Patches life on the D-list

Options
wymtime
wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
As I was playing LR today I was looking at Patch and starting remembering when he was a top 5-10 character in the game, and now on my roster he is regulated to seed teams and trivial nodes in PVE. It is amazing at how the game has passed by so many good old characters. Do you remember Patch Cmags winfinity combo would fire BR followed up by Cmags old blue!! Remember IM40 with 2 yellows to lead into the best there is and it would completely down a character! Now patch does get some love with Loki, but seriously is anyone afraid of that team?
Let's remember the great Daken when he used to tank Green!! He was a beast and his strike tiles were worth just a little bit more? Daken and Sentry were killer when you could make a couple green matches and it was game over. Now both Patch and Daken have so little health that so many characters can down them with one shot. Sure they can true heal each turn, but you can't true heal when you are dead!
Do you ever look at Punisher and remember him with OBW before true healing? OBW would steal black even though Punisher tanked for her! Punisher had great strike tiles, the only decent black in the game and a great finishing red. Now even buffed he is passed by.
next on the D-list is mystique. Man I remember her with MNMags for devistating effects. This was the new winfinity with Pro X. I didn't have enough blue for ProX so I brought BP along and would rage my way to victory on the most deadly PVE nodes. Now Mystique's blue costs too much, and does not convert enough tiles to work really well. Sure her black is a great Nuke, up there with Cyclops in 3* land but her other 2 powers now land her squarely on the D-list.
Lastly we have Sentry. Sentry was by far the most devistating character in the game. Xforce at his peek was awsome, but Sentry/Hood combo would wipe out every team in under 2 min. Sadly Sentry is now awful. He isn't even a D-lister, he is a waisted roster slot only to be used when required. How sad.
We now have so many fun characters in the game, but these couple of characters used to rule MPQ, and now sit at the bottoms of a lot of people's rosters. Some might make an appearance when buffed, or against smaller opponents, but the game has passed them by.

Who do you remember who used to be an A lister, but is now a D-lister on your roster? Sometimes it if fun to dwell in the past!

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Ah, yes. Memory lane.....which starts, and kind of ends, with the original Rags. His red/green when first released were magnificent.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch/Daken both I often run in the "essential" DDQ node, so they get a little play.

Punisher/Magneto being top of the heap were before I had them covered/leveled - they've always seemed not as good as their counterparts.

Loki/Hood really took a hit without their health being boosted. Hood basically never sees play when not boosted (then again who does?) - but Loki rarely sees play even when he is boosted.

Hulk same way - his health was the only reason he was being run. It should have gone way up, not stayed steady.
  • Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    I remember just getting the last cover for mags to make patchneto use able in pvp as I was in the 2 to 3 transition.. I got 3 pvps out of the team then the bat came out..same thing happened to sentry for me
  • Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Ragnarok and spidey are two more who where just unbelievable to run but now only get used when featured
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Xforce Wolverine used to be a character I took to nearly every level. Now, only used when boosted.
  • And I'm sitting here going "Wait when was Patch considered bad? He's like the guy I want to base all my team composistions around. He's the reason I have a Level 94 Moonstone. He's why I want more Loki and Ant-Man covers. He's the main reason I like to drag Doctor Doom around everywhere too. He's the cornerstone of the "Wait and unleash 8 powers at once" strategy"

Like, all my ideal team compositions are based around the guy (and covering for how badly he backfires)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used to use Daken/Sentry back when Sentry green was amazing. I don't think I've used Sentry since he's been nerfed.
  • tdglory49
    tdglory49 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    XForce Wolverine - I lucked into a 5/1/1 early on. I think he did like 3k damage plus board shake for 8 AP at 172? Post-nerf, he's only starting to get more play now that I've finished covering his black.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Patch is still an A list player in my book. Team him with Daredevil and Cage in the TBE node... never fails me. Patch/Daredevil is one of my favorite combos to use.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Cylaali wrote:
    Xforce Wolverine used to be a character I took to nearly every level. Now, only used when boosted.

Fixed:
    Xforce Wolverine used to be a character I took to nearly every level.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here is an old one. Anyone remember 1* storm who would kill any 3* team with the jungle enviornmental tiles!! 5AP red to destroy all enviornmental tiles and that would let you spam green to generate more AP!!! Ah 1* storm used to be the bomb
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    And I'm sitting here going "Wait when was Patch considered bad? He's like the guy I want to base all my team composistions around. He's the reason I have a Level 94 Moonstone. He's why I want more Loki and Ant-Man covers. He's the main reason I like to drag Doctor Doom around everywhere too. He's the cornerstone of the "Wait and unleash 8 powers at once" strategy"

Like, all my ideal team compositions are based around the guy (and covering for how badly he backfires)

I had patch at 3/3/5, and then doom and daredevil were 2 of my first optimal 3* characters. It became my normal shield climber. sure others were better when buffed, but when all of my 'toons were lvl 94, that made a great team. Collect green, and wait for the purple to be covered. I raised patch to like 108 and left everyone else at 94, so he tanked more. I could also sub my (see above) 94 moonstone, or wait for doom's traps on all the purple tiles. cast 2 berserker rages and KILL! Doom's attack tiles just speed it up.
    If that wasn't working then I could daredevil's radar sense to create good damage and clear the enemy strike tiles.

Sure my roster has gotten better since then, and that was so last season for me, but it was my first and is still fun.
    Patch/daken/someone is still a great climbing team to conserve health packs. My roster is still capped at 120, so I'm not seeing 270 HB punch, so it's still great!
  • wymtime wrote:
    Here is an old one. Anyone remember 1* storm who would kill any 3* team with the jungle enviornmental tiles!! 5AP red to destroy all enviornmental tiles and that would let you spam green to generate more AP!!! Ah 1* storm used to be the bomb

And she used to have Red/Black/Green as her strongest colors...

marc
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Strangely enough, nerfed sentry got me through my 2 to 3* transition. I was running lvl 140 sentry with max area and loaner in pvp. Boost 6 red yellow green, 2 match red gave me supernova, 2 match yellow gave me sunder and onslaught was ready to fire. Allowed me to shield hop to top 100 when it was getting very difficult to finish top 100 for transitioners. Boost nerf killed sentry...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Ah, yes. Memory lane.....which starts, and kind of ends, with the original Rags. His red/green when first released were magnificent.

Oh yeah I liked nothing better than to see him do two moves for insane damage every single turn because his moves only cost 2AP each.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do you guys remember when Invisible Woman....

nvm
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Weird post to read. My response? Remember Environmental AP, when ALL healing was true healing, when they first added Invisible Woman? Remember how both her and X-Force Wolvie were initially so incredibly bad no one used them even though they were the only four stars? Remember when you could buy tokens that gave you a guaranteed cover of a specific hero?
    Remember how Spider-Man classic could stun lock entire teams for infinite turns?

Just saying, being all "it was better before" isn't always true.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

I remember when 3* Storm came out and I was like "AWESOME! 1* Storm was amazing when I used her!" and then realising 3* Storm's not that great. Took me a little while to remember why.

Paired 1* Storm with Thor for infinite moves. Even now I still go to Desert or Forest nodes in PvP out of habbit simply because of the old broken-**** environmental tiles.
  • Almost all 1* and 2 *. I like to vary my characters, must be why I'm good in pve. Game with all my 3 * maximized.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Hood. He's still great but weekly boosted characters (and 4*s becoming more and more prevalent) plus being one of the few to miss the HP rebalance train, means that he's now too risky. Most buffed 3*s have a power or two that can one-shot him.