5* does affect PVP

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Up until recently I had not seen any negative effect on my PVP matches after pulling OML. All my PVP matching seemed reasonable and I couldn't see why everyone was complaining (it's had little effect on PVE). Until Season 20 that is...now all of a sudden I'm matched against people at least 30 levels above my highest level (my 255 one cover OML)

Strangely it only seems to be happening with simulator at the minute. But the moral is this, prepare to give up on PVP if you pull a 5* cover when you are not ready for it.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we get the word "confirmed" removed from the subject header? You said yourself it had no affect, but now "all of sudden" you're seeing different matchmaking. This is as far from "confirmation" as you can possibly get.
  • OneLastGambit
    simonsez wrote:
    Can we get the word "confirmed" removed from the subject header? You said yourself it had no affect, but now "all of sudden" you're seeing different matchmaking. This is as far from "confirmation" as you can possibly get.

Did you read the post?

I also confirm that it definitely does affect PVP. I am 100% confident of that.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Did you read the post?

I also confirm that it definitely does affect PVP. I am 100% confident of that.
    I think the problem is in that there is nothing scientific about your assessment to be able to declare it as confirmed.

You didn't see any difference, then all of a sudden there is a difference, but then only in Simulator. Oh, and you are guessing it's OML. Confirmation? No, speculation.

You can state your experience as you did in your post, but that is an experience you are having without any real way to determine why.

MMR is usually determined each event, not reset for the season, and you would see it in each PVP, not just Simulator. So I have no doubt something screwy is going on with your MMR, but it is not yet confirmed that it is OML until you are able to gather more evidence.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    If you start the Simulator just moments after it's available, you're putting yourself in with the "Git er done" crowd. Personally, I'm still two days away from even starting the season, and probably a week away from starting my climb in the Simulator. Let the event populate, and then see if your matchmaking changes. This is why you're getting flak on the word "confirmed." There are more variables than Old Man Logan (who probably is affecting your matchmaking, but not as much as you think).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am 100% confident of that.
    I'm sure you are. There are also people who are 100% confident that the earth is flat. Doesn't mean it's "confirmed".
  • Seems to me that all these threads could easily be avoided with an official *confirmation* from the Devs. Why is this such a mystery? Do 5*'s affect your game or not? If so, is it intended or is it a glitch that will be fixed? A little communication here would end this pointless debate.
  • OneLastGambit
    simonsez wrote:
    I am 100% confident of that.
    I'm sure you are. There are also people who are 100% confident that the earth is flat. Doesn't mean it's "confirmed".

Perhaps I should re-title the thread "Vaguely ambigious musings of sudden changes to matchmaking in PVP after pulling Old Man Logan"

I didn't realise the wording of my thread caused such pain and distress, please accept my apologies posters. I shall be more careful with my wording next time.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magisse wrote:
    Seems to me that all these threads could easily be avoided with an official *confirmation* from the Devs. Why is this such a mystery? Do 5*'s affect your game or not? If so, is it intended or is it a glitch that will be fixed? A little communication here would end this pointless debate.
    Very true.

Their initial "official comment" was that having him in your roster would not effect your scaling.

That was so specifically worded that I was more concerned with what was left unsaid... what happens if you do use him? What happens to your MMR since it is different than scaling... what about the customer service responses that define scaling as looking at your highest level characters which must include 5* since they are in your roster.

An official review of the data, and an explanation of the actual impacts instead of the theoretical impacts they mentioned before implementation would be refreshing indeed.
  • OneLastGambit
    What JV said ^^^
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Magisse wrote:
    Seems to me that all these threads could easily be avoided with an official *confirmation* from the Devs. Why is this such a mystery? Do 5*'s affect your game or not? If so, is it intended or is it a glitch that will be fixed? A little communication here would end this pointless debate.

I'd be surprised if they've even decided among themselves how much they want 5* to affect the game.

I'll add that it seems entirely possible that 5* have a bigger impact on the Simulator than ordinary PvP. If you're a 3* player, 255 isn't much of an outlier in an event with boosted characters. When there are no boosts, if you're not a 4* player, it's going to have a bigger impact on your average top 3 (or however they're doing it these days).
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    The better question is why are people that are not ready for it getting it in the first place
  • Heartburn wrote:
    The better question is why are people that are not ready for it getting it in the first place

why do people win the lottery when theyre not ready to be millionaires?

chance.

and thats the way it is.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Up until recently I had not seen any negative effect on my PVP matches after pulling OML. All my PVP matching seemed reasonable and I couldn't see why everyone was complaining (it's had little effect on PVE). Until Season 20 that is...now all of a sudden I'm matched against people at least 30 levels above my highest level (my 255 one cover OML)

Strangely it only seems to be happening with simulator at the minute. But the moral is this, prepare to give up on PVP if you pull a 5* cover when you are not ready for it.
    You're seeing this in sim because a lot of higher level players are going in early for Cyclops, you're being matched against who's available
  • OneLastGambit
    fmftint wrote:

You're seeing this in sim because a lot of higher level players are going in early for Cyclops, you're being matched against who's available

It's happening in the squirrel girl PVP as well now. I haven't entered the R&G one
  • Perhaps I should re-title the thread "Vaguely ambigious musings of sudden changes to matchmaking in PVP after pulling Old Man Logan"

It would be more accurate, at least.

Some websites would call the original title "click-bait".

Everyone here wants to see proof. Most people are going to click on to this thread with its current misleading title and be disappointed. You have to expect some of that disappointment to be vented at you.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please use the master thread, there is a hefty discussion going on about this topic

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33297
This discussion has been closed.