OMG.....retreating in PvP costs 49 points?

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I was in 9th place in the current Lightning Round, and on its second turn, the computer cascaded into FOUR different criticals.

It go 17 Black (for its Panther), 13 Green (for its Kamala), and single digits for all other covers.

My team was already about 1/ 2 down in health, so wasn't the smartest thing to retreat? Turns out, NOT ONLY is my team now completely dead, I also got gutted for 49 points, taking me from 9th place to 182nd place.

Is that normal? Good grief.

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    yes. completely normal.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I was in 9th place in the current Lightning Round, and on its second turn, the computer cascaded into FOUR different criticals.

It go 17 Black (for its Panther), 13 Green (for its Kamala), and single digits for all other covers.

My team was already about 1/ 2 down in health, so wasn't the smartest thing to retreat? Turns out, NOT ONLY is my team now completely dead, I also got gutted for 49 points, taking me from 9th place to 182nd place.

Is that normal? Good grief.

You were going to lose those 49 points whether you retreated or got beat, though. Think of 'retreat' as 'forfeit.'

You conceded the match.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I had no idea that's how it worked..........

Too much PvE play. :+/
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, if you want to diminish point loss when losing/retreating, never battle anyone with less points than you. (i.e. people offering less than 38 points for a victory.) If you do, not only you are exposing yourself to the possibility of losing big because the difference in points between you two, but even if you win, the retaliation node that that player will get for you will allow them to hit back you for many more points than you hit them.
  • You are lucky. I was trying to place top 20 in a lightning but every match I won gave me 28-35 points and I would get attacked two or three times during my match and each would cost me 40-45 points. Despite being at #16 and winning three matches in a row, I ended up farther back than #130
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    pylgrim is correct. Points lost will be significantly higher if you target players worth much less than you.

And a retreat is the same as a loss in terms of points lost. So you lost all 49 points the moment the ai got that cascade that made the match unwinable.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    LRs are always tough since so few targets are actually high points. once you hit the mid-upper 200s, if you can find a beatable team in the 40s, you're lucky. remember that in reg pvp though icon_e_wink.gif