Earning Command Points with IAPs - a concern

2»

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    On the other hand, the game is now certifiably pay to win. So I guess that's a thing.

To win what though? With bracketing and slices, there are plenty of people 'winning' PvP right now that aren't anywhere near whale status.

Yeah, you're not finishing in first if you're locked in with these guys, but you weren't now either without spending significant money to shield.

Biggest thing is they become invincible...which if you've watched super-high end PvP lately, will end up helping people score more.
    I'm going to chime in with my $0.02 here. I know I've been absent from the forums for a while as an active contributor, but real life is really busy and I barely have time to mod let alone contribute.

So here's the thing. The guys that have spent big money to get maxed out 5* aren't really winning anything. I play in a slice with one of them. I don't think he's taken first yet. As far as I know, the other players that have done the same aren't winning their brackets consistently either. Could they? Sure. But they're not.

Think about that for a bit.

Easily explainable. Getting first isn't the goal. Getting first in a PvP yields an unnecessary 4* cover. If you have a max Silver Surfer, and max 4* roster, why bother? The reason to win isn't there yet. If the top spot yielded an Old Man or a Phoenix, they'd have more reason to shoot all of us fish as we swim around in this barrel.
  • I saw this option over the weekend and wanted to make a post about it but I think this existing one is good enough.

From a perspective of the only whale in the clan as well as the only one who even spends money at all I don't really care if people are mooching off my purchases.

My issue lies more with what I spend on this game is my business and I don't feel like having that advertised to the group every time I decide to make a purchase.

Would be nice if there was an option to disable this, however it is keeping me from spending money which I don't mind either.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    My issue lies more with what I spend on this game is my business and I don't feel like having that advertised to the group every time I decide to make a purchase.
    But if you didn't advertise that you were the only one in your alliance spending, they'd never have known it was you...
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I saw this option over the weekend and wanted to make a post about it but I think this existing one is good enough.

From a perspective of the only whale in the clan as well as the only one who even spends money at all I don't really care if people are mooching off my purchases.

Would be nice if there was an option to disable this, however it is keeping me from spending money which I don't mind either.

The bonuses come in anonymously. I've gotten 30 CP or so from my alliance since this happened. I didn't think we had many spenders on our team, but someone is buying. I don't know who it is and I don't really care; I just say thanks to whoever earned the points and move on.
  • And it seems that IAP seems be generating quite a few Command Points for people. So, my concern is that the devs will see all Command Points being earned and dial it back, hindering the rest of us.
  • I really hate to be cynical, but they found another new way to open up wallets. It's not going to change.
  • simonsez wrote:
    But if you didn't advertise that you were the only one in your alliance spending, they'd never have known it was you...

I don't.
    The bonuses come in anonymously. I've gotten 30 CP or so from my alliance since this happened. I didn't think we had many spenders on our team, but someone is buying. I don't know who it is and I don't really care; I just say thanks to whoever earned the points and move on.

Oh interesting, thanks for this info!
  • cosm0naut wrote:
    I really hate to be cynical, but they found another new way to open up wallets. It's not going to change.

I remember something along the lines of a Extra Credits video about how to make buying microtransactions fun to do. And the specific example they mentioned was "This one MMORPG has an item that you buy that explodes into a ton of items that the person who bought it can't pick up, but everyone around them can. This turns things into a bit of a party, as people see it and want to get their owns and the person who bought it is rewarded with praise and thanks for doing so."

And I kinda feel like D3 saw it and go "hey we can sorta do that" and then they did. And now everybody feels good about somebody in their alliance whaling out some stuff.
  • Polares wrote:
    So if you are in a 'whale' alliance where everyone buys a stark every month then you get 140 CPs every month !

If they buy two, they will get 280!

So every 3 months they get one 5 cover, or they buy 33 tokens (so they have good chances of getting two 5 covers and A LOT of 4s).

I think we should be worried...

The idea of CPs is great, but I think they should not be buyable.

This is a "free" to play game. So they have to think of ways to help users be inclined to make purchases. If I had it all over again I wish I would have saved all my purchases till now... since mine before didn't give me CP lol.

I think it's a great idea how they did it, and now "whale" alliances will feel they are getting something for their money, as opposed to getting close to nothing for their purchases.