Question for all the 40 pack purchasers

So I know from way back in the day, the general rule of thumb is to buy covers for specific characters instead of leaving it to chance in cover packs.

This has been true ever since they removed the guaranteed character from packs, but how "worth it" is a 40 cover pack purchase?

I currently have enough HP that a small purchase will get me to 11k and enough for the 40 heroic that includes a legendary. Can anyone give an opinion on whether going with the 40 is any more lucrative than the 3-4 covers I could purchase out right? I only have one 4* at 13 covers total and am missing some key covers (3/0/2 Jean Grey for instance). Any information would be helpful.

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    stlramz wrote:
    So I know from way back in the day, the general rule of thumb is to buy covers for specific characters instead of leaving it to chance in cover packs.

This has been true ever since they removed the guaranteed character from packs, but how "worth it" is a 40 cover pack purchase?

I currently have enough HP that a small purchase will get me to 11k and enough for the 40 heroic that includes a legendary. Can anyone give an opinion on whether going with the 40 is any more lucrative than the 3-4 covers I could purchase out right? I only have one 4* at 13 covers total and am missing some key covers (3/0/2 Jean Grey for instance). Any information would be helpful.

Don't do it. I did twice during the anniversary and it was completely wasted. You are better off getting four covers that you need for a top flight 4* than spend it on a crapshoot that could give you anywhere from 0-??? I know Malcrof had great luck on one. I managed 4 4* out of 80 packs not counting the legendaries.

I think if you are going to do it, you wait until the release PVP for a character where the only 4* present is the new one.

Save yourself the disappointment.
  • I buy them frequently....too much. I have almost all of the 3 * covers, but not one 4 * fully covered. That being said, I usually get about 10 covers maybe that I actually use and maybe 1 to 2 4 *'s. I guess I am an optimist and I hope I will get a cover I need. It is kinda fun opening the packs, but it can be frustrating to get a landslide of 2 * cards, which inevitably happens. It is really up to you. I occasionally get a good run and once I think I got 3 4 *'s. Hope this helps.

P.S. expect a load of Moonstone's and 2 * Bullseye
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    stlramz wrote:

I am a gambler myself, and hit the jackpot with a 40 pack during the first galactus run, 17 4*s.

Remember, you get a free legendary token with it! But, would need more info.. are you done with all your 3*s? Do you need the new 4*s? New 4*s are added at the beginning of the season, not sure about red hulk though. But if you need loads of 3* covers, and some scattered 4*s, the token pack may be a good idea.

at 3/0/2, you would need 20k HP to max her, with a token pack, you could hit the jackpot, or end up with a bunch of iso, but at least 1 4* is guarenteed.
  • @ OP. If you are set on spending the HP, use them to buy specific covers for your characters in places that they will do the most good.

I understand that you have zero covers for some characters, but in my opinion, gambling that a 40 pack is going to net you that specific cover that you desire isn't worth it.

A targeted purchase of covers that will help the most is a much better strategy to beef up your roster.

easy...marc
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    There's an old saying, "The lottery is a tax on people who are poor at math."

Do not buy the lottery in this game.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    What is your goal in this game? Collect em all slowly or be at the top of pvp to get better rewards and progress to "end-game" quicker.

Imo, buying 4 covers for a JG (to become 5/0/4) won't be a game changer (especially without a suitable partner) so it might not be worth spending 10k HP. Also, buying a 40-pack might not help you either if you pull **** - expect to get mainly 3*s.

Also - what is your current roster state - are you still building up your 3* roster or do you have every 3* covered already? If you are a 3* trans, do you have enough HP to recruit more new heroes?
  • Malcrof wrote:
    stlramz wrote:

I am a gambler myself, and hit the jackpot with a 40 pack during the first galactus run, 17 4*s.

Remember, you get a free legendary token with it! But, would need more info.. are you done with all your 3*s? Do you need the new 4*s? New 4*s are added at the beginning of the season, not sure about red hulk though. But if you need loads of 3* covers, and some scattered 4*s, the token pack may be a good idea.

at 3/0/2, you would need 20k HP to max her, with a token pack, you could hit the jackpot, or end up with a bunch of iso, but at least 1 4* is guarenteed.

I have 31 fully covered 3* characters currently. Including many of the top tier (Fist, Cage, Thor, S Witch, Cyc, etc etc). I feel as though I'm knee deep in the 4* transition. I have a 222 fully covered X-Force Wolverine already.

Targeting characters is probably the smartest thing to do, I suppose.

I currently have:
    4/1/4 X-Force DP
    2/1/3 Professor
    3/4/3 Fury
    2/2/2 Carnage

It's just hard to not stare at the incomplete characters and want their missing covers.

Such as:
    3/0/2 Jean Grey
    3/0/1 Hulkbuster
    2/0/1 Kingpin
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 40 pack is a way to get base covers you lack, especially with a featured character.

But if you have the base covers, purchasing specific covers is a better use of funds.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I made a horrible mistake... This is embarrassing but I don't want others to make the same mistake so I'll out myself.

I saved up Google play cards every pay day for the last 6 months, 10 here, 20 there, i got some bday cash and grabbed a 50.00 play card.. knowing the anniversary was coming I stocked up.

I bought 2 stark salaries, then bought 3 Cyclops 40 packs, I got 4 yellow covers and 3 blue.

SO not worth it. Never again. From now on I'll use hp for shields and health, or to buy 4* covers.
  • It is a tough decision to make. Like many people have said if you don't have all three covers for a 4* then the 40 pack may be the way to go. But I would wait for the 4* to be boosted in a pvp pack.

The legendary token is a big deal though because that's the only way to get a 5* and you have a 5% chance at it. I have gotten lucky with them a few times. My last heroic 40 pack yielded me 6 4 stars and an Old Man Logan from the legendary. That's more 4 stars then I could've purchased. However, the 40 pack I bought before that only gave me 1 4 star cover from the pack and an Elektra Red from the legendary token which I already had maxed.

So this was probably 0 help.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    stlramz wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    stlramz wrote:

I have 31 fully covered 3* characters currently. Including many of the top tier (Fist, Cage, Thor, S Witch, Cyc, etc etc). I feel as though I'm knee deep in the 4* transition. I have a 222 fully covered X-Force Wolverine already.

I currently have:
    4/1/4 X-Force DP
    2/1/3 Professor
    3/4/3 Fury
    2/2/2 Carnage

It's just hard to not stare at the incomplete characters and want their missing covers.

Such as:
    3/0/2 Jean Grey
    3/0/1 Hulkbuster
    2/0/1 Kingpin

Well, the 1 thing HP cannot buy is ISO. If you need many random 4* covers, AND iso, then a 40 pack can give you a chunk of iso from selling covers you don't need. If you are ISO flush.. buy covers.
  • If you need lots of 3* covers, might be worth it. Otherwise, no.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I have bought quite a few 40 decks.

Outside of a few lucky people, I posit that a 40 pack generally consists of:

1 top tier 4* (jean, hulk buster etc)
    1 mid tier 4* (thora, prof x, xfwolv etc)
    1 bottom tier 4* (bag lady, star lord, elektra)

Probably around 7-11 3* of varying quality.

The rest are 2*.

If you feel a purchase is worth that. Or worse. Then go nuts. If you are just starting the game I would say a 40 pack is an excellent purchase though. But do NOT open your legendary. Save it.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    If you are ISO flush.. buy covers.

If someone has a "get iso flush" quick scheme they need to share that tidbit.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you mainly play PVE, buy 3 Prof X blues and go winfinite.

If you mainly play PVP, wait until you get the missing Hulkbuster cover and them max. Or Jean Grey cover and then max.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cover packs are a good investment when you are literally just starting the game and you are still needing covers for your 2-star and 3-star characters. Once you are past the 2-to-3-star transition phase, spending money on cover packs is a really poor use of your resources, considering the other things you could be spending on in the game with better values like shields (did you know you can win 3 and 4-star covers by spending around 300 HP shield hopping in PvP?), roster slots (those shiny new 4-star covers will be no use to you if you can't recruit them) and specific covers.
  • stlramz wrote:

I was a big 40 pack purchaser when still early in the 3 star realm. I've had remarkable 4 star luck in my 40 packs, but now that my 3 star roster is completely full, I only get 40 packs when a new 4 star is released and their PVP event comes AND its a character I actually want. Only other time is a DDQ 40 pack for some health packs/iso with a 4 star/leg token chance.

If you want to cover a specific character, especially a 4 star absolutely buy the covers outright. It's less fun but it makes sense if 95% of what you will pull from a 40pack is garbage.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    stlramz wrote:

I currently have:
    4/1/4 X-Force DP
    2/1/3 Professor
    3/4/3 Fury
    2/2/2 Carnage

Such as:
    3/0/2 Jean Grey
    3/0/1 Hulkbuster
    2/0/1 Kingpin

To be honest, a 40 pack is a lottery ticket that most players (aside from our beloved mod malcrof icon_mrgreen.gif ) lose. With your roster, I would make a push for pvp at 1k whenever a needed 4* is offered. Patience is a virtue in this game.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Agreed with everything above. Malcrof inspired me to purchase a 40 pack during anniversary and I was very disappointed. I could have used that HP to max out my Xforce Deadpool, but instead... I don't even remember the two garbage that I pulled. All I remember is the heartbreak.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    stlramz wrote:

I was a big 40 pack purchaser when still early in the 3 star realm. I've had remarkable 4 star luck in my 40 packs, but now that my 3 star roster is completely full, I only get 40 packs when a new 4 star is released and their PVP event comes AND its a character I actually want. Only other time is a DDQ 40 pack for some health packs/iso with a 4 star/leg token chance.

If you want to cover a specific character, especially a 4 star absolutely buy the covers outright. It's less fun but it makes sense if 95% of what you will pull from a 40pack is garbage.

I would agree here. Push to 1k and get the 4* covers, once your 4* is closer to being complete, then buy the covers. Generally the 5th cover in any colour is required for the character to be more useful.

If your luck is really bad, you could buy the rest of the covers for JG (5/0/5) and then pull a purple/green after you maxed it while you still need 3 blue covers.