PvE Design Flaw

Druss
Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
My son & I are both currently in the same alliance.

I'm on day 606 with a full Roster (108) including every maxed 1,2 & 3* characters. I would be classed as a 4* transitioner if there were such a thing!

My son is on day 50 ish & has 6 main 2* maxed + a 3* daken @ Lv 104 (his highest character).

In the unstable iso event my son scored 29,285 having been unable to play for 2 days due to real life commitments - his average time for a complete node clear was about 20mins & he finished 19th overall = 2 x new 4* shiny.

In the same event I scored 62,063 having only missed 1 clear & doing most nodes down to the 100 odd mark. My average clear time was closer to 40 mins (Lv 300 Bullseye urgh!) & finally finished 82nd overall = 1 x new 4* shiny.

So in summary, despite having invested an extra 18 months into the game, spending more than 5 times the amount of time on the actual event, Battling armies 3 times higher level, I get less reward than my son? Who is the new 4* going to benefit more?

This makes no sense!

Comments

• rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Noob bracket vs Vet Bracket.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought all parents wanted their kids to have things better than they had them...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Druss wrote:
    My son & I are both currently in the same alliance.

I'm on day 606 with a full Roster (108) including every maxed 1,2 & 3* characters. I would be classed as a 4* transitioner if there were such a thing!

My son is on day 50 ish & has 6 main 2* maxed + a 3* daken @ Lv 104 (his highest character).

In the unstable iso event my son scored 29,285 having been unable to play for 2 days due to real life commitments - his average time for a complete node clear was about 20mins & he finished 19th overall = 2 x new 4* shiny.

In the same event I scored 62,063 having only missed 1 clear & doing most nodes down to the 100 odd mark. My average clear time was closer to 40 mins (Lv 300 Bullseye urgh!) & finally finished 82nd overall = 1 x new 4* shiny.

So in summary, despite having invested an extra 18 months into the game, spending more than 5 times the amount of time on the actual event, Battling armies 3 times higher level, I get less reward than my son? Who is the new 4* going to benefit more?

This makes no sense!

It is all about who is in the bracket with you. Your son sounds like he was in a noob bracket, where most of the people are newly in the game, and i would be surprised if 25% of his bracket even did a full clear of any sub at all.. i experience this on my tablet account quite a bit.

Whereas you, like myself, sound like a competitive player, and get your leg tokens every event, and are put in with others who do the same, making it a monster of a competition for those top spots.

As for who will it benefit more? the honest answer is the noob, who now has the essential required for the next event, and has a much better shot at multiple 3* covers to work on the 3* transition in the next event, not to mention the iso and HP gained from the high placement to help with roster spots and leveling 3*s as they are gained.

The 4* transitioners, can get another cover at 1k in the PVP event, have many half to fully covered 4*s and don't want to spend 1k HP on another roster slot (but we will), and probably don't have any need for the 3* in the next event.. so having the essential is nowhere near as important.
  • Sure winds up being important though when that essential is needed for a Gauntlet, or a Galactus event. Just saying.
  • roderic1
    roderic1 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    I get what you're saying. Someone who is new to the game or not even in the 3* range yet doesn't need 4*'s yet. But, given that they post those articles on Marvel.com and such introducing new characters, new players expect the chance to compete for those things.

What if (not likely) vet brackets were all worth 1 more 4* cover for new releases like this? So the existing structure remained the same but each placement tier (including the one that currently would be losing out on the 4* completely) would get an additional cover.

I often compare this game against Guardian Cross, which I played for about a year before giving up on it. I recall that one thing they did well was differentiating between events intended for vets vs noobs. The rewards were inline with which event you joined. A vet could join a noob bracket if they wanted, but they weren't going to be getting the best rewards because the rewards weren't set up the same.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    This isn't unique to PvE, or is it even the only problem.

Players with a lower score than your son will late join the event and finish top 10.
    Players will win PvP brackets with 800 while scoring 1300 can't crack top 25 in others.

This is the nature of tying rewards to a bracket system.