How a 3 star player bungled into 1000 pts. in PVP

Unknown
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
First thanks to the forum in general for the help. I want to give extra thanks to aethocyst, Malcrof, and TxMoose for sharing their experiences in their own posts/threads about hitting 1000 and above.

I also apologize if I messed up anybody’s shield hop.

I wanted to try hitting 1000 in the Bullseye event because I needed the Bullseye, and Kingpin covers. I hope 1000+ will be enough to get the Blade ranking cover. My 3 star roster is nothing special. I don’t have any maxed yet. I do however have most of the heavy hitters at 140 and above. For example, I have Cyclops and Kamala maxed covered but only at 149.

I entered slice 5 which ends 3AM EST, unfortunately it turned out to be pretty points dry. I started on the first day and pretty much went up and down until the second day. I was tired and used a 3hr shield at 683. Here is a breakdown:

683 – 3hr shield until 11PM (it was too much retaliations back and forth, fought 2 matches before bed)
725 – 8hr shield until 7AM (hit 2 more matches before work)
803 – 3hr shield until 9:45AM (hit 2 more matches between meetings)
907 – 24hr shield until 2:15PM (hit 2 more matches on late lunch break)
971 - 8hr shield until 4:49PM (barely beat my first fistbuster!!! with Cap + Cyc)
1046 - 3hr shield until 7:46PM (had to superwhale + boosts with Switch and Deadpool vs max !!! Red hulk + Hulkbuster)
24hr shield until 3AM

In hindsight it was lot more HP than I thought but 1125 is still better than 2500 outright for a 4 star. It felt very exhausting managing my work and the shield hopping but it was nice to know that it can be done without a max 166 roster.

My suggestions would be to only go for the events where you really want the covers so that you have a lot of mental incentive. I really, really wanted a Kingpin so it was worth it for me. I also hope Carnage turns up this season too.

Have a war chest of health packs, hero points, iso, and boosts ready.

If you have to do a lot skipping, go into the prologue after the shield hop to get a bunch of easy 20 iso.

I hope this helps somebody. I still can’t believe I finally hit 1000.

Comments

• Congrats! Feels good to make it!
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, nice job! Next time you might see if you can do one or two more matches before your first shield before you start getting hit, and you won't have to hop quite so many times.

But yay!
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Congratz on breaking 1k. It certainly isn't easy with the boosted weekly characters available (and to face on defense). Squeezing in 2 matches between meetings at work? Now THAT is dedication. icon_lol.gif
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Congrats to you!

Unfortunately now you have to wait another 5 months for Kingpin to come back up again.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well done. You've joined the club of spending $10 worth of hp on a cover instead of $20. My simultaneous congratulations and condolences.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mods, please lock this thread. It's a violation of the persistent narrative that people with 3*s can't get 4*s.
    </sarcasm>
  • simonsez wrote:
    Mods, please lock this thread. It's a violation of the persistent narrative that people with 3*s can't get 4*s.
    </sarcasm>

This thread seems to support that narrative, considering that he needed over 1000 imcoin.png in Shield Hops to get there.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    </sarcasm>

This thread seems to support that narrative, considering that he needed over 1000 imcoin.png in Shield Hops to get there.

Lack of experience is the problem. Depending if he has the boosted characters of the week and plays his cards right, a 3* player can hit 1k without shields, or with 1 3hr shield if he's feeling cautious. Any hp expenditure beyond that depends on whether he wants to keep his points.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats! As an advice, don't shield below 750 points. You'll be hit, yes, but not for many points and not that many times (in average, sometimes you get hit quite a bit, sometimes you are left alone). Playing a couple matches more to regain whatever you lost is well worth the HP you'd spend otherwise and until you are well above 800 points you can have longer hops and not be hit that much.

Similarly, if you are intending to shield often (after a match or two) try and plan ahead so your last hop will be within 8hs to go to the end of the event to avoid the ridiculously expensive 24h shield. With a bit more practice you'll get the hang of it and will be able to keep your HP expenditure under 500HP or less, which is much more sustainable in the long run.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    to me its all about 1) how high I can hover at equilibrium without getting hit a ton and 2) how efficient I can be with my big push from my hover point. with cap/cyc, my guess is your hover point was somewhere around 500 or so. my pushes are generally good for 300 pts (blade cost me a ton of health packs though). that would put you in the 800 range for first shield and from there it would be much less hp spent. congrats on making it. now just hone those skills and reduce your hp spend and you'll start seeing progress in your 4s. slow, crawling progress, but progress nonetheless. adding 3 4* covers a week adds up over time.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    2) how efficient I can be with my big push from my hover point
    Mostly this, for me. In the Blade event I lucked into queuing someone in a top alliance so I could check his points, then got lucky again later when I spotted a top 10 player unshielded and managed to queue them. Both fights netted me 70+ points late, which makes a huge difference.