Strange happenings in PVP

Unknown
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I'm sitting shielded at 1100+ in the X23 PVP, and I notice a player (let's call him "M") come up behind me to overtake me from 1000+.

After a bit I notice M has taken 1300. Wow! Nice.

After a little I notice he has taken 1400+. Ok, I gotta Q this guy!

So I skip and skip and skip. I wasted about 700 iso but cannot find him to Q. I go back to check that he still isn't shielded. Huh. Maybe he is shielded but hasn't been reflected yet. Hmm.

After about 1/2 hr I come back to see that M is finally shielded at 1700+. Ok, something is seriously amiss here. icon_eek.gif

1. How can anybody climb from 1000 (or maybe even before 1000) to 1700 in one shot without shields or attacks?
2. Why did he not show up in any of my Q's?

This might be a bug, but I don't want to post it in that section or it would go unnoticed. Also I'm posting this here because it might've not been a bug but something more sinister.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Comments

• Should he have any special account. I'm not sure how this works but it must have an account that only allows retaliation from whom he attacked or who have an account equal or above it.
  • Not a bug, we're in the same bracket. (I can see you)

I sat unshielded at 1091 for...3 hours before I actually started climbing to shield.
    "M" was a little lower than that before starting the climb.

A few of us used the horrible and dreaded LINE to coordinate ("M" and I are in one of the same rooms, and we were climbing at the same time). Loads of known players who were already at 1800+ hopped. We queued them in succession and fought them after they shielded. I went from 0 this morning when I joined the bracket to 1448 before shielding, and solely because I was out of health packs. "M" kept going and made it to 1725 before finally throwing down a shield.

I believe he ran a 1/4/1 level 345 OML, and a maxed Carnage in addition to a 7 covered x23.

As for not being able to Q him... I dunno. I skipped him a few times, he bounced me a couple after I shielded, and others in the room definitely hit him later, as well as some non-room people who got him un#.

It was an impressive run that took over an hour to finish. He then hopped maybe an hour later up to 1898. No bugs or cheating going on. Just a lot of gumption to be out at such high points unshielded for so long.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty sure that 345 OML played a big part in discouraging potential attackers... how much HP is that anyway? Even if you win it would take you ages, while you yourself would be attacked.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    Pretty sure that 345 OML played a big part in discouraging potential attackers... how much HP is that anyway? Even if you win it would take you ages, while you yourself would be attacked.

Absolutely plays a part in deterring people. Scary/slow/health pack eating teams do act as a deterrent depending on your points. If you're worth enough, people will attack you.
    Pretty sure my maxed Carnage is why I was able to float at nearly 1100 untouched for hours. Definitely beatable, but slow to fight and if there are 2 easy fights for 45 each, do you want to take the slower (and more health pack intensive one) for 55 or do the 2 easy ones? Now, if I was a 1500 instead of 1100, I think I'd get hit a bit more.

As for his 245 OML, comes in at about 19k health (which is about the same as the buffed maxed Carnage), and he heals for almost 1400 a turn while the other two teammates are around, and has some gnarly match damage (278, 247, 216). Some of the surefire ways to beat OML involve using some slightly slower teams of your own, and that can leave you open to attacks, so many people skip.
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    My bracket has someone with 2 Silver Surfers and Old Man . One is 3/5/5 and the other is 3/4/4 one at 450 and the other at 420 and Logan has 3/2/1 and is 350. He's the only one not shielded in the top 10.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deadpooool wrote:
    So I'm sitting shielded at 1100+ in the X23 PVP, and I notice a player (let's call him "M") come up behind me to overtake me from 1000+.

After a bit I notice M has taken 1300. Wow! Nice.

After a little I notice he has taken 1400+. Ok, I gotta Q this guy!

So I skip and skip and skip. I wasted about 700 iso but cannot find him to Q. I go back to check that he still isn't shielded. Huh. Maybe he is shielded but hasn't been reflected yet. Hmm.

After about 1/2 hr I come back to see that M is finally shielded at 1700+. Ok, something is seriously amiss here. icon_eek.gif

1. How can anybody climb from 1000 (or maybe even before 1000) to 1700 in one shot without shields or attacks?
    2. Why did he not show up in any of my Q's?

This might be a bug, but I don't want to post it in that section or it would go unnoticed. Also I'm posting this here because it might've not been a bug but something more sinister.

Do you have any 5*s rostered? It was not until i had a few max 4*s and a 5* on my roster before i could q up certain persons teams, unless they were one of the only targets left above my score.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Do you have any 5*s rostered? It was not until i had a few max 4*s and a 5* on my roster before i could q up certain persons teams, unless they were one of the only targets left above my score.

I have one Silver Surfer rostered.

And have had no problems seeing other 5* before.
  • I don't know the exact numbers, but I have approximates. It seems that anyone that is playing a 5* with 9+ covers is essentially invisible to anyone not also using 5* teams. It stays that way until you personally hit 1300 points or so. At that point, you can see every team in your shard. Based on what you posted, I'd say that this is what happened to you. (There's a "difficulty value" that a team has that seems to be based on both level and number of covers. 5* teams with levels and covers puts them out of the attack range of even my maxed 4* teams.)
  • Cbird wrote:
    I don't know the exact numbers, but I have approximates. It seems that anyone that is playing a 5* with 9+ covers is essentially invisible to anyone not also using 5* teams. It stays that way until you personally hit 1300 points or so. At that point, you can see every team in your shard. Based on what you posted, I'd say that this is what happened to you. (There's a "difficulty value" that a team has that seems to be based on both level and number of covers. 5* teams with levels and covers puts them out of the attack range of even my maxed 4* teams.)

I hit 1300 regularly.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deadpooool wrote:

Occasionally I have a devil of a time finding a known queue. Jumping in to the leaderboard quick, coming back out can help. My theory is it's a combination of the MMR and stale refreshes. It will spend time cycling through the same group for a bit until you can get a server refresh, but if there are too many 'better' matches it won't grab the higher point target.
  • Deadpooool wrote:
    Cbird wrote:
    I don't know the exact numbers, but I have approximates. It seems that anyone that is playing a 5* with 9+ covers is essentially invisible to anyone not also using 5* teams. It stays that way until you personally hit 1300 points or so. At that point, you can see every team in your shard. Based on what you posted, I'd say that this is what happened to you. (There's a "difficulty value" that a team has that seems to be based on both level and number of covers. 5* teams with levels and covers puts them out of the attack range of even my maxed 4* teams.)

I hit 1300 regularly.

It doesn't matter what you hit regularly, it only matters what your current pvp numbers are. I also hit well upwards of 1300 in every pvp, but the 5* teams with a certain number of levels are not visible to me until after I hit 1300 in that particular pvp. After passing 1300, all of the teams are visible... even the 5* teams.
  • Pylgrim wrote:

You think? Given the jacked up matchmaking, and points generation, someone with a topped out team with 4 and 5 star characters has the world as their oyster.