Observations from this week in MPQ

Unknown
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just some things I've noticed over this week on the forum and in the game.

Command Points - I'm actually in favor of them and enjoy getting that 5th purpleflag.pngicon_deadpool.png from 25 CP. While I agree that these should somehow be associated with cover sales, I'm waiting for the next gameplay feature that the CP had interfered with.

Side note: CP does not mean pay to win. It means at 25, you get 1 LT. That could be a SS, OML, PHX (Phoenix, did anyone come up with that abbreviation yet?) or it could be SL or IW! Granted a high paying alliance will earn CP faster and progress quicker, however at the amount of money they are spending they're ahead already.

X-23 - You know, I was upset about another Wolvie but this one is awesome to me. Actually deserving of being the X-Force star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png (sorry WXF), X-23's true healing is a monster that activates just off of matching tiles and not requiring x amount of AP like DXF's Out of Bullets or X-Force's Recovery. The Green also seems extremely promising to me (She's 2/2/0 at 106)

Side Note 2: Two Daily Deals from Track and Slash both yielded a X-23 cover. That's a 100% pull on my end for one pulls and is defenitly nice. Checking the token odds at 3.6 - 4.8% means you have a great chance at X-23 or a star.pngstar.png . Increased token odds are better here than some others. I'm looking at you Prodigal Son.

Mercs - As with any F2P game, MPQ uses the element of social media. Granted Facebook and alliance connection is well not connected like other F2P games, however it follows a very basic rule in the social media and gaming mix "The more, the merrier." In a lot of games, having more friends meant more resupplies, more money, faster health, etc. If you have stronger friends they can send you strong gifts to help you along the way. Mercs in this game are no different. If you have an alliance that has a few strong members and some who don't care too much, aren't able to play as much, or aren't able to assist the alliance, then bringing in outside help doesn't hurt those who live and breathe MPQ.
Now my alliance didn't use mercs until Galactus. Some came in and left and some made permanent homes in the semi-casual alliance of ours. However, if I receive a bunch of messages and the alliance wants to go for a major alliance placement award, I would recruit mercs and make changes as need be.

I believe the issue lies that members are notified that they are being dropped and it becomes frustrating. Also, certain alliances drop off toward the end because they forget how optimal PVE grinding works. If everyone optimally grinds their way through and makes a major push at the end, there should be no issue. Some of the complaints are sorry to say but hilarious.

Basically optimal grind and if you're going to drop someone even temporarily, let them know why. Maybe that lights a fire under someone and you get a more optimal result.

In conclusion or TL;DR, command points show major promise and a bright future, X-23 IMO is the second best Wolvie variant, and Merc Life follows social media F2P game mechanics.

Comments

• Funny you should mention the high odds when recruiting X-23. I don't know if its the same for everyone but I have a vault for the hack and slash PVP. I don't typically like the vaults so I was reluctant to throw HP at it until I read your post. I'm glad I threw down the 100 HP because I got the Legendary Token which ended up being a much needed greenflag.pngicon_redhulk.png

Not X-23 which is what I was going for but what the hell, still pretty cool

Edit: I guess the PVP is actually called Track and Slash...doh!
  • Funny you should mention the high odds when recruiting X-23. I don't know if its the same for everyone but I have a vault for the hack and slash PVP. I don't typically like the vaults so I was reluctant to throw HP at it until I read your post. I'm glad I threw down the 100 HP because I got the Legendary Token which ended up being a much needed greenflag.pngicon_redhulk.png

Not X-23 which is what I was going for but what the hell, still pretty cool

Edit: I guess the PVP is actually called Track and Slash...doh!

I have the tokens and not the Vault. So results may vary. I did get a legendary from the Heroic Vault and received a icon_carnage.pnggreenflag.png

and fresh off the presses!

100HP daily deal heroic icon_carnage.pnggreenflag.png

Hmm, I've seen a lot of Carnage lately...
  • florida92 wrote:
    Side note: CP does not mean pay to win. It means at 25, you get 1 LT. That could be a SS, OML, PHX (Phoenix, did anyone come up with that abbreviation yet?) or it could be SL or IW! Granted a high paying alliance will earn CP faster and progress quicker, however at the amount of money they are spending they're ahead already.

More out of curiousity than any real interest, but it sounds like you're saying it isn't PTW and then clearly describing exactly why it is PTW?

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but it was just a bit jarring to read the declarative statement and then the precise argument against it within the same paragraph.

DBC
  • florida92 wrote:

More out of curiousity than any real interest, but it sounds like you're saying it isn't PTW and then clearly describing exactly why it is PTW?

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but it was just a bit jarring to read the declarative statement and then the precise argument against it within the same paragraph.

DBC

I did that on purpose.

Read a thread where a couple of complaints were made how it was whale-centric while it wasn't enough to help the four star transition. Huh?

My opinion is it is pay to win, however with some pulling in double digits of the same IW or SL cover it's not like Command Points will fully cover SS/OML/ and PHX??? Phoenix (Still don't know the abbreviation) in some short amount of time even if the alliance is spending $$$$ like some have suggested.

It's not doom and gloom like some think
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a difference between "pay to win" (the ability to throw money at the game and be part of the upper crust) and being able to pay for help progressing.

Ask the Whales -- MPQ is not pay to win. It's extremely hard to pay your way into victory in MPQ (unless you have extremely expendable income like a few of them do happen to have). I couple drop a grand easy on MPQ and barely dent my 3* progression.
  • There is a difference between "pay to win" (the ability to throw money at the game and be part of the upper crust) and being able to pay for help progressing.

Ask the Whales -- MPQ is not pay to win. It's extremely hard to pay your way into victory in MPQ (unless you have extremely expendable income like a few of them do happen to have). I couple drop a grand easy on MPQ and barely dent my 3* progression.

IMO MPQ isn't/is pay to win but it comes down to money spent and where the progression is at.

Spending thousands in a sitting is pay to win. Spending a stark or less here and there for shields or roster spots is paying to progress or basically paying to catch up to the ever changing end game.

I would know in spending over $1,000 in 4 months, I went from nothing to being somewhat competitive and able to go after 4 and 5 * characters.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saying a game is pay to win by spending a thousand dollars is a little hyperbolic, don't you think? How much of the playerbase can actually do that?

[Edit for clarity]: I just say this because "pay to win" is a generally vilified term for games that all you have to do is throw a hundo at it and you're the big dog (think The Ripper on Call of Duty -- seriously screw that gun). Like you said, you spent a grand to have the ability to maybe be a little competitive.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    florida92 wrote:

Hmm, I've seen a lot of Carnage lately...

Considering that Carnage will be following KingPin in weekly ddq, that's a good thing. icon_mrgreen.gif