Mission point reset mechanics

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I was searching but haven't found a detailed answer to that. Also I hope you understand what I'm asking, since english is not my first language and it's pretty tough to explain stuff like that in detail.

You always read nodes reset in 8/12 hours, depending on the event, but I was wondering how this works a little more in detail.

You play a mission and get the points. Now after 8/12 hours you would get the same points again. This is pretty much a given fact.

But how does this work on missions that take multiple repeats until the points are depleted? Does each repeat phase reset individually or does the node reset as a whole?

What I mean is:
Let's say it takes 12 hours to reset in this example. Play a node 5 times and the points are depleted (set to 1 point). Let's say you needed 15 minutes for that (3 minutes per Mission).
9:00am: started the first mission
9:03am: finished first mission
9:06am: finished mission second time
9:09am: finished mission third time
9:12am: finished mission fourth time
9:15am: finished mission fifth and final time for that cycle

So does the node reset at 9pm since you started playing there. At 9:03pm when you finished it the first time? Or at 9:15pm when you finished it the final time?

Or does it gradually reset each phase at 9:03pm, 9:06pm, 9:09pm, 9:12pm, 9:15pm?
I sometimes saw this with missions that I depleted. I checked back a while later and it didn't have its full point value again, but more than 1 point again. And a while later it had full points again. This would be an indicator for a gradual reset.

Another question is, do you screw yourself over if you play the mission during the reset cycle again?
Let's say you play at 7am, the mission would now reset 7pm. But now you decide to play another round of that mission at 10am, does the whole mission reset at 10pm now? Or does the first phase reset at 7pm and then the next gradual reset is at 10pm?

Or maybe I'm all wrong and the whole stage resets at a given time?

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    It's gradual. Yes, you'll mess it up if you don't wait for all of the stacks to refresh.
  • I'm assuming with the way the points reset, it's best to make a set block of time for yourself and then hammer all the missions as much as you can in that time, and then wait 8/12 hours and do it again?

I must admit that's not something I do myself. I tend to go through missions until all my main characters are injured and I'm out of health packs, then I'll do some more missions a couple of hours later when I've got my health packs and everyone is nearly healed up. I'm guessing this definitely isn't the most optimal way to play!
  • Nemek wrote:
    It's gradual. Yes, you'll mess it up if you don't wait for all of the stacks to refresh.
    That was quick and easy, thanks.

So if it's gradual, you mess it up because you might never get the full point reset if you play in between? Basically you would only get the gradual points all the time which in the end results in a lower overall value. But it's still better than skipping a reset cycle completely.
  • whorst wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    That was quick and easy, thanks.

So if it's gradual, you mess it up because you might never get the full point reset if you play in between? Basically you would only get the gradual points all the time which in the end results in a lower overall value. But it's still better than skipping a reset cycle completely.
    If you take some low points off a stack at, say, 36hrs 24 minutes, you won't have full points back on it until 24hrs 24 minutes. If it takes you 20 minutes to grind that down you have only 4 minutes at the end of the event to do it again. It's generally better before the last cycle to leave a partial stack alone than do it very late so you know you'll have time to clear it at max value next time. But rubber banding means the later you do a mission (simplifying), the more points it gives you, so you should also do everything as near the deadline as you're confident you can get away with, and order them according to how far you estimate you are from max rubber band threshold. Have fun!

I really don't know why people think PvE events are less stressful than PvP.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's less stressful because you have a plan and a timeline. You don't exit a battle and see 4 attacks giving you -120 points. It's just you and the challenge presented.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How many points is the first mission in the normal simulator worth when it has reset? I forget what time I played yesterday and am not sure what point value to wait for to play it again.