New event ideas.

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Let's try and brainstorm some more creative event ideas here, I personally love collaborating with a team to earn something, the global point event thing was okay, but you never felt your own impact at it.

I suggest something like bundling 10 or so players in a team to compete against another team (probably need to make sure both teams are balanced) and have them fight each other out for points or some other form of rank, in order to have a higher standing by the end of the day, each day the results would set and the prizes distributed to both sides and then another team is formed, and so on.

What other suggestions do you guys have? I really think this game needs a lot more diversity in its events rather than tourneys and Grid map PVE events

Comments

• How bout human v human vs mode. This could include a challenge mode where you limit the characters you each could use, could also include wagering iso. Of course this would take a great deal of additional programing and server support, so I doubt we'll ever see anything like it.

I think it might be funny to have an everyone buffed tournament, though I guess that'd largely the same as no holds barred.

I'd like to see an only face those people in your bracket tournament.

All I got for now, have to cuddle the old ball n chain.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. A elimination style PvP tournament - not really sure exactly how to present this; if losing knocks you out of the tourney, how does the fight queue get populated. Anyway, it's somewhat inspired by the Elite tournaments, where #1 gets a grand prize and then it kind of trickles down from there.

2. Run two concurrent PvE events, players can join only one. Good guys vs. Bad guys. I guess it could still end up being a variation on the Global Points Rush format. The first day's sub is just mooks. If whichever team wins most points on day 1 is presented with a tougher challenge on day 2 - this time selected heroes from the opposing "team" with appropriate mooks as support (so if bad guys win on points, the next day they have to fight Captain America + 2x Shield Agents for example). This pattern continues - in theory, the opposite team should win more points on the alternating day, since they get "easier" fights. Maybe the story is both teams are trying to recruit a hero to their side, so whichever team wins at the end of the day determines whether they add a Avengers version or Dark version of the hero to the game.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Fix MMR so newbie teams aren't winning brackets...

Then give them their own tournaments, entry eligibility based on daily rewards, less than 14 and you're in. (Obviously run them concurrently with the tournaments we have now, don't remove anything)

This way you can tailor the rewards so they're enticing to someone that new to the game...I'm sure these players would rather have 3 OBW's and a patch than an invisible woman and 3 dare devils
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spencer75 wrote:

Then give them their own tournaments, entry eligibility based on daily rewards, less than 14 and you're in. (Obviously run them concurrently with the tournaments we have now, don't remove anything)

This way you can tailor the rewards so they're enticing to someone that new to the game...I'm sure these players would rather have 3 OBW's and a patch than an invisible woman and 3 dare devils

+1
  • Survival mode - pick one team and get as far as you can. No swapping and health losses carry over. Can be a prog3ssion award type but I know those with spidey will have a great advantage so some roster limits may be in order.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Spencer75 wrote:

Congrats on the Blind Justice win. I had you queued up at the end, but I didn't have enough time for the match.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    Spencer75 wrote:

+1

icon_rolleyes.gif

Another group of people who would rather blame D3 instead of their only lack of ingame knowledge...

Created Brackets are not based on difficulty. They are created with the goal of giving all participants the same general amount of time to play in the tourney.
    Example: People who join a tourney late are bracketed with other late joiners...early players are bracketed with other early players....as soon as a bracket fills a new one is created.

Your opponents in actual games are NOT from your bracket but instead of other players who share a simular MMR (matchmaker ranking system) score to you. IE newbies with 1* lv30 teams are group against simular opponents. Additionally to my knowledge it is no longer possible to tank your rating to get your high lv team back to fighting the lower level players.

Why this is a good way of doing things: You are able to let all difficulties mesh together to keep brackets filled and yet keep them separate so lv141s don't steamroll everything while also not having a bunch of half filled brackets awaiting people of "the right difficulty" to join. It also heavily fights against the "rich keep getting richer" possibility.
  • I wonder how a Domination style map would work in PVP. Break participants into teams and fight for control of the node. Rewards are based on overall team points (winning team gets ISO), individual contribution within the team (your typical reward structure), and progression rewards. Maybe even a "per node" reward system, such as what you'd find in PVE. Or, given that you're going to be fighting a lot within a node, perhaps have "progression rewards" within a node, based on the number of wins in that node.

The theme could be something like Marvel's Civil War, where the different factions are battling in various nodes across the US or across the world. The nodes show up, teams fight to control them for X amount of time, then a new node pops up and perhaps the old ones go away.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    1. A elimination style PvP tournament - not really sure exactly how to present this; if losing knocks you out of the tourney, how does the fight queue get populated. Anyway, it's somewhat inspired by the Elite tournaments, where #1 gets a grand prize and then it kind of trickles down from there.

I don't think you could do elimitation PvP, but elimination PvE could work. Every 24 hours put up 3 fights that you have to win to stay in, one attempt per fight only. Possibly ban spidey and magneto to keep the fights nasty.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    I was just about to start a thread on this! Anyway, here's some PvP ideas; some in jest, some serious. As for new types of tourneys, I've got nothing but like some of the ones so far.

RADIOACTIVE – Fight it out to decide the most powerful victim of Stan Lee’s 1950’s-era fear of radiation!
    Buffed: Spider-man, Daredevil, and Hulk.

X-FACTOR – Mutants only: throwing a bone to the few suckers who blew Iso on Juggernaut and Daken.
    Exclusive to: All three Wolverines, both Storms, both Magnetos, Jugs and Daken.

DARK AVENGERS – They’ve done this before I think, but not since they gave everyone 20+ Ares covers. Everyone having him at level 85 should help competitive balance…right?
    Exclusive to: Ares, Venom, Daken, Moonstone, Bullseye, and Ragnorak. (Yelena Belova was not part of the Dark Avengers. She ran the Thunderbolts while Osborn was Iron Patriot. Speaking of, any day now! Also, Sentry at some point.)

USED TO BE COOL – Continuing the trend of requiring recently nerfed characters in tourneys.
    Buffed: Thor, Wolverine, and Ragnorak (Spider-man, after the nerf).

THE REPLACEMENTS – Funny how Hulk, Punisher and Ares and introduced right before nerfing characters with similar power sets…
    Buffed: Ares, Punisher, and Hulk (Daredevil, after the Spider-man nerf)

I DARE YOU – Let’s see who’s dumb enough to spend Iso/money leveling up characters that have absolutely no value!
    Required: Modern Black Widow, Classic Hawkeye, Yelena Belova, Bag-Man.