4 * match damage

Heartburn
Heartburn Posts: 527
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
4 star.png match damage is such a joke right now just pulling ahead of 3 star.pngs in their last stretch of their leveling. Is anything going to be done to fix it? Especially now that we seen what 5 star.png match damage starts is at the base level.

Edit: for reference 3 star.png max low 80,70,70 ; 4 star.png mid 80,70,70; 5 star.png start @ ~140,130,115

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heartburn wrote:
    Is anything going to be done to fix it?
    No, because you don't necessarily want your 4* tanking every color.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like at some point in their lifetime early on, 4* Match damage was higher than it currently is. There were reasons it was reduced, but I can't find the post in part because don't remember how long ago that was.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    I can see in some cases that may ring true especially since not many 4 stars true heal, but I would think we would want to better define the match damage then have it sit so close to 3 stars, it would make them better level based then strict cover base in case you get a even spread of covers for inprogress characters. This only effects composite teams of 3 and 4s. Having them close benefits developing 4 stars and those with skills that benefit from others tanking(most except poor colossus) in developing combos with 3 stars this can be problematic because the 3 star may end up tanking for the 4s making the combo break sooner.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah remember the original Puzzle Quest where there was no match damage unless you matched the Skull tiles? ecountdown.png
  • simonsez
    I feel like at some point in their lifetime early on, 4* Match damage was higher than it currently is. There were reasons it was reduced, but I can't find the post in part because don't remember how long ago that was.
    I think you might be thinking of the match damage reduction they made to overscaled PvE characters, and goons.
  • Heartburn wrote:
    Is anything going to be done to fix it?
    I **** hope not, I'd have to rebuild my ProfX if his blue damage jumped over SWitch/GSBW's purple damage.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    My one cover OML does 155 match damage per tile on black, that doesn't seem particularly excessive. Maybe when he is fully covered and levelled it will be 'a joke' but then these characters were never designed to fight 1,2 or 3* characters in the same way a 3* isn't designed to fight a 1* and would be considered 'a joke' in the same context.
  • I'd argue that 5* match damage being too high is more of a problem than 4* match damage being too low. The power differential is ridiculous between the two tiers. Everything about 5* feels too strong and the only justification seems to be under the guise that it's to make a few cover 5* usable but it conveniently leaves out the fact that it trivializes everything once you move past a few covers. The only thing they've said is a vague statement about how they will roll out buffs for 4*s to make them somewhat on an even level when boosted.

Of course, this doesn't address what will happen to every 3* player and the people trying to transition into 4*s but why would that be important? I mean, we've already accepted that 2* players have no place in PVP outside of grabbing a two* cover and maybe the little hp reward. It seems like that's where 3* players will be headed within a year.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I think you might be thinking of the match damage reduction they made to overscaled PvE characters, and goons.

I thought the 4* change was part of it, but you could be right.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    My thoughts on this.

When 4*'s were just a novelty D3 didn't and had said they didn't want them overtaking everything as it limited combos and creative lineups. However, now that 4*'s are established and are just at the point of fully replacing 3*'s if they haven't already, is that we no longer need to worry about the 3* comboing with 4*, we want 4*'s with 4*'s. So yes, I think 4*'s are overdue for a match dmg increase as well as a skill dmg increase with 5*'s.

To me in a perfect world a boosted 1* match dmg would be more than a non-boosted 2*, a boosted 2 more than a non boosted 3, a boosted 3 more than a non boosted 4, etc as this will lead to good builds.

With 5*'s life and match dmg being ridicuolous compared to the rest, a boost in match dmg is needed at the 3* and 4* levels
  • simonsez
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    When 4*'s were just a novelty D3 didn't and had said they didn't want them overtaking everything as it limited combos and creative lineups.
    I wonder what happened between then and "We want 5*s overtaking everything, limiting combos and creative lineups"
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    When 4*'s were just a novelty D3 didn't and had said they didn't want them overtaking everything as it limited combos and creative lineups.
    I wonder what happened between then and "We want 5*s overtaking everything, limiting combos and creative lineups"

I don't know, because 5*s are doing to 4*'s what D3 didn't want 4*'s doing to 3*'s
  • I think a good solution would be to change how tanking works. Maybe have a tanking slot. Like whichever character you place on the left will tank all match damage or something.
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    You can't have one tank all match damage. That would be terrible. One of the main advantages (most of the time) you have on offense is for your team to spread the damage. You can pick who you target and eliminate them first, but the AI has to hit based on your matches. This allows you to protect an injured toon by not matching their color first. I can see an interesting characteristic of a character who has passives that add to their match damage, so that you can basically create a tank that doesn't have great active abilities....
    example:
    4* juggs has headbutt, board shake, and (white cover?) that adds +X to match damage for him for each cover
    example, at level 70, having base:
    yellowtile.png 9
    redtile.png 41
    bluetile.png8
    purpletile.png 41
    greentile.png 37
    blacktile.png 32

but with covers:
    yellowtile.png 11, 13, 15, 17, 20
    redtile.png 43, 45, 47, 49, 52
    bluetile.png10, 12, 14, 16, 19
    purpletile.png 10, 12, 14, 16, 19
    greentile.png 39, 41, 43, 45, 48
    blacktile.png 34, 36, 38, 40, 43
    As for comparing 3* and 4*, at level 70, a 4* has more match damage than a 3*. But they level slower. A 166 3* matches a level 222 4*. Just like a 3* had to be at 105 to pass a 94 2*.