Power Combos

bobbyfish
bobbyfish Posts: 299
I can't see any posts on it, so here's something I think would mix things up a bit.

How about certain combinations of characters (pairs mainly, but maybe even triples) were able to trigger combination attacks? In the spirit of fastball special, but I guess it work more in the style of Fury's Avengers Assemble. So...

random examples
Thor and Cap could fire off a hammer/shield combo
Iceman/Torch 'Ice & Fire' attach
any 3 of the Fantastic 4 call the other one for a team combo
Daredevil/Elektra fire off 'Hell's Kitchen'
and countless others

This would be hard to trigger but be a bit more spectacular, not necessarily WHALES! levels for damage for all these combos, but perhaps helping out in more interesting ways (resurrection for scarlet witch and vision for example, some lower level ones could simply add some strike tiles). In my mind you'd be looking at each character having to reach 15-20 of their strongest colour to allow the trigger.

I'd also like the pairs NOT to be announced, so that little novelty moves could be discovered by the player base as we go along.

These could also be slightly weighted so that those characters who are already arguably overpowered don't get massive boosts. Hide them throughout the star levels.

BENEFITS:

Novelty of some interesting animations
For those into speed and not into animation, these powers would be more expensive and probably wouldn't affect your game too much
Potential for more lineup variation as people discover new powers
an interesting way to speed up battles if they start to really drag thanks to some bad boards / defence tiles

Thoughts? Could this be a way of mixing up the gameplay dynamics? What combinations would you like to see?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually think they are mulling this one over. Remember, one of Reeds abilities triggers when other members of the F4 are with him, so the linking of chars and triggers with pairing are in the code now!
  • very true,

I think it would add some extra depth to the gameplay, which, let's face it, can get stale if you play too much!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Welcome to your first upvote OP. I am OneLastGambit and I approve this suggestion.
  • Welcome to your first upvote OP. I am OneLastGambit and I approve this suggestion.

woo!
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    If this system is implemented, I really hope it incorporates Team-Up tiles.

My team-ups are nearly always full because I'm a hoarder, and TU tiles are a nuisance much of the time (relatively low damage, not selectable for many board-altering abilities). This could make me more inclined to actually collect them.

Also, this could get REALLY draconian, but it would be interesting (or at least, it would add to the game's necessary reliance on scarcity, probability, and collection) if a given pair's combination ability was made accessible by collecting the [previously unimplemented] cover of a comic in which the characters actually did team up (or at least were both featured, since a lot of hero/villain combinations would be precluded otherwise). This would provide an excuse to introduce another type of collectible, although it could get tricky in considering which variations of a character would be eligible.