Can we please fix the rule about abilities triggering?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
On the first turn specifically. I know it's been discussed a lot but I've yet to understand this.

Why on my first turn do none of my abilities trigger, like Thirst or Unbreakable or what have you, yet the enemies first turn they do for them? It's quite an imbalance if Thirs triggers for the enemy and they make a red match which drops the red count so I don't get anything when it's my turn...for example.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Short answer? Balance.

Human player always goes first. That means the human player has first crack at a match-5, cascade, etc. The balance to that is that the AI gets to trigger passive abilities on their first turn.

Now, that doesn't mean the first two turns always work "fairly." Sometimes your opening board is kinda **** and then they get to trigger a decent passive right away. Sometimes you blow the doors off with your first move and the passive is a weak response by contrast.

But it's likely about balance.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'd agree with the balance theory. It feels a little bit like MtG, where the player who goes first doesn't get to draw a card.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Short answer? Balance.

Human player always goes first. That means the human player has first crack at a match-5, cascade, etc. The balance to that is that the AI gets to trigger passive abilities on their first turn.

Now, that doesn't mean the first two turns always work "fairly." Sometimes your opening board is kinda tinykitty and then they get to trigger a decent passive right away. Sometimes you blow the doors off with your first move and the passive is a weak response by contrast.

But it's likely about balance.

I don't think we've ever had a developer's response to this, we've just speculated, and balance seems a reasonable explanation. Another more cynical explanation would be that it's not intentional, it's just that the code doesn't support triggering things like Unbreakable after the board is displayed but before the player can make his (or her) first move.

I just wish the text reflected what really happens: "At the beginning of every turn (except the player's first), if there are no friendly etc.".
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    If your passive abilities go off on the first turn, that means you get them on the board before player 2 has a chance to go and before their passives can spawn. You get to hit them before their passives once, they get to hit you once.

It would also be "equal" if both players passives triggered before the first round. Triggering at the beginning of the round and having it trigger on player 1's turn though is a definite disadvantage (not counting the other disadvantages to going 2nd).
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    On the first turn specifically. I know it's been discussed a lot but I've yet to understand this.

Why on my first turn do none of my abilities trigger, like Thirst or Unbreakable or what have you, yet the enemies first turn they do for them? It's quite an imbalance if Thirs triggers for the enemy and they make a red match which drops the red count so I don't get anything when it's my turn...for example.
    Maybe the AI should go first half the time as well? For balance, you know icon_e_wink.gif
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    You've posted feedback about a game feature. Please expect that this topic will be moved by a mod to the Suggestions Forum shortly. No players will look there or respond any more, but rest assured the developers have a steadfast policy of reading everything there, but replying to absolutely nothing. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    You've posted feedback about a game feature. Please expect that this topic will be moved by a mod to the Suggestions Forum shortly. No players will look there or respond any more, but rest assured the developers have a steadfast policy of reading everything there, but replying to absolutely nothing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wrong on every try so far, thanks for playing.

Moved to Bugs and Technical Issues, this is a known issue (see SW, IF, LC, etc)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Moved to Bugs and Technical Issues, this is a known issue (see SW, IF, LC, etc)

Huh...so it IS considered a bug?
    I wonder what the solution will be. Whether they stop the enemy AI from getting a passive on their first turn or allow us to have one on ours, I don't mind either way.

Sorry for putting this in the wrong place, btw. Just figured it would get more attention in General =P