How does PvE calculate the opposition level?

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'll start by saying that I do understand (or at least I think I do) that your opponents starting level is determined by the makeup of your roster after the appropriate buffs are applied, and then your performance through the event effects the scaling of the same.

So, I'm in the middle of the first Heroic sub and am facing Ares and his two little H.A.M.M.E.R Kitties.

My first run of the node they were sat at level 145 each, I cleared this and they jumped up a little to 150. Fair enough that is to be expected.

Second run through with them sat at 150 I wipe twice on the bounce (damn them spies and their silent strikes). I opened the node for a third hit at them and now there all level 162. Did I loose so spectacularly in the two wipes to justify the 8% level jump?

I played no other nodes before or after each wipe so there should be no other factors to consider.

What would have caused this increase in level, am I missing something?

Also, just for clarification while were on the subject, does past performance in previous PvE's effect the level of the next PvE?

Mod Edit: Thread will be moved to Statistics and Theories on 11/04

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Looks like global scaling has been turned on. that's why the levels continue to rise. Darn. icon_e_sad.gif

Not sure if past performance affects scaling in pve. It does affect MMR (or it did at least).

The way I understood pve scaling is that a typical sub has 9 nodes split between 3 trivial, 3 essentials, 3 normals. The trivials are set around 40-60% of your highest level character, factoring in buffs. Essentials are around 60-80%. Normals are around 80-120+. Give or take something.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suppose a better question is - How does scaling actually work now?

Can a mod/vet jump in and help out here?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Looks like global scaling has been turned on. that's why the levels continue to rise. Darn. icon_e_sad.gif.
    Seems plausible, apparently community scaling has be manually disabled, this the first time Dark Avengers: Heroic has been run since they got rid of it
  • Wooodd
    Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    fmftint wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Looks like global scaling has been turned on. that's why the levels continue to rise. Darn. icon_e_sad.gif.
    Seems plausible, apparently community scaling has be manually disabled, this the first time Dark Avengers: Heroic has been run since they got rid of it
    Thanks for the input.

I've not been around long enough to feel the impact of community scaling (day 107 here), or if I was I was too green to recognise it.

The preset percentages you mentioned do make sense Puppychow, however I have noticed an increase in the climb from winning nodes lately. During unstable Iso I managed to get the 48hr sub nodes over 200! and I'm sure that they also started at around 145. Do we think that this could have been a result of community scaling also, or (and more likely) the grinding of every node down to a tiny little stub to try and hit T20 (to then get 23rd icon_e_sad.gif , man new release PvE's are rough).

Considering I have 1 character at 127 and the rest 104 or lower this seemed high to me. It was the first time 1 toppled 200 other than during the Gauntlet (and my top 3 characters have been the same level for around 5 weeks now).
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

I've not been around long enough to feel the impact of community scaling (day 107 here), or if I was I was too green to recognise it.

The preset percentages you mentioned do make sense Puppychow, however I have noticed an increase in the climb from winning nodes lately. During unstable Iso I managed to get the 48hr sub nodes over 200! and I'm sure that they also started at around 145. Do we think that this could have been a result of community scaling also, or (and more likely) the grinding of every node down to a tiny little stub to try and hit T20 (to then get 23rd icon_e_sad.gif , man new release PvE's are rough).

Considering I have 1 character at 127 and the rest 104 or lower this seemed high to me. It was the first time 1 toppled 200 other than during the Gauntlet (and my top 3 characters have been the same level for around 5 weeks now).

Personal scaling felt pretty high to me on Iso-8 as well - hard nodes in the last sub went from 200 to 395 and essentials from 140+ to 294? for my 155-capped roster, but I expect a large part of it was my grinding the nodes down to 1 to claw my way into t10. Haven't had to do it in a while with the break in releases and then the last two new characters being from the Galactus event. I forget how nasty pve can get when you're playing competitively.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    one possible alternative explanation is server lag. like pvp queues, it is possible that you had beaten nodes before your wipes that warranted increased scaling across the board for you but had not kicked in due to server lag. the update could possibly have hit between your tries #2 and #3. I truly hope community scaling has not returned. that would really blow chunks.