Fantastic Four Back at Marvel?!

Came across this article, wonder if this would impact the characters from the FF universe being added to the game? icon_e_surprised.gif

Either way looks like we can look forward to some good FF movies finally. (I personally liked the first 2 to an extent)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/15/report-fantastic-four-back-at-marvel-new-film-coming-2020?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Here's the article if you can't get to IGN from work!
A new rumour is claiming the film rights to the Fantastic Four are back with Marvel, with the studio now planning a new film for 2020 that'll see the quartet folded into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Den of Geek claims the move was made as part of the deal that will see Fox allowed to create two X-Men TV shows - Hellfire and Legion. Reportedly, in exchange for allowing Fox the TV rights to the franchise they've long desired, Marvel wanted to get something in return. Apparently, that something was the Fantastic Four film rights.

What's interesting is the timing of the announcement - Marvel just announced it has three, untitled films set to hit screens in 2020. Supposedly, one of these is set to be a Fantastic Four film.

While the news isn't confirmed and so should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. Following the fantastic flop that occurred earlier this year, you can see why Fox may be keen to get this particular franchise off its hands, especially if it nets something it's been lusting after for years in return. As for Marvel, it's a chance to protect and expand its brand even further.

Just last month, however, writer and producer Simon Kinberg confirmed a Fantastic Four sequel is still in development. Back then, it didn't look like there were plans to collaborate with Marvel to help revive the franchise like Sony is doing with Spider-Man, as the producer denied knowledge of any such partnership.

As soon as we hear anything concrete we'll let you know. In the meantime, let us know in the comments whether this fills you with confidence about the future of the Fantastic Four, or if you're starting to get concerned about Marvel's ever-ballooning stable.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope this is true.. first off , because the 2 new shows would rock, and secondly. because ouch on the last try at a F4 movie.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope it is true and effective immediately so we could see characters like Doom and Surfer show up in the Infinity War films.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Galactus and Surfer in GOTG/Infinity War would be amazing, and there's still time to work Doom into the post-Avengers 2 fallout, so I am thrilled with this.
  • Would also be awesome to see Doom get proper representation and not defeated by a garbage truck. icon_lol.gif
  • Apparently some Fox execs were playing the anniversary event on MPQ and have decided they want nothing to do with Galactus anymore.

...meanwhile in an alternate timeline (I have this on good authority from Reed) where the anniversary events were well received by all, Disney/Marvel execs were playing MPQ during the anniversary and finally caved in to Fox's demands in order to get Big G back on side!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I can't go to that article, but is the original poster talking about the 2 X Men shows that are coming to TV and the mysterious three movies at Marvel?
  • TLCstormz wrote:
    I can't go to that article, but is the original poster talking about the 2 X Men shows that are coming to TV and the mysterious three movies at Marvel?
    Sort of, this seems to be a rumour spinning out of those two stories. It is alleged that the price Fox paid to move ahead with the X-Men related TV shows was the FF rights.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fox wants to make a show called "Hellfire".. would this be a show on the Hellfire Club or is there something else related with that name under the X-Men property?

Regardless, if true, awesome trade. Fox doesn't need F4 anymore! Marvel can utilize the F4 universe of the characters everyone stated above in Galactus, Doom and SS but we can also see Kang the Conqueror and actual Skrulls! As for the possible 2020 F4 movie, I think I would prefer a TV show with the first season having Mole Man as the villain.
  • TLCstormz wrote:

Threw the article into the OP
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Man, would be cool if true. Marvel is doing okay with the "inhumans" angle, so don't really need the X-Men (although **** it'd be nice to have them), but getting Fantastic Four would be...fantastic.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would ni e if true, but I gotta admit...the new movie wasn't half that bad. It was a more Ultimate Universe interpretation than the actual ultimate comics.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    It would make sense like the article states. I just sure hope this is gonna be official, don't want my beloved F4 get dragged in the mud any further by FOX.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    posted a comment on there, but I'll post here too.

I think this is a good thing. Even if Marvel doesn't end up doing a Fantastic Four movie themselves... it opens up the villains and characters for use in other movies, cameos, storylines, etc.

More importantly to me, it prevents more **** movies from being made, dragging the superhero genre through the mud.

I can feel the genre's streak taking a dip, and I accredit it a lot to flops that are being forced out because it's the outside company's cash cow... Sony rebooting Spiderman so soon and making ASM2... Fox pushing 3 Fantastic Fours out because they so badly want to make money, and flop each time. I only liked maybe half of the X-men/wolverine movies they've made, so they aren't doing that hot in my book.

I think Marvel is doing pretty solid in their MCU, and have done a good thing in tying it together, but I worry that these other movies are **** in the pool. I'm really worried about DC and their Suicide Squad leaving a great big floater in there that will finally clear the pool. Once the pool gets cleared... people go home and don't go back in... even if you say the pools clean.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    Hellfire could be about Magik.

Her character and story arcs could make for some very interesting TV along the lines of Buffy.

You could drop in a few X-Men from time to time, especially Piotr.

Then you could throw in some New Mutants to boot.
  • Der_Lex
    Apparently, Hellfire is about the Hellfire Club in the 60's. Possibly before First Class. Whatever they choose, I really hope January Jones doesn't come back as Emma Frost, because she was really awful.

Legion is about Xavier's son David Haller, a mutant with multiple personalities who all control a different part of his powerset.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    The deal makes a lot of sense for both sides. Largely, because neither side is giving up anything that was of real value to them.

- Fox wasn't going to make more FF movies and burn money.
    - Marvel wasn't going to make X-men TV shows, because they're focused on the Inhumans (and because, rightly or not, Fox probably would have sued them over it).

Win/win.
  • JVReal wrote:

I think this is a good thing. Even if Marvel doesn't end up doing a Fantastic Four movie themselves... it opens up the villains and characters for use in other movies, cameos, storylines, etc.

It's definitely a good thing. The negative press Fox was getting for blocking the return of the rights must be hurting them, and Marvel's cancellation of the FF comic line looked like corporate warfare so that can't have been good PR for them either.

Better PR all around!

That and, yeah, Infinity War would be underwhelming without a cameo from either Galactus or Surfer. I mean, who is Thanos going to beat down to show his power?

Also Skrulls! In time for GotG2?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Apparently, Hellfire is about the Hellfire Club in the 60's. Possibly before First Class. Whatever they choose, I really hope January Jones doesn't come back as Emma Frost, because she was really awful.

Legion is about Xavier's son David Haller, a mutant with multiple personalities who all control a different part of his powerset.

Soo you're saying there will be Bacon.. Kevin Bacon! I could see this being a pretty good show if they can pull it off.
  • Der_Lex
    Io9 is reporting that the FF rumor is false, btw. Which would be a shame.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Io9 is reporting that the FF rumor is false, btw. Which would be a shame.

Damn, that would be a shame, more than getting the FF back, getting back a bunch of baddies for the MCU would have been even better. icon_e_sad.gif