Any way to get out of MMR nightmare?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
So I'm a casual/dailyish player with a top char in the 70s with most everybody else in the 60s.

My question is, in all PVP tourneys and LR, all I see are 100+ enemies. Not going to lie, it's actually putting me off the game. My 70 is a 3/5/5 spidey, so I can win, but it takes me forever with stunlock and really isn't too fun.

Is there anyway to actually fight guys my own level or is winning those 10 minute matches putting me higher in ratting???

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Get your point total up to a respectable amount (~300 points for normal tourneys, 100 for LRs), and then win a match with the weakest team you can field. The best way of doing this is joining right at the beginning of a tournament so that you get seed teams (haiguyzdoom, etc.), save a seed team for when you want to start tanking, and then beat the seed team with your **** team. You should get attacked a lot, and have your MMR plummet.
  • Level 100 3 star guys have about the same HP as level 85 2 star guys of the same classification (e.g. Thor is a tank, so is IM40). If it's taking you a while to go through the level 100 3* guys, it'd still take a while to go through the level 85 2* guys, especially if they're Thor. If you're talking about facing a level 100 IM40, it seems like everyone and their brother has him at at least level 100 so it's rather inconvenient for this tournament. When the featured hero is Hulk or IM40, expect all the games to take a while to finish.
  • Get your point total up to a respectable amount (~300 points for normal tourneys, 100 for LRs), and then win a match with the weakest team you can field. The best way of doing this is joining right at the beginning of a tournament so that you get seed teams (haiguyzdoom, etc.), save a seed team for when you want to start tanking, and then beat the seed team with your **** team. You should get attacked a lot, and have your MMR plummet.

I had been wondering how this worked! OK I get what you said, but how long does your MMR stay at the lower amount? Surely as soon as you come back and switch back to your winning team again it will quickly be back up where it was, how easy is it to get back the points you lost through being attacked and then to push on up the rankings?
  • The PACman wrote:
    I had been wondering how this worked! OK I get what you said, but how long does your MMR stay at the lower amount? Surely as soon as you come back and switch back to your winning team again it will quickly be back up where it was, how easy is it to get back the points you lost through being attacked and then to push on up the rankings?

Typically tanking is to lower your MMR for future tournaments. If you try to compete in the same tournament again it'll almost certainly shoot back up again.
  • Ok i see, so the basic idea is to get in, win a few then tank and wait for the next tournament? I assume after that you continue to alternate from tanking a tourney to playing properly?
  • First off, you will never be able to tank your MMR effectively in Lightning Rounds. (too short and matchmaking is effectively wide open)

In PvP Bracketed you can do some minor movement, but it is absolutely impossible to completely tank it like previously. (IE you will never end up in the noobie lv30 1* bracket no matter how hard you try)
  • I have been tanking in the Double Shot tournament like CRAZY and it's helped bring down my MMR to a manageable level. I started with facing MANY all 141 teams, but now i'm down to around level 95 average

What i do is build up my rating to 300-400, then put a somewhat weaker team out. I then get hit many times, but my loss is only about 7-12 points per match. When I hit 250 rating, I build back up to 300-400 with only a few matches.

Tanking in LR seems not to work as well, I do maybe 4-7 attacks to get the 100 point award, but then I am usually only attacked at a max 7 times.
  • The other benefit of tanking (in addition to seeing weaker enemies) is you get seen by weaker enemies. Most of them will skip you and occasionally they'll even lose to you giving you free points. MMR tends to take longer to reset than tournament points, so a good tanking run will get you a full tournament or even 2 of decent opponents.
  • SirKopath wrote:
    I have been tanking in the Double Shot tournament like CRAZY and it's helped bring down my MMR to a manageable level. I started with facing MANY all 141 teams, but now i'm down to around level 95 average

What i do is build up my rating to 300-400, then put a somewhat weaker team out. I then get hit many times, but my loss is only about 7-12 points per match. When I hit 250 rating, I build back up to 300-400 with only a few matches.

Tanking in LR seems not to work as well, I do maybe 4-7 attacks to get the 100 point award, but then I am usually only attacked at a max 7 times.

Do you have to win with the weaker team? NorthernPolarity mentioned that you need to win with a weak team but I was wondering how can a weak team win...?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wuming79 wrote:
    SirKopath wrote:
    I have been tanking in the Double Shot tournament like CRAZY and it's helped bring down my MMR to a manageable level. I started with facing MANY all 141 teams, but now i'm down to around level 95 average

Do you have to win with the weaker team? NorthernPolarity mentioned that you need to win with a weak team but I was wondering how can a weak team win...?

Best way to do this is to save a weak team from the start of the tournament to fight. Ideally, you join right at the start of the tournament and save a seed team that you can beat on later on in the tournament when you want to tank.
  • wuming79 wrote:
    SirKopath wrote:

Normally i'll save a team that i know i can beat, one with a sub level 50 boosted character. I preferably save the team in the City slot.

i'll switch to the boosted lvl 15 IM 40. Then i'll use a strong damage character (Patch/punisher/ares in my case) and Modern Black Widow. I'll boost +3 Purple/blue, and maybe a damage boost.

I can beat most sub-par teams with that set up.

Sometimes there's no weaker teams to attack though. If that's the case i'll use Patch/85 OBW/ 15 IM40 to beat a team with boosts.

Just having a non-maxed boosted character on your team makes you an attractive target.
  • Same here, my go to tank team nowadays is the gifted, buffed character, 2/4/5 level 15 Patch and 5/5 level 1 Modern Widow.

If that doesn't work I'll throw in a max level Modern Storm and a mid-level Classic Hawkeye.
  • Question, if I change to a weak team in pvp and then go to pave and play with another team, does this tanking method still work?
  • wuming79 wrote:
    Question, if I change to a weak team in pvp and then go to pave and play with another team, does this tanking method still work?

Your defense roster is different for each tourney. So you can have your tanking roster in one and still be playing another.

The MMR is global though.