Pride – Because she’s supposedly popular? Haha. But she can pass through walls and bullets will not hit her.
12. Nightcrawler – Another Fan Favorite, his teleportation powers may mean new concepts for gameplay. He transports then steals the enemy’s AP or tactics and use them in his advantage.
13. Iron Patriot – I believe he is supposedly been there since the first year, but why? Why are you not still existing? The Dark Reign story has ended, Avengers had Fury, but Dark Avengers….
14. Jessica Jones – Hi Luke Cage!
15. MODOK - Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing. Need I say more?
16. Abomination – Hi Hulk. Here. I. Come. Hulk is not only the big guy now. What you say?
17. Sabretooth – Because we already have FOUR Wolverines. But not a single Sabretooth.
18. KANG – Another Boss suggestion. Time Travel. Beat Heroes. Kill.
19. Red Skull – Just he and his SKULL. Nuff said.
20. Emma Frost – A love triangle brewing. What you said Cyke?
21. Angel – Because he’s the only one not included in the Original X-Men. F4 is already complete.
22. Amadeus Cho – Because he was already teased. So he is already a SURE SHOT.
23. Hercules – Hail to Hercules! We need him. Hmmm. Not so bad..
24. Magik – No not like the 1st on the list but the sister of Colossus. She definitely has it

Not to mention: Spider Gwen, Miles Morales, Nova, Quasar, Ronan, Drax, and INHUMANS!!!!!

B. Concepts/Gameplay – I remember in the first year that there were boosts for X-Men members or Dark Avengers, but were later removed. They can return I guess...Environment tiles changed to Team Up Tiles... I think, with the growing number of characters, there can be new concepts to be developed. It may be complicated but SYNERGIES may come to play.

1. Synergy – A new concept. You get % increase in attack or health when you team up with an enemy, or friend or romance or team member. Say if I play with Thing, Mr Fantastic, IW or HTorch, I get 10% increased health because they are all part of F4. Same with X-Men. Or if I put Daken and Wolverine they get increase because they are FAMILY related. Another, if you play with Elektra, Kingpin, and Daredevil you have there RIVALRY, ROMANCE etc. Or Storm plus Black Panther – Romance. This sounds FAR from REALITY but it amps up the relationship of CHARACTERS in the game. It gives a new meaning to them and you will be able to choose who to play with. And also, NEXT CHARACTERS to be released will now be considered closely to see what effect they have in the existing characters and what relationships to be built. I think this sounds fun...

2. New Tiles – Like for Doctor Strange, new SPELL Tile. Or if we can introduce POISON, draining health (But we need first someone who POISONs hahaha). CONFUSION – instead of hitting the enemy, you hit yourself.

3. New storyline – Since there are new characters in play, I believe new storylines will come soon! Dark Phoenix Saga? Why not?

4. One on One PVP Battle – Similar to Crash of the Titans but on the PVP level. Easier gameplay, better rewards, harder ranking.

I love this game and has played with Android, iOS and Steam. And even there are a few glitches, hits and misses, I am still looking forward on how the game will evolve and how it connects with the recent developments in the Marvel Universe.

Lastly, we as players, hope for fewer glitches, downtime and server errors. Yes, we hear you (Adventure Time Puzzle Quest, and Magic: The Gathering is coming), but we expect that MPQ will certainly not be left out. But hey! Thank you for the teasers, that keeps us anticipating and also for reaching out to players' needs, wants and suggestions. MPQ, to infinity (or to the 3rd year rather) and beyond!

Comments

• franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    hopefully they re gonna recruit you in D3 dev team
  • Kitty Pryde could have a direct damage attack in the form of Lockheed, her pet Dragon.
  • Yep. I definitely agree with that. Like Redwing of Falcon
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. Synergy – A new concept. You get % increase in attack or health when you team up with an enemy, or friend or romance or team member. Say if I play with Thing, Mr Fantastic, IW or HTorch, I get 10% increased health because they are all part of F4. Same with X-Men. Or if I put Daken and Wolverine they get increase because they are FAMILY related. Another, if you play with Elektra, Kingpin, and Daredevil you have there RIVALRY, ROMANCE etc. Or Storm plus Black Panther – Romance. This sounds FAR from REALITY but it amps up the relationship of CHARACTERS in the game. It gives a new meaning to them and you will be able to choose who to play with. And also, NEXT CHARACTERS to be released will now be considered closely to see what effect they have in the existing characters and what relationships to be built. I think this sounds fun...

They did kiiiinda do this with Mr. Fantastic, although it seems like that idea has been abandoned in favor of "this ability changes into another ability if you do a thing" recently.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Awesome ideas from the OP. If I may, I'd like to add some of mine to the mix:

Events for Year 3
    I'm stoked to hear that we have new storylines on the way but I really do hope they start expanding the villain roster, both playable and NPC. Events should be planned around these boss characters, with proper sub-villains and henchman. We have quite a few good Marvel properties coming out in 2016, so I think it would be wise for the devs to capitalize on the movie momentum and focus on related material. The three big Marvel films for next year are Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse and Dr. Strange. Civil War should come first and should be relatively easy to do since many of the characters involved are already in the game. Since the X-men movie is being released around the same time, I would save the Apocalypse event for either the DVD release or anniversary. I would do teaser of 5* Dr. Strange for the anniversary and then have him officially available when the movie is released.

Main Events for Year 3:

Civil War (Spring)
    X-men vs Avengers (Summer)
    Age of Apocalypse (Autumn)

Civil War
    Event Type: Non-Alliance, Meta-group versus battle
    Length of Event: 5 days, 2 runs (2 day break)
    The player base will be divided on two sides: Red or Blue
    Set Up: Players are divided onto two sides Red (Iron Man) or Blue (Captain America). Although team designation is random, factors such as roster strength and shield use history are also consider when assigning teams to ensure both sides have a fairly even distribution of hard hitters and n00bs to keep the war interesting. Alliance affiliation is not considered so members of an alliance may find themselves on different sides of the war. Rosters are limited by side affiliation, so basically if you have every character you will only be able to use half your roster during the event.

The event is basically a PvP event but no ranking rewards. Instead there is a bar display to show how many points each side has. Every player starts off with the same amount of points and both sides have the same total amount of points. Each player starts off with 1000 points. You can earn rewards through progression, how many points you finish with at the end of the event and if your side won the reward. Additionally, Iso skip tax will be turned off for this event as I imagine it will run concurrently with season play and will give players more incentive to hunt for juicier targets. Also, a player will only be able to hit players from the opposing side. You will not be able to hit players on your side.

Rewards: Iron Suit Spider-Man 4*

Reward distribution:

Progression:
    1050: 100 Iso
    1100: 3 Color AP boost
    1150: 150 Iso
    1200: 2* Hawkeye Blue
    1300: Civil War Token
    1400: 25 HP
    1500: 500 Iso
    1600: 3* Spider-Man cover blue
    1650: 25HP
    1700: Civil War Token
    1750: 50 HP
    1800: Steve Rogers Blue
    1900: 1000 ISO
    2000: Hulk Buster Iron Man Red
    2300: Legendary Token
    2500: 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man

Total Points earned by end of event rewards
    100: 100 Iso
    200: 2* Captain America Red
    300: Civil War Token
    400: 500 Iso
    500: 3* Iron Man Blue
    600: 25 HP
    700: Civil War Token
    800: 25 HP
    900: 3* Steve Rogers Red
    1000: Legendary Token
    1100: 50 HP
    1200: 1000 Iso
    1300: 25 CP
    1400: 2000 Iso
    1500: Hulk Buster Iron Man Blue
    1600: 25 CP
    1750: Legendary Token
    2000: 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man Red

Victorious side rewards
    10,000 Iso
    300 HP
    3 Legendary Tokens
    100 CP
    4* Iron Suit Spider-Man Yellow

Idea behind reward scheme: The reward structure is set-up in a way that forces the individual player to make the choice: do I shield up now and play it safe or do I try to help out my "side" and go for more points? I know there is a lot more HP available in this event but I think the amount of shields used in the event will balance it out. If the average Joe player understands what rewards are at stake, I can imagine the last day of this war will be a bloodbath to shield. Good times!

After the first run, there is a two day break. Then, the two sides switch colors and which characters they can use for the event. So a player has the potential to win 6 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man colors and a decent amount of legendary tokens and CP.

X-Men Vs Avengers
    Event Type: Non-Alliance, Meta-group Versus Battle
    Length: 3 days, 2 runs (Off season event)
    The player base will be divided onto two sides: Avengers or X-Men
    Set Up: Similar to Civil War Versus event, but shorter and ran during off season. X-men and Avengers characters get a nice big boost depending on your team affiliation. The 4* character rewards you receive depends on your team affiliation as well

Rewards: *4 Unstoppable Colossus (X-men)/ 4* Nova (All-New Avengers)

Progression:
    1200: 2* Storm Classic/ 2* OBW
    1300: Event Token
    1600: 3* Psylocke cover red/3* Thor Yellow
    1700: Event Token
    1800: 3* Patch Green/3*Scarlet Witch Purple
    2000: 4* Cyclops Yellow/ 4* Sam Wilson Red
    2500: 4* Unstoppable Colossus Red/4* Nova Yellow

300: Event Token
    500: 3* Beast Blue/ 3* Quicksilver black
    700: Event Token
    900: 3* Cyclops Black/ 3* Steve Rogers Blue
    1500: 4* Iceman Blue/ 4* Thor Blue
    2000:4* Unstoppable Colossus Green/4* Nova Blue

Victorious side rewards
    10,000 Iso
    300 HP
    3 Legendary Tokens
    100 CP
    4* Unstoppable Colossus Purple /4* Nova Black

Age of Apocalypse

Event Type: Story Alliance event 4 chapters like prologue, each chapter is 4 day event with 3 subs
    Length of Event: 7 days, 4 subs, one chapter released a month
    Set up: A new story event with four chapters, each chapter being released a month a part. New villains and Boss Battle. You do not face Apocalypse until final chapter. Basically you earn progression rewards both personal and alliance.

NPC Villains
    Holocaust
    Sugar Man
    Cyclops
    Mr. Sinister
    Havok
    Domino
    Dead Man Wade
    Dark Beast
    Mr. Sinister

Chapter 1: A Dark Age
    Mini Boss: Sugar Man
    Boss: Dark Beast
    Reward: 4*Magneto (AoA)

Chapter 2: Survival of the Fittest
    Mini Boss: Domino
    Boss: Cyclops and Havok
    Reward: 4* Weapon X (AoA) [because the devs can't resist lol]

Chapter 3: No Hope
    Mini Boss: Cyclops and Havok
    Boss: Holocaust
    Reward: 4* Nightcrawler (AoA)X

Chapter 4: Requiem
    Mini Boss: Mr. Sinister
    Boss: Apocalypse
    Reward: 4* X-Man (Nate Grey) [or Archangel since he will be in the movie]

Lol just realize I forgot to hit my final sub grind for PvE. Oh well, had more fun doing this anyway icon_razz.gif
    Additionally, they should sprinkle in some mini-non-competitive events and viola awesome Year 3 haha
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Appreciate the time and effort of this post...nicely done. I got a couple add-ons icon_e_biggrin.gif

1. Longshot - would love to see luck incorporated somehow
    2. Cable - nuff said
    3. Bishop - shoot ur attacks back at you? Maybe just certain colors...
    4. Adam Warlock - 5*?
    5. Mandarin - 10 rings Booya!
    6. Archangel - last of the original X-men
    7. Silver Samurai - cuz there are 500 Wolverines now!
  • Appreciate the time and effort of this post...nicely done. I got a couple add-ons icon_e_biggrin.gif

2. Cable - nuff said
    4. Adam Warlock - 5*?

I agree. There are a lot of characters and possibilities...
  • Appreciate the time and effort of this post...nicely done. I got a couple add-ons icon_e_biggrin.gif

2. Cable - nuff said
    4. Adam Warlock - 5*?

I agree. There are a lot of characters and possibilities...
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    [snipping fight4thedream's excellent Civil War/AvX event proposals]

Interestingly, I started to sketch out the design for a Civil War PVE event around the time of the first Ultron event, wherein selecting one node after the initial fight would lock certain nodes and about half your roster. Not exactly what he was proposing here, but interesting to see that great minds think similarly.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main priority for year 3 is to increase player engagement with IAPs. Introduction of additional currencies tied to greater purchase amounts will be the primary driver, and further dilute the resistance to purchase threshold for non-paying users.

The next goal is to reduce the time to first purchase for new users through trade up or upgrade schemes. After 2 years, there is a widening gap between the new starts and existing playerbase which can present a daunting barrier. This "get better faster" approach will help new players to become competitive sooner which helps provide validation for IAPs.

The stagnation of new characters at the 3-star tier will need to be addressed. The introduction of 2-star required characters in PvE revitalised a need to keep all characters, however this never really disappeared at the 3-star tier. In supporting the 4-star metagame, all 3-star PvP events will be suspended and 4- & 5-star featured PvP will take their place.
  • Awesome ideas from the OP. If I may, I'd like to add some of mine to the mix:

Events for Year 3

Main Events for Year 3:

Civil War (Spring)
    X-men vs Avengers (Summer)
    Age of Apocalypse (Autumn)

Civil War
    Event Type: Non-Alliance, Meta-group versus battle
    Length of Event: 5 days, 2 runs (2 day break)
    The player base will be divided on two sides: Red or Blue
    Set Up: Players are divided onto two sides Red (Iron Man) or Blue (Captain America). Although team designation is random, factors such as roster strength and shield use history are also consider when assigning teams to ensure both sides have a fairly even distribution of hard hitters and n00bs to keep the war interesting. Alliance affiliation is not considered so members of an alliance may find themselves on different sides of the war. Rosters are limited by side affiliation, so basically if you have every character you will only be able to use half your roster during the event.

The event is basically a PvP event but no ranking rewards. Instead there is a bar display to show how many points each side has. Every player starts off with the same amount of points and both sides have the same total amount of points. Each player starts off with 1000 points. You can earn rewards through progression, how many points you finish with at the end of the event and if your side won the reward. Additionally, Iso skip tax will be turned off for this event as I imagine it will run concurrently with season play and will give players more incentive to hunt for juicier targets. Also, a player will only be able to hit players from the opposing side. You will not be able to hit players on your side.

Rewards: Iron Suit Spider-Man 4*

Reward distribution:

Progression:
    1200: 2* Hawkeye Blue
    1300: Civil War Token
    1600: 3* Spider-Man cover blue
    1700: Civil War Token
    1800: Steve Rogers Blue
    2000: Hulk Buster Iron Man Red
    2500: 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man

300: Civil War Token
    500: 3* Iron Man Blue
    700: Civil War Token
    900: 3* Steve Rogers Red
    1500: Hulk Buster Iron Man Blue
    2000: 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man Red

Victorious side rewards
    10,000 Iso
    300 HP
    3 Legendary Tokens
    100 CP
    4* Iron Suit Spider-Man Yellow

Idea behind reward scheme: The reward structure is set-up in a way that forces the individual player to make the choice: do I shield up now and play it safe or do I try to help out my "side" and go for more points? I know there is a lot more HP available in this event but I think the amount of shields used in the event will balance it out. If the average Joe player understands what rewards are at stake, I can imagine the last day of this war will be a bloodbath to shield. Good times!

After the first run, there is a two day break. Then, the two sides switch colors and which characters they can use for the event. So a player has the potential to win 6 4* Iron Suit Spider-Man colors and a decent amount of legendary tokens and CP.

X-Men Vs Avengers
    Event Type: Non-Alliance, Meta-group Versus Battle
    Length: 3 days, 2 runs (Off season event)
    The player base will be divided onto two sides: Avengers or X-Men
    Set Up: Similar to Civil War Versus event, but shorter and ran during off season. X-men and Avengers characters get a nice big boost depending on your team affiliation. The 4* character rewards you receive depends on your team affiliation as well

Rewards: *4 Unstoppable Colossus (X-men)/ 4* Nova (All-New Avengers)

Progression:
    1200: 2* Storm Classic/ 2* OBW
    1300: Event Token
    1600: 3* Psylocke cover red/3* Thor Yellow
    1700: Event Token
    1800: 3* Patch Green/3*Scarlet Witch Purple
    2000: 4* Cyclops Yellow/ 4* Sam Wilson Red
    2500: 4* Unstoppable Colossus Red/4* Nova Yellow

300: Event Token
    500: 3* Beast Blue/ 3* Quicksilver black
    700: Event Token
    900: 3* Cyclops Black/ 3* Steve Rogers Blue
    1500: 4* Iceman Blue/ 4* Thor Blue
    2000:4* Unstoppable Colossus Green/4* Nova Blue

Victorious side rewards
    10,000 Iso
    300 HP
    3 Legendary Tokens
    100 CP
    4* Unstoppable Colossus Purple /4* Nova Black

Age of Apocalypse

Event Type: Story Alliance event 4 chapters like prologue, each chapter is 4 day event with 3 subs
    Length of Event: 7 days, 4 subs, one chapter released a month
    Set up: A new story event with four chapters, each chapter being released a month a part. New villains and Boss Battle. You do not face Apocalypse until final chapter. Basically you earn progression rewards both personal and alliance.

NPC Villains
    Holocaust
    Sugar Man
    Cyclops
    Mr. Sinister
    Havok
    Domino
    Dead Man Wade
    Dark Beast
    Mr. Sinister

Chapter 1: A Dark Age
    Mini Boss: Sugar Man
    Boss: Dark Beast
    Reward: 4*Magneto (AoA)

Chapter 2: Survival of the Fittest
    Mini Boss: Domino
    Boss: Cyclops and Havok
    Reward: 4* Weapon X (AoA) [because the devs can't resist lol]

Chapter 3: No Hope
    Mini Boss: Cyclops and Havok
    Boss: Holocaust
    Reward: 4* Nightcrawler (AoA)X

Chapter 4: Requiem
    Mini Boss: Mr. Sinister
    Boss: Apocalypse
    Reward: 4* X-Man (Nate Grey) [or Archangel since he will be in the movie]

Lol just realize I forgot to hit my final sub grind for PvE. Oh well, had more fun doing this anyway icon_razz.gif
    Additionally, they should sprinkle in some mini-non-competitive events and viola awesome Year 3 haha

Hey, this is nicely and tastefully done!!!!!!

I love the concept of taking sides.. Similar to the Boss battles per Sub EV. That'll be cooler if it'll be one on one?

I also agree with new NPCs like Gorgon.... There are some important characters needed in the stories of these that don't need to be playable...

Crossing Fingers!!!
  • jffdougan wrote:

Interestingly, I started to sketch out the design for a Civil War PVE event around the time of the first Ultron event, wherein selecting one node after the initial fight would lock certain nodes and about half your roster. Not exactly what he was proposing here, but interesting to see that great minds think similarly.

Right and I have also thought of choosing your side means choosing who to use. I definitely agree with that one! Since most of the involved in that are already in the game...
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    jffdougan wrote:

Right and I have also thought of choosing your side means choosing who to use. I definitely agree with that one! Since most of the involved in that are already in the game...

In my initial sketch, the very first node was something like any heroes you want vs. 3 unique-ish goons. After that, you had to pick one of two others. Whichever node you picked locked the other. Additionally, it set the sequence of nodes you could fight, each of which allowed only half of your roster (depending on how the heroes had sided during the Civil War comic).
  • Mawtful wrote:
    The main priority for year 3 is to increase player engagement with IAPs. Introduction of additional currencies tied to greater purchase amounts will be the primary driver, and further dilute the resistance to purchase threshold for non-paying users.

The next goal is to reduce the time to first purchase for new users through trade up or upgrade schemes. After 2 years, there is a widening gap between the new starts and existing playerbase which can present a daunting barrier. This "get better faster" approach will help new players to become competitive sooner which helps provide validation for IAPs.

The stagnation of new characters at the 3-star tier will need to be addressed. The introduction of 2-star required characters in PvE revitalised a need to keep all characters, however this never really disappeared at the 3-star tier. In supporting the 4-star metagame, all 3-star PvP events will be suspended and 4- & 5-star featured PvP will take their place.

I agree with that. Of course, IAPs help the game to develop to where users want it to be. Since CP are already a thing, I see more developments on how the engagement will happen. Actually, Command Points are a fresh element to encourage players to purchase. Especially in Alliances.. I got a lot of CPs from my alliance because of their purchases..

the 4* and 5* PVPs are sure to happen but I think that'll be late next year unless we get 4* and 5* more frequently (which actually is happening now)

3* - May or May not happen again until they have reached their quota for 4 and 5*. I remember when we were flooded with a lot of 3*, and 4* are like released once in 2 months or so, but since 5* are now a thing and 3* are almost occupying half the game, we can't expect them to drop anytime sooner.
  • jffdougan wrote:
    jffdougan wrote:

In my initial sketch, the very first node was something like any heroes you want vs. 3 unique-ish goons. After that, you had to pick one of two others. Whichever node you picked locked the other. Additionally, it set the sequence of nodes you could fight, each of which allowed only half of your roster (depending on how the heroes had sided during the Civil War comic).

Yep that's how I see it... And they can do a back to back run of the PVE if you wish to earn the rewards and battle the other node.