Alliance Help - No Alliance Tab

I've tried searching the forums but I didn't see anyone else post this. I've started playing MPQ (Dark Reign?) on my Note 4 a couple weeks back, and my friend wants to start an alliance with me. However my problem is I don't know how to get to the alliance/social section of the game. I know this sounds stupid, but I've gone through every option in the game to find the alliance section. I've been told that there is tab on the bottom right hand screen but it hasn't appeared yet. I got the following three tabs: Recruit Heroes > Train > Roster. Is there some action in the game I need to take to open up the Alliance options? I've completed the Prologues H.A.M.M.E.R., and Juggernaut quests. I'm almost done with Venom. I figure I have to finish all of the prologue quests first but my friend didn't. I'm sure I'm missing something here. Can someone help me out?

I will note that if I go to Story and Galactus Hungers it actually lets me join and Alliance but it requires a name of an Alliance. I would guess this is my work around or is this the proper way to join an Alliance? I am a little confused on how you would make one if I'm forced to join an existing one first.