Are 5* a deterrent during PVP?

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This post is mostly one of curiosity, personally speaking when finding a PVP match I skip any which contain a 5* character (which is quite a lot for me) due to my roster not being good enough for that level.

Does matching a 5* deter others?

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm certainly not about to try my luck against one. When I'm climbing there are ample 3* targets, and when I'm hopping it's very likely that in the time it takes to chew through all that life I'll eat a defensive loss.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on the number of covers.

Since there are about 5 people running a really scary 5*, it's mostly an auto-attack if someone puts up a 1-3 cover one.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fully covered, probably not, unless it's the only good target out there and I really need the points, because then I'll just superwhale it.

Anything below that is fair game, especially the ones with only 1-3 covers.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    It depends on our own roster and how many points the other team is worth. I've hit several single covered or 2 covered 5 stars in the past week or so (more in the Lightning Rounds), they are not a deterrent in that context.

If they have more than 5 covers and levelled up, I would maybe skip it. Then again, I shouldn't be matched against them yet anyway.

Exactly that. (Well not exactly, I made two small corrections icon_razz.gif).

Almost all SS and OMLs I have found in PvP are 2-3 covers at max, so the only good they do is match damage. It is almost like playing against 2s (they have more life, but less chance of doing damage with a power).

You can find one or two scary 5s when going for 1300, but most of the time is just people that got a lucky pull and don't know much about this game (most are in the 2->3 transition and think 5s are scary on themselves). Fielding a 5 with weak teams is a suicide, specially because then you are matched against stronger 4 teams.

PS: I myself field a max covered 4 team.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    My roster is a 2-3* early transition one so the prospect of being matched against someone who can cause 500 match damage whilst simultaneously having 10k health or more is definitely a deterrent to me. My best covered 3* is doom and Steve rogers both with 6 covers so for me 5* are way out of my league I do see them a lot though (yesterday saw a maxed surfer as my first match after seeds) probably due to having an OML on my roster myself (whom I don't use as 1 cover makes him fairly useless)
  • ZekeBarrett
    ZekeBarrett Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Look at their roster before engaging in a battle. I've taken on OML several times because the opponent only had one cover. Hey, if you took on Galactus, 5* characters shouldn't scare you off from a fight!
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on where I am in my climb. If I'm high enough up that people might start hitting me, a low-covered 5* is going to be a deterrent mostly in the sense that it may take a while to reduce that HP.

If I'm just starting the climb, the target is worth enough points to make it worthwhile, and it's only got 1-3 covers? Bring it on.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only run across one of the fully covered ones. that was autoskip, but all the rest have been 1-3 covers and if they're worth pts, I hit them like almost anything else. they are no deterrent until they have (just a guess) 6-8 covers and leveled? haven't seen any of those.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Depends on who the 5* is and what cover(s) they have. I ran into an OML with just one red cover, which was essentially useless. I don't mess with SS since he can't be stunned, but if he only has blue, I'll give it a shot.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use my 2 cover SS to blow through the seed teams in the Lightning rounds and then leave him up for the rest of the event. So a level 285 SS doesn't scare anyone off since I still get hit a bunch.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I wouldn't use him in PvP, but my 1/1/1 OML is a surprisingly effective character, even without having put any levels into him. Huge health, huge match damage; he heals more per turn than a maxed Patch does; his red strike tiles are comparable to Blade's; his black strike tiles are comparable to Black Panther's yellow. He's completely replaced Blade on my "clear easy PvE nodes" team.

Like people have said, I'd expect to be eaten alive with him in PvP. But a 2* player with a 1/1/1 OML would definitely feel like they'd become stronger overall, provided their matchmaking wasn't too far out of wack.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The deterrent is that they're usually not worth many points because the person using them isn't playing seriously yet.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only ever seen 1 and 2 cover 5*'s, and I almost always hit them because they are usually way less of a threat than the other 2 characters on the team. 1-blue Surfer and 1-yellow OML are my favorites.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Generally speaking the ones I've seen have one or two covers. Not a lot, really.

Though most of the ones I've ended up seeing have their level 255 Silver Surfer flanked by a loaner required and a level 94 Wolverine or Thor or something because that was their highest levelled character until they got their 5* which totally wrecked their scaling.
  • MajinDavid
    MajinDavid Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Not saying name of the individual but when I was playing red hulk event there was someone with a maxed out silver surfer 5/5/3 and an old man Logan at 5/5/2 and a maxed out red hulk sitting at 2500+ points unshielded the whole event. Either they are a big deterrent or they just won way too many battles on defense from people trying to beat them.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    so far I haven't had the (mis?)fortune of seeing a maxed 5*. Most players that field 5*s have only 1 or 2 covers and a maxed 2* as mentioned by a few people above. Those who got their scaling seriously wrecked by a "lucky" pull
    either way, any 5* below 3 covers, I'd click fight instantly, since those rarely put up a fight. Plus it gives me a pretty good feeling, trashing a high tier character icon_lol.gif even if he's not insanely overpowered