Would we have any GotG characters if no movie came out?

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I would think not, just wondering random hypotheticals though

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    They probably wouldn't have been released in such short order at least.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have SG.......

(I forget if Cage/Fist were out before inhumans announcement?)
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Cage/Fist came out pretty close to the announcement that Cage had been cast for the TV series.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    lol. Stirring the pot.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    We have SG.......

Her new comic came out at the same time. Most characters are released to coincide either with a movie (MPQ trying to capitalize on new characters hoping people will max them right away), or a new comic release (Marvel requiring them to release characters for cross promotion). That is why we got OML, as he has his new comic book. We are getting X-23 since she has her new Wolverine comic book.
  • Well, Rocket Raccoon was in Marvel vs Capcom 3, well before the GOTG movie.

So it's possible. But I don't think it'd be Rocket & Groot then. Probably just Rocket.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Rocket and/or Groot might have made the cut, as they're fan favorites, but otherwise, no.

Synergy is the main name of the game when it comes to who gets selected.
  • Mohawk storm.

Luke cage

Daken

Don't believe any of those have much of a tie in to any current movie franchise.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    We have SG.......

Her new comic came out at the same time. Most characters are released to coincide either with a movie (MPQ trying to capitalize on new characters hoping people will max them right away), or a new comic release (Marvel requiring them to release characters for cross promotion). That is why we got OML, as he has his new comic book. We are getting X-23 since she has her new Wolverine comic book.
    The artist of the current SG run is also a friend of someone at D3 or Demiurge, iirc, so that probably helped.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    So is Jessica Jones coming soon bc of upcoming Netflix series?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    We have SG.......

The artist of the current SG run is also a friend of someone at D3 or Demiurge, iirc, so that probably helped.
    I think Squirrel Girl getting her own comic book was the main deciding factor, actually. Marvel probably wanted to push it.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's more of a recent thing in regards to Daken/Mohawk Storm (but Daken is a pretty main character in Dark Reign, which is why he's in the game).

Luke Cage/Iron Fist were added along the time their TV show was announced. Squirrel Girl was released when her new comic was being published. There's only been a couple that were not (like Cyclops, Red Hulk, Silver Surfer) as of lately.

I really don't think we'd have seen GotG characters in MPQ if it wasn't for the movie, though, honestly, because, yeah, they were kinda a fan favorite within the comic book nerd fanbase, they weren't really "knowns". We definitely wouldn't have gotten multiple characters - we likely would have gotten just RR (like in UMvC3, or the combo like we did get), but no Starlord or Gamora. I don't think we'll get more, either, at least anytime soon.