Why not free shields?

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
Since cooldowns are limiting the number of shields anyway, what is the point of charging HP for them? Charging for them was a way to limit their use before we had cooldowns. What's the reason to do so now? And before anyone says "revenue", I don't believe it. If people weren't spending HP on shields, they'd be using it to buy covers and roster slots that much faster.

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Since cooldowns are limiting the number of shields anyway, what is the point of charging HP for them? Charging for them was a way to limit their use before we had cooldowns. What's the reason to do so now? And before anyone says "revenue", I don't believe it. If people weren't spending HP on shields, they'd be using it to buy covers and roster slots that much faster.

Maybe the economics work out that people can earn what they spend on shields, but in doing so it means they then need to buy more HP for other uses and once they have that HP available it is easier for them to be tempted into buy an extra cover etc.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Downside I'd see is less overall available targets.

If i'm going to bed, why not throw up an 8 hr shield even if I'm only at 600?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Downside I'd see is less overall available targets.
    I disagree. A lot of people would be running up much higher scores, because they wouldn't feel compelled to make a hard rush in the last 5-6 hours, and hit 1300 on one shield or one hop. Higher scores would pull everyone up and make the progression easier to hit.