From 3* to 4*...what's the best way?

Handoftheking26
Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in Roster and Level Help
So my 3* roster is pretty solid (still 1 million iso away from making them all max) and my 4* roster sucks. I would really like to develop my 4* characters but not sure on how. Getting a 4* cover once every blue moon isn't getting it done, and the 4* DDQ is for people who already have playable 4*s. So besides pve progression which takes forever, how should i do this?

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    1,000 PvP scores are the best way to get known covers for guys you really want. PvE legendaries have been surprisingly easy to obtain, that is probably your best plan B, but its a die roll as to whether you get something you actually need/want. The only other thing you can do is pray to RNGesus or shell out $$$ to buy covers for characters...
  • tanis3303 wrote:
    1,000 PvP scores are the best way to get known covers for guys you really want. PvE legendaries have been surprisingly easy to obtain, that is probably your best plan B, but its a die roll as to whether you get something you actually need/want. The only other thing you can do is pray to RNGesus or shell out $$$ to buy covers for characters...
    Exactly this. The legendary tokens you get from PvE can really help get you to a spot where you can finish more of the 4* DDQ nodes. Same with the 1000 pt progressions - even if it is a character you don't really need/want, every cover helps with those DDQ nodes.

A developed 3* roster should be able to hit the 1000 pt progression in most events.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    What also helps is grinding your butt off for a top 10 finish in the 4* release pve's. That gives you 3 covers, plus another if you're in a decent alliance, and hopefully one from the 1k reward in the character's pvp.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    So besides pve progression which takes forever
    3 days isn't "forever"

Unless you're a fruit fly.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Start from playing PvE for Legendary tokens. When you have at least 5-6 covers for particular character you can start thinking of winning more Legendary tokens from DDQ.
    And next step would be to change PvE progression for PvP.

When the Legendary tokens were introduced I have only 4 characters with about 4-5 covers and a lot of characters I didn't even have. I used to receive maybe 1 4* cover a month in average.
    Since Legendary Tokens arrived (about month ago) I have already won about 20 covers (only from PvE, DDQ and heroic tokens) which is a huge difference. So now I find getting 4* not a big problem anymore in comparison how it was before 5* era icon_e_wink.gif
  • Handoftheking26
    I appreciate these posts very much! I guess unless I can make time for 1k scores on pvp or monster runs on pve I'm screwed...lol....it's really frustrating because it seems like if you can blow some money on this you're golden. I had to take a year off work cuz of health **** so I don't anticipate having extra cash for quite some time. Sucks cuz SS and Kingpin are 2 of the chars I've been begging for since I started, back when Punisher was the shiny new toy....
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you have a solid 3* roster, 1K should not be taking a lot of time. with good team composition, you should be able to hover at equilibrium somewhere in the 600s. getting there can be done here and there. make a big push somewhere around 9-10 hours from event end. push as high as you can within a short amount of time. my pushes are typically 300-350 pts. get to 900s. us 3 hr shield. line up some high pt fights and fight 1-2 fights. 2 only if the first is very fast and 1 if slower. use 8-hr shield. if it took too long and you're short, use event end, but that is always a crapshoot. if you only care about progression, break with 8-10 min left to get your match in and expect to lose a couple hundred pts. breaking with 6 min left is a crapshoot because if you have a weaker team than the others around you, others will have you lined up as their event end match, so if you care only about progressions, break shield early and get yours before they get you. hp spend at that pt is 225. you get 100 back in progression, probably 25 from personal placement and 50 from alliance placement, so 175 total. that leaves 50 to be made up from pve - you need to throw in a t50 sub every once in a while. this is very sustainable. also, if its a very desirable character - right now that is hb, jean, ice - spending a little more hp pays off.
  • Handoftheking26
    How are you guys buying shields so often? With roster spots costing 850+ I usually am pretty broke. Also, spending several hours on the game at a time can be difficult with real life happening icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    As TxMoose mentioned, you acquire HP in each event as you climb and at the finish if you and your alliance place high enough. Depending on how you rank and how you shield, it can be a wash. Throw pve, season and ddq awards on top of that, and you can build up a little bank that will let you roster new characters and still shield when you need to.
  • Handoftheking26
    Thanks so much for the help. What teams are you considering strong? I have about 10-11 lvl 166 3*s, and several getting close to max. I can usually get to the 500s but then the matches are all the same few teams that have maxxed 4*s (or at least one or two) so I have difficulty downing them. And this eats health packs like a ravenous wombat....also the "powered up" thing (hate this) really can nail me. If I don't have at least 2 if not all 3 of the favorite enhanced chars for that event, they are the only teams you see and you get blasted. Again, thanks for responding. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • TxMoose
    How are you guys buying shields so often? With roster spots costing 850+ I usually am pretty broke. Also, spending several hours on the game at a time can be difficult with real life happening icon_e_ugeek.gif
    this is a good point. so, far, i buy large chunks of hp (a stark) a couple times a year and that gets me through, so if you add on roster spots to my previous post, that is problematic. i will say that with the right boosted group, you can get to 1K with no shields, but not always reliable. and if you care nothing about ending placement you could push, use a single 3-hr shield and then push again after the retals and hits come in (give abt 1-2 hrs for that). I'd still do that at 9-10 hours out - there's a lot less activity then and you're less likely to lose what you gain that far out. if you try and push late (within 3-hrs of end), its a crapshoot whether you'll keep your pts or get hit every time you come out of a match.
  • Handoftheking26
    Wow...I had no idea the timing of when you play was so key...thanks again....guess I need new strategy
  • TxMoose
    lots of players have limited hp just like you, so activity really goes up towards the end of events for those that want to only use a 3-hr or 8-hr shield. so, there's a sweet spot where there's still points in the system and targets to be had, but not so late that you'll get hit just as soon as your pt level overtakes your roster strength. to me, that spot is 9-10 hrs out. 5-7 can be ok too, but you get the 8hr shield guys pushing then. also slice dependent. some are better than others - just try different ones out.