General Roster Fine Tuning

herm1978
herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I wonder which characters that is "safe" to sell when you need roster slots. That is not needed for any event or so. From what I understand in every PVE there is a 2*, 3* and 4* essential. So every 2-4 star could be needed.

That leaves the 1*s. I need one for DDQ but other than that, I could sell them off?

Since this isn't specific roster help, but a general discussion of using roster slots wisely, this will remain in general for now. Renamed to more accurately reflect the discussion

Comments

• I personally sold every 1* of mine but Juggs ages ago and haven't for a second even contemplated the act, let alone regretting it.

DBC
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    To my knowledge, 2* Bagman Spiderman is also never required for any events.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Any one star that doesn't have a two equivalent. Venom, Jugs, Iron Man.

don't know if bagman counts as a two star spidey. Ultimately just having one 1 star is purely for the DDQ. I have Iron Man but would love to develop a juggernaut to take his place.

2 stars are a matter of opinion, but I think all the dark avengers are expendible save maybe ares.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I sold off most of my 2*s except the ones I use in DDQ. I've lately been hanging onto one cover of each unrostered 2* and rotating them through the same roster slot as they become essential.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the 2* villains are only the essential for pve once a month or so. It's 90% heroes, so I dumped moonstone and 2* bullseye, daken will be next if I need a spot and don't have the hp. The only reason he lasted this long is that he's fully leveled and I hate to get a few hundred iso back for selling a guy that cost me that much.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Other than Juggs its pretty safe to sell all the 1*s, then in 2* land its nice to have a good team for DPDQ (I use OBW/Daken/Ares with subbing Storm in for Daken when needed) then I rotate the rest into a roster slot based on who is required. I tend not to open standard tokens (not worth the time) so I can just pop a few to find that required cover, and even fully covered/leveled they tend not to contribute too much given the front end of my roster.

TLDR:
    All 1*s except Juggs
    All 2* except OBW/Daken/Ares/Storm.
  • Like others have mentioned already, you can keep Juggernaut as your only 1*, he handles the DDQ node just fine by himself.

For 2* characters, I've kept Storm, OBW, and Thor to do the DDQ. Sometimes one of them isn't usable because they're on the other team, but any 2 of them together has gotten me through without an issue.

I also have one more slot that I use for whatever 2* essential I may need. I try to keep covers in my rewards section and then swap someone into that slot if I need them. Had to find a 1* Hawkeye in the prologue to put in for the Galactus essential, and that was the slot I used.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I keep Juggernaut and four 2* (ares/obw/storm/wolverine). That's it.

For PvE, the only time I care about missing an essential is for a new character, in which case I'll add a roster spot (that the new character would get anyway) and spend time recruiting that character before hand. That's easy enough to do, since who it will be is telegraphed by the previous rewards, and tokens/lightning rounds/PvP/Shield Sim drop 2* covers often enough.
  • herm1978 wrote:
    I wonder which characters that is "safe" to sell when you need roster slots. That is not needed for any event or so. From what I understand in every PVE there is a 2*, 3* and 4* essential. So every 2-4 star could be needed.

That leaves the 1*s. I need one for DDQ but other than that, I could sell them off?
    Yes. Bagman has never been a required 2* either. Up until this last DDQ Devil Dino was safe to sell off as well, not so much anymore.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    This is what I do - you may or may not find it too much work for you, but I like it. I have a decent-sized roster (73 characters total,) and I did keep a number of the 2*s, but not all of them. If I get a 2* that I did not keep, I leave it in the "rewards" section until it is either about to expire, or it becomes clear I will not need it. I have one "flexible" roster slot for that 2* character, AWolvie is in it right now. When it becomes clear I'll need that character, I take all the covers from the "rewards" section for that character.

I once had to load an extra slot (two characters I didn't have in a row,) in that case I just wrote over the second one with a newly awarded character.

The 2* who is rewarded in this particular PVE will be required in the next one - so you can plan 3, 4, or 7 days in advance. When you learn this, load up the character you need (if he's not in your roster already,) and sell all the other characters who will expire in that time frame. Lather, rinse, repeat. Sure, you lose out on some Iso for these covers, and it will be a pretty low level 2* you bring to the essential, but you'll still be able to do it.

Also, because Bagman is no longer in the tokens, I think it's safe to say he'll never be an essential.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Sorry about this, I quoted rather than editted by accident. Don't read this post!

Seriously, don't!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have sold every 1* except Juggy for DDQ

I will (soon) have sold every 2* except Storm/OBW/Thor (my DDQ team)/Ares (for those times when there is 3* storm). I find it incredibly easy to get one of each 2* each week (if you need them for essentials) just through lightning round seed teams - and that when I play 1 cover level 15 2* it does nothing more than full covered level 94 2*'s.

I would suggest to new players to try to skip the 1* transition completely (as quick as you can at least), and collect very few 2*'s.

I would suggest to D3 that it's pitiful how expensive roster slots are, that these characters aren't really viable to keep on rosters.
  • GrimSkald wrote:
    Sorry about this, I quoted rather than editted by accident. Don't read this post!

Seriously, don't!
    AHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!! I READ THE POST!!!!!! icon_eek.gif
  • GrimSkald wrote:

Seriously, don't!

Your meager efforts did little to encourage my non-reading of said post. Frankly, I fully suspect you knew as much prior to making your lackluster "suggestion." (Pffft. icon_rolleyes.gif ) As such, I did in fact read said post, for which I DEMAND compensation!

[sharpens pitchfork while torch lays soaking in tar... preparations going as planned... soon... very soon...]

icon_razz.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a nightmare for completionist players. I want em all, even bagman. Maybe *especially* bagman, because he's more rare now that he's only gained occasionally from PVP icon_mrgreen.gif .
  • I keep a full 2-4* roster, but that's just because I'm a collector. I also leveled all my 2* (minus bagman) and don't feel like losing the spent ISO. They still come in handy as bait teams in PVP. I also keep a fully done Juggs and a 1* spidey, because I love him and keep pretending that he's the real 3* version.
  • Some people will keep MBW to send for alliance Team-Ups. Her stun remains very useful even when you've transitioned well-beyond the 1* game. I know keeping a slot just for team-ups is not the same as needing it for your personal play, but I can tell you your alliance-mates will sure appreciate it.
  • smkspy
    2 star wolverine is often a powered up character in pve. Plus, he's my mainstay for the big enchilada. Him, 3 star cyclops, and OBW are pretty much guaranteed winners unless facing ninjas which might take a second turn depending on board set up.

Edit: I really wish we could have a buy a roster slot option for $5 or 7 dollars. Once you get into the 1000 HP option, it's a beast to manage your roster with so many new characters being introduced all the time.
  • smkspy wrote:
    Edit: I really wish we could have a buy a roster slot option for $5 or 7 dollars. Once you get into the 1000 HP option, it's a beast to manage your roster with so many new characters being introduced all the time.
    Not to be a ****, honestly, but Logan's Loonies is exactly that. 2900 HP for $19.99 = $6.89 per roster spot. You do have to buy them in 3s to get that price, but on the other hand not everyone is at 1000 HP per slot yet, and you can save more by spending more! [/shill]
  • smkspy
    smkspy wrote:
    Not to be a ****, honestly, but Logan's Loonies is exactly that. 2900 HP for $19.99 = $6.89 per roster spot. You do have to buy them in 3s to get that price, but on the other hand not everyone is at 1000 HP per slot yet, and you can save more by spending more! [/shill]

Fair enough, though they should just make it 3000 HP then to equal three rosters spots. Though it's hard justifying spending $20 for 3 (ish) spots for some when look upon as a whole. Really, it is a bad deal. A single purchase option entices thrift spenders to spend more without even realizing it. Buy one spot for $7 or buy four for $20 type of thing.

Though personally I think 1000 points should 3 slots, not 1. Either that or cap spots at 500/600 HP.