Help with 2* to 3* transition - quick advice on roster

Options
Unknown
edited November 2015 in Roster and Level Help
Hi there, first time here and I would like some help from the experts.

I've been playing for roughly 3 months now, and I think I'm ready to start my 3* transition. I'd like to know the usual steps that are taken from someone on my position. Should I be looking for 3* rewards on PVE or on PVP? I'm able to beat Big Enchalada now so there are a few 3* covers there as well. Also, should I keep leveling 2* Daken? I'm willing to push Storm and OBW to lvl 94 and that would make me 2 2* max lvl teams.

Here is my roster http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/ferig/

And here are the covers waiting on the wings. I have a "rotating" spot (Bullseye is using it now), but other than that, who should I drop and who to put on the team?

3* icon_caroldanvers.pngredflag.png 3d 6h
icon_rocket.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.png 6d 3h and 11d 23h
icon_mystique.pngblueflag.png 8d 3h
icon_thing.pnggreenflag.png 8d 3h
4* icon_cyclops.pngblueflag.png 11d 23h
icon_hood.pngblackflag.png 12d 19h

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ooh, you're in a tough spot. First off, before we get to specific roster add/drop advice, I would absolutely max cstorm and obw. They will be valuable to you for a long time. Daken? I really liked him when I was in your position, but you don't NEED him. Plus, your best avenue for progression right now is PVE, and guess who will be locked out all the time because you're fighting against him? Daken. He'll also almost never be the essential in PVE because 90% of the time it's heroes, not villains.

Best thing you can do right now is get into a good (t250 at least) pve alliance. If you're willing to put in the time to compete, get into a t100 one. Try to hit t50 in each sub and between that and rewards from the end, you'll be able to afford lots of roster spots and won't have to worry so much about who to keep.

Play pvp as high as you can, but don't stress over it.

Potential drops:

IM40
    Invisible Woman
    Colossus
    Daken?

Adds:

This part is tough, because they're all good characters. Mystique is at the bottom, and cap marvel is right above her. Other than that, there are good reasons for all the others.

Groot
    Thing
    Cyc
    Hood
    Cap Marvel
    Myst

Good luck!
  • Hi,

I would like to offer my opinion.

The 3*s and 4*s in your queue are definitely worth keeping, but since there are 6 days left at least, you got time to try to farm up some HP and potentially join an alliance for some extra hp.
    I take it that you are unwilling to spend $$ on HP for roster slots. Hence I would recommend dropping the following. Do drop these only when the covers in your queue are about to expire. This will give you time to adjust.

To Drop:
    2* Cap Marvel & Bullseye. Why? A core team of 2* consisting of Ares, OBW, Wolvie, Daken, CStorm, MNMags, Thor will get you through anything. Just get them to level 94 asap with optimum builds

In order of drop
    3* IM
    3* Daredevil
    3* Gamora

I will not recommend dropping colossus yet simply because he is the essential for the PVE right after Enemy of The State.
    It can be extremely beneficial to check out the Deadpool Daily Cycle to make sure that you arent chucking a character whose DPD is coming up. One less 3* is one less taco icon_e_smile.gif

Finally, the previous poster above me has listed out the order of importance of the characters to keep. Hence I wont elaborate much on that. Good luck
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will not recommend dropping colossus yet simply because he is the essential for the PVE right after Enemy of The State.

Excellent point, I didn't check that first.
  • udonomefoo wrote:

Best thing you can do right now is get into a good (t250 at least) pve alliance. If you're willing to put in the time to compete, get into a t100 one. Try to hit t50 in each sub and between that and rewards from the end, you'll be able to afford lots of roster spots and won't have to worry so much about who to keep.

Thank you both!

Still don't know what to do with Daken. I think he is useful because of his colors, and his covers are easy to get. But I worry in throwing ISOs like that. I stopped leveling Ares on lvl 80, is it worth it to get him to lvl 94, knowing I already have Thor and Wolverine?

Also, about the Alliance, I created one with a couple of friends, and funny there are half a dozen guys with real nice rosters there. But neither is playing that much to make it to top something icon_cry.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you find an alliance with 20 members playing every event, you'll notice a big uptick in your reward income. Top 500 in a pve earns 25 HP, and t250 gets you 50. Get in a group that's in there for every event and you'll have an easier time paying for more roster slots to hold on to more characters.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ferig wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

Thank you both!

Still don't know what to do with Daken. I think he is useful because of his colors, and his covers are easy to get. But I worry in throwing ISOs like that. I stopped leveling Ares on lvl 80, is it worth it to get him to lvl 94, knowing I already have Thor and Wolverine?

Also, about the Alliance, I created one with a couple of friends, and funny there are half a dozen guys with real nice rosters there. But neither is playing that much to make it to top something icon_cry.gif
    Ares is just as powerful as Thor but with a different focus - Thor messes up your whole team while Ares really messes up one guy. He's worth rostering, particularly for PvP.
  • ferig wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

Thank you both!

You can never go wrong with a team like daken + wolvie + falcon where they constantly make strike tiles and boost them. The wonderful thing about daken is that you do not really need to spend health packs on him due to true healing.

Ares and Thor work differently. In some PVE or even PVP nodes, there is always one guy that is the most threatening. Ares main two skills are heavy single target hitters whose damage is significantly higher than Thor's single dmg. Thor is more effective when you want to down goons at one go.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I found daken very useful while I was at the 2* level. he can save a ton on health packs and when set up correctly, 2K damage for 5 blue is very good for 2*s. because of the general, overall iso shortage I highly endorse as much lighting round play as you can reasonably fit in and daken can blow through seeds without every needing a health pack. he and axwolvie can do all LR seeds with no health packs needed and that is a ton of help with iso. my main team in 2* land was ares/obw/daken. I agree that he's not absolutely critical or indispensable, but for me he was very useful - only true healing in 2*s (axwolvei is so little it doesn't count much unless you're playing LR seeds).
  • Thank you all!

I know this is not exactly the place, but I'm having a lot of trouble in ranking in this current PVE.

Is there something like a scaling or different bracket on PVE as well?

I don't mean the level of the enemies, I understood the scaling and rubberbanding concepts (though I didn't quite get the Stack part), but rather the level of the other players.
    Before Galactus I was top 25 on nearly every node for the past 3 PVE events. On the last one before Galactus I was even in 1st position 10 minutes to the end, but without health packs I ended up in 6th. Anyway, my game time and grinding has been consistently enough to put me at least top 100 every node, yet in this current PVE I can't nearly get to top 250. Is it a random "everyone is playing this particular event" or did I move into another kind of bracket?

Hope you guys understood that.

thx
  • Hi there!

I will be using my own roster-help topic again so I won't pollute the topic even more. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Here is my roster http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/ferig/

I have an easier question now: Should I drop ANYONE for another character as of this moment?

I mean, up until now I have been changing my roster of 3* a lot, having dropped Steve Rogers twice among others. And now I have rosterd him again, and I realized I could have maybe 10 covers for him right now if I hadn't dropped him in the first place.
    The last changes I made was dropping icon_invisiblewoman.png for icon_thing.png , and icon_daredevil.png for icon_hood.png

And now I keep sitting on my tokens, waiting to build HPs so I can open new roster slots, until last night I decided to use my 25 DDQ-Sweet tokens to try to get an Iron Fist cover (which of course I didn't get).

I know I have a few poor 3* in She-Hulk, Gamorra and Doc Ock, but at this point in my MPQ "career" is there an absolute top tier 3* or 4* that I should absolutely roster if I get my hands on?

Thanks a lot!
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I definitely would go back to hoarding your tokens. At this point, you want to focus on leveling up the toons you have and getting more roster spots. For me, things really took off when I got as many 3*s as possible to really make sure I completed DDQ everyday.

Just don't put ISO into the lower level 3*s. I know it is tempting to level up all your 3*s as you get a cover for them but it is much better to bank the ISO for the better characters.

You have your 2* team built up well so you can trim the lower level ones like Daken and Hawkeye if you do get additional 3*/4* toons.

One tweak, I would suggest is switching out your 1* IM for a 1* Juggs. He has a ton of utility especially when boosted. I would actually drop your Hawkeye to have a spot for Juggs so you can cover him and level him up.
  • Hawkeye is there just for the next PVE, I'll drop him when it's done. I am enjoying Daken quite a lot actually, I was thinking about lvling him up to 94 as well so I could have 2 good teams for PVP and PVE and save myself some Health Packs. I decided to push him as my 7th 2* because I understood that I would still be using my 2* team for a long time. I don't know very much about progression, I'm in my 105th day, but I'm betting it will take me anoher 100ish days to be able to field a good enough 3* team, am I right?
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Daken can definitely help with saving healthpack.png . It is just a pain when he is locked out of fights in PVE.

As for 3*s, you could already start mixing IM40 into your lineup. He is a great AP battery and if he is lower level he won't tank the colors. Depending on the matchup, I could even see taking your Loki in to steal strikes and protect tiles. Once they start to get leveled up, don't forget to use a half covered 3* as a health pack in a match. And be sure to use deadpool at least once a day to start banking points for whales.

As far as timeline for progression, you can see my roster in my signature. I'm at just past day 300. Your mileage may vary. I spent a lot of time grinding PVEs to get top 10 so I could get those 3 covers. Being able to add 2 or 3 covers for a couple days worth of work can be key to get started.

The biggest change I made was finding a good alliance. It was amazing how much better the game was when you start getting good alliance rewards from events. If you aren't in an active alliance, that is the biggest piece of advice I can give you. Jump in the alliances forum and find a good one.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fyi - im40 with 2 yellow is a perfect third for 2daken/axwolvie. also good with cstorm and mnmags. im40 is a great red/blue battery - other than that he's not very usable.