True PVP mode

Is it possible? I mean, has it ever been considered or discussed something like a true pvp game?

Something like a lobby for players to connect to each other and have a true online pvp game, that would be a major change on gameplay and challenge!

Mod Note: moved to suggestions

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Far too many problems all related to connection.

What if player disconnects due to no mobile data/poor signal?

How do you play without lag on a live server?

What if a player does not make a move?

All issues which console owners experience today on a medium which has been around and worked on far more extensively. If they can't get it right I really can't see how this can be done on a mobile format. Perhaps steam and console versions could have it but iOS and Android users I would wager not.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    ferig wrote:
    Is it possible? I mean, has it ever been considered or discussed something like a true pvp game?

Something like a lobby for players to connect to each other and have a true online pvp game, that would be a major change on gameplay and challenge!

True PVP would be if you found another player, met outside after class , and went at it in the schoolyard.

Joking aside, i cannot wait for the XBox One release of MPQ to try out the PVP.
    1. What if player disconnects due to no mobile data/poor signal?

2. How do you play without lag on a live server?

3. What if a player does not make a move?

1. Timer, no move, or disconnected (retreated) - auto-win
    2. Have no problems with Diablo 3, so there has to be a way
    3. Timer, no move, you lose.

Mod Note: Moving to Suggestions on 11/04
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    You could potentially have true PvP if you went in the other direction and had the computer play both sides. It might go something like this:

1) Player A issues a challenge to Player B, and picks one character, which is visible in the challenge. Player A picks the amount of the wager, probably from a fixed list of choices. (ISO only, probably, although HP might be an option).
    2) Player B can choose to accept the challenge. If so, they pick two characters, visible to player A.
    3) Player A then picks their other two characters.
    4) Player B picks their third character, and the match starts. Player B goes first.
    5) The players don't have to be online at the same time. They each get a notification when the match is finished, and they can hit a button to watch the playback of the whole match. These are stored for only a limited time; after that you only get the end result, not the full playback.
    6) Any teamups used in the matches are not expended.
    7) The winner of the match collects the winnings from the loser. (Maybe this is weighted by the relative strengths of the two teams.)
    8) Maybe the loser gets a consolation prize - a team-up, or a boost.
    9) Optionally, a "Ha-Ha" message is posted to the alliance chats of both the winner and the loser.
    10) The W-L goes on both players' permanent records.

Obviously there's no playing skill involved here, and there's a lot of luck. The only real skill comes with looking at your opponent's roster and trying to pick characters that work well against the team they're fielding, as the opponent's team is partially revealed.
  • Obviously there's no playing skill involved here, and there's a lot of luck. The only real skill comes with looking at your opponent's roster and trying to pick characters that work well against the team they're fielding, as the opponent's team is partially revealed.
    It's like Texas Hold 'Em MPQ! Make sure you wear sunglasses and a hood so opponents can't read your tells.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Try stun locking your opponent with couch verses on XBOX...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could potentially have true PvP if you went in the other direction and had the computer play both sides. It might go something like this:

1) Player A issues a challenge to Player B, and picks one character, which is visible in the challenge. Player A picks the amount of the wager, probably from a fixed list of choices. (ISO only, probably, although HP might be an option).
    2) Player B can choose to accept the challenge. If so, they pick two characters, visible to player A.
    3) Player A then picks their other two characters.
    4) Player B picks their third character, and the match starts. Player B goes first.
    5) The players don't have to be online at the same time. They each get a notification when the match is finished, and they can hit a button to watch the playback of the whole match. These are stored for only a limited time; after that you only get the end result, not the full playback.
    6) Any teamups used in the matches are not expended.
    7) The winner of the match collects the winnings from the loser. (Maybe this is weighted by the relative strengths of the two teams.)
    8) Maybe the loser gets a consolation prize - a team-up, or a boost.
    9) Optionally, a "Ha-Ha" message is posted to the alliance chats of both the winner and the loser.
    10) The W-L goes on both players' permanent records.

Obviously there's no playing skill involved here, and there's a lot of luck. The only real skill comes with looking at your opponent's roster and trying to pick characters that work well against the team they're fielding, as the opponent's team is partially revealed.

Both contestants then move to the forum to create AI cheats threads.
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Or even scarier: Old school Chess style (new school words with friends style). Turn>wait>turn>wait..... (2 weeks later) I can win in 2 moves>Opponent never returns.
  • Another Forum classic. Quick, someone post a link to the last "real PVP" thread!

I´m new to the forum so sorry if this has already been discussed.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    ferig wrote:

True PVP would be if you found another player, met outside after class , and went at it in the schoolyard.

Joking aside, i cannot wait for the XBox One release of MPQ to try out the PVP.
    1. What if player disconnects due to no mobile data/poor signal?

2. How do you play without lag on a live server?

3. What if a player does not make a move?

1. Timer, no move, or disconnected (retreated) - auto-win
    2. Have no problems with Diablo 3, so there has to be a way
    3. Timer, no move, you lose.

Mod Note: Moving to Suggestions on 11/04

So if you have bad service you get punished with a defeat? Doesn't seem fair to me especially when cell coverage can be very patchy in some places. Here the UK cell service can differ from one mile to the next so it would mean that I would never play true PVP in case my service drops and I auto-lose for something that wasn't my fault.

I suppose it would streamline PVP for the people that can play though. It'd be fine in WiFi so perhaps the answer is that true PVP could only be played when connected to WiFi or alternatively if one player disconnects then both are returned to the lobby with no punishment or reward for either. That supports the people who are being forced to disconnect by technical issues - but also does not punish the ones which do it on purpose, but hey in my opinion it's better to be positive and support than it is to be negative and punish.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I would like is a Lightning round version of true PvP. Don't change current format, but have a small window of time where players can play against each other. Set a timer, for moves, like 10 seconds or something and compete for a prize. There's no points to lose unless you lose to the player. This would be a great replacement to the lightning rounds.