How are new characters selected to join MPQ?

Hi everyone.

Not sure if this is something anyone here can answer or whether it's perhaps something only the developers know, but how do they pick the new characters that they add to the game?

Not sure why they keep adding similar characters with similar colour combos and moves.

Is there some rhyme or reason behind there choices?

Seems strange that they're adding another wolverine of some sort (X-23), when there are already 4 of him and of course there are so many characters already represented multiple times, while so many seemingly obvious ones (Gambit, Sabertooth, Rogue, just to name a few personal choices) are yet to make an appearance.

I'm not commenting on this as a complaint of any kind, I'm just curious.

Cheers

Mod EditL Changed title to reflect content, moved to General Discussion

Comments

• I can't tell you how they choose as I don't know. What I can say for sure is there are characters that are on a Do Not Use list (DNU) because of rights issues. Unfortunately, I think Gambit and Rogue are on it so we may never see them. Also, I've noticed that often times they save characters (or alternatives) for movie/series releases such as Age of Ultron (where we got 4 characters from that movie), Ant Man, or the Netflix Daredevil series (Kingpin).

Personally of like to see more Spidey villains, but I have a feeling that some of them are DNU since Sony owns his rights right now.
  • In my opinion, are some basic requirements for choosing a new character. Some of them in previous reviews the staff have said.

1 Launch of new movies, series or comics. The fans is excited about the character and spend money with HP and Iso to minimize the character.

2-Favorites of the fans. Hardly anyone will spend money on a character who does not know. So we have many Wolvies. Only I'll tell you one thing. If you have many Wolverines it is because people buy too much HP and Iso to maximize its various versions.

3- Copyright. To release some character that Marvel does not own the rights you need to pay a "rent" type for the character. There is the cost and benefit and trade-off. Would I will profit by adding the character X? Did I even paying "rent" for the character X I'll have more profit than a character I I hold the copyright? This is the most logical of many famous and beloved characters of many have not yet been launched.

4 Preference for "good guys". Have you noticed that we have many more good guys than bad guys? It is because good guys sell more. The issue is that the game turns into a training than a true battle of the comic books and end up losing much fun. Casual fans have a preference for good guys and want to demonstrate a good impression of doing nothing wrong. A tremendous idiocy.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    GunShow14 wrote:
    Seems strange that they're adding another wolverine of some sort (X-23), when there are already 4 of him and of course there are so many characters already represented multiple times, while so many seemingly obvious ones (Gambit, Sabertooth, Rogue, just to name a few personal choices) are yet to make an appearance.

Isn't Sabertooth as much 'another Wolverine' as X-23?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sain wrote:
    I can't tell you how they choose as I don't know. What I can say for sure is there are characters that are on a Do Not Use list (DNU) because of rights issues. Unfortunately, I think Gambit and Rogue are on it so we may never see them. Also, I've noticed that often times they save characters (or alternatives) for movie/series releases such as Age of Ultron (where we got 4 characters from that movie), Ant Man, or the Netflix Daredevil series (Kingpin).

Personally of like to see more Spidey villains, but I have a feeling that some of them are DNU since Sony owns his rights right now.

Spidey is now in the shared Marvel universe, he is confirmed for Civil War (after the second reboot movie was a little underwhelming and the scandal with the hack Sony did something inconceivable and got an agreement with Marvel, where Sony still has the rights and still produces the spidey movies but now he is part of the marvel shared universe and the movies will be written by Feige and co). I am convinced that we will get a new Spidey (Miles Morales) as a 4 soon.

How D3 chose new chars is a mistery, some are probably forced by Marvel (Hulk Cho, 4hor, Antman, Ultron, etc.) but we dont know how they chose the others.

x-23 is strange, she is not that popular, and doesnt have anything major in comics right now. Cyclops classic also surprised me, I thought it was going to be young cyclops (like iceman and jean), but I guess they wanted to complete X-Men #1 cover icon_razz.gif
  • Polares wrote:
    Sain wrote:
    I can't tell you how they choose as I don't know. What I can say for sure is there are characters that are on a Do Not Use list (DNU) because of rights issues. Unfortunately, I think Gambit and Rogue are on it so we may never see them. Also, I've noticed that often times they save characters (or alternatives) for movie/series releases such as Age of Ultron (where we got 4 characters from that movie), Ant Man, or the Netflix Daredevil series (Kingpin).

Spidey is now in the shared Marvel universe, he is confirmed for Civil War (after the second reboot movie was a little underwhelming and the scandal with the hack Sony did something inconceivable and got an agreement with Marvel, where Sony still has the rights and still produces the spidey movies but now he is part of the marvel shared universe and the movies will be written by Feige and co). I am convinced that we will get a new Spidey (Miles Morales) as a 4 soon.

How D3 chose new chars is a mistery, some are probably forced by Marvel (Hulk Cho, 4hor, Antman, Ultron, etc.) but we dont know how they chose the others.

x-23 is strange, she is not that popular, and doesnt have anything major in comics right now. Cyclops classic also surprised me, I thought it was going to be young cyclops (like iceman and jean), but I guess they wanted to complete X-Men #1 cover icon_razz.gif

The answer to these characters is easy.

Hulk Cho: Beginning in December 2015, Cho will be headlining the new Totally Awesome Hulk series.

4Thor: Release in comics and attract a female audience. For me it is the Thor's sister.

Antman: Premiere of the film in theaters.

Ultron: The same Antman.

X-23: The All New Wolverines version she's a good girl, new in comics and a cloned version of the beloved MPQ: Wolverine. I prefer his daughter version of logan, it's genius and his "trigger scent" is amazing. This new version it is just very typical physical strength of a character 3 *. Also has no control over his powers can kill his own allies. With the "trigger scent" it only attacked the target. These new writers instead of improving the characters they get worse.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dartboard, booze and good health insurance.
  • There's also "New comic series coming out" for a number of them, obvious for Cho, X-23, and previously Squirrel Girl, 4or, Captain Falcon, ect.

But there's still the occasional appeal to nostgalia and history and junk. Carnage wasn't exactly doing anything fancy. And Classic Cyclops still has those old 90s X-men fans.
  • chrisH
    chrisH Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    So much of it had to do with what marvel wants to push. Look at mpq as another form of advertising. Is there a new series launching? Mpq will get a new character from that series. Is there a movie coming out? New character from the movie. It happened with guardians, fantastic 4 vision quick silver and scarlet witch from the avengers movie. When the black panther movie releases I'm sure we'll get a 4 star panther even though no one asked for it.
  • Hopefully we'll see Dr. Strange as a 4 or 5* her when his movie comes out in 11/2016.
  • One element that seems overlooked - the lack of a need to code brand new characters. There is a reason there are so many repeats. Why take the time to come up with new animations, sounds, etc., when all you have to do is re-skin existing work?

Every version of Wolverine and Daken all share basically the same setup. Makes sense from a business standpoint.
  • GMadMan040 wrote:
    One element that seems overlooked - the lack of a need to code brand new characters. There is a reason there are so many repeats. Why take the time to come up with new animations, sounds, etc., when all you have to do is re-skin existing work?

Every version of Wolverine and Daken all share basically the same setup. Makes sense from a business standpoint.

5* Wolvie is the only new one since Patch way ago, and even if some of the art is the same, it's also animated pretty differently at the same time. And there's a few new pieces for Living Legend and stuff.

It is new animations and junk for her, at least.

And, obviously, X-23 will have entirely new junk to her.