Kingpin essential pin bugged in Manhattan

I played the Kingpin pin 14 times in an attempt to get the command point.

It gave the 1st reward every time (250 ISO the first time, 20 ISO after that). The odds of this are 1 in 256,000,000. So, this is a bug!

(Playing on an iPad mini).

Comments

• SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Your assumption (and math) are incorrect. There's a significant chance to get just 20 iso, and a chance to get a reward instead of 20 iso.

There's a high enough chance to get 20 iso that it's not uncommon to play a node as many as 20 times, and not only not get all the rewards, but to only get one or two of them.

This is not a bug, the game is working as intended, though it is unfortunate luck in this case.
  • Actually, no. The way the game normally works is that a random reward of the 4 is given out each attempt. So you will NEVER get 20 ISO on your first clear. The nature of statistics is that you often need many more than 4 attempts to hit all 4, but always hitting reward 1 for 14 tries is not statistically feasible.
  • SirLanik
    What I'm stating is that your assumption of the % to earn certain rewards is incorrect. Just play through a few prologue missions enough times to earn all the rewards to see what I mean. Easily had a few dozen nodes I had to play 20+ times to get 2+ rewards.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    zyrain wrote:
    Actually, no. The way the game normally works is that a random reward of the 4 is given out each attempt. So you will NEVER get 20 ISO on your first clear. The nature of statistics is that you often need many more than 4 attempts to hit all 4, but always hitting reward 1 for 14 tries is not statistically feasible.

The first prize given will always be one of the 4. After that, you have a 50% chance of getting 20 ISO, 50% chance of getting one of the remaining rewards. The 20 ISO does not simply take the slot of the rewards you have already received.
  • The algorithm is quite simple. The game rolls a 4 sided die and hands out whatever is in that 'slot'. If the item in the slot has already been awarded, it awards 20 ISO instead.

The odds of receiving the first slot every time for 14 tries is thus the same as rolling a 4 sided die 14 times and getting a 1 every time. It's VERY unlikely (1/4 ^ 14).

Your experience in the prolog is not the experience above. And you did not play the pin 20 times to get a second award, even if it felt that way. I have done all the prolog missions, and the probability distribution is exactly as I describe above.

The pins are set up with data for each time the mission is deployed. Most of the time this work has already been done thus it's a 'copy and paste'. However, on new missions, there are sometimes mistakes (e.g. one of the pins in the Galactus event crashed the game). With this node being the first time command points are offered as awards, there is a similar data error on this pin. I want it corrected for the next time.
  • SirLanik
    Your statement about how the game decides rewards after completing a node is incorrect. The node is not bugged. You had some unfortunate luck. There is nothing to correct going forward. I wish you the best of luck in your continued game play.
  • zyrain wrote:
    Actually, no. The way the game normally works is that a random reward of the 4 is given out each attempt. So you will NEVER get 20 ISO on your first clear. The nature of statistics is that you often need many more than 4 attempts to hit all 4, but always hitting reward 1 for 14 tries is not statistically feasible.

The first prize given will always be one of the 4. After that, you have a 50% chance of getting 20 ISO, 50% chance of getting one of the remaining rewards. The 20 ISO does not simply take the slot of the rewards you have already received.

Interesting, I wasn't aware this is how it works. That goes a long way to explaining my near certainty of getting 20 iso on the second playthrough of any node.