2* as Placement Rewards

Avalokitesvara
Avalokitesvara Posts: 35
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that getting 3* is much easier and people are struggling on getting 4* giving away 2* as a placement reward on both PVP and PVE, but mostly PVP, is kinda pointless in my opinion.

Wouldn't be better to get some more iso-8 or an heroic token or even 3 standard tokens than another 2* Cap?

For example something like this would work better in my opinion:
1: 4* + 1 Leg token
2-5: 4* and everything else (times are ready, come on)
6-25: triple 3* + 2 Heroic Token
26-50: double 3* + 2 Heroic token
51-100: 3* + 1 heoric token
101-200: 1 Heroic token
201-300: 3 Standard tokens
Iso and HP unchanged, everything else is fine.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    The specific 2* placement is fine, they just need to extend the rewards so:

1-50: 4*
    51-250: 3*
    251-500: 2*
    501-End: Standard token

Although I prefer a token over a specific cover, sometimes it's nice to see a cover you really need. This is the argument the vets were having with the Legendary being at 1300 instead of a specific 4* cover.
  • Although I prefer a token over a specific cover, sometimes it's nice to see a cover you really need. This is the argument the vets were having with the Legendary being at 1300 instead of a specific 4* cover.

I'm mixed. I hit 1300 for the first time ever in Class of 2015, cost me I think 600 HP (not too bad honestly), and was rewarded with one of the nine 4* covers that I already have 5 of. That sucks. But I still think I would rather a shot at a 5* than a second known 4*.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have to remember, there are noob brackets in PVP as well, many of whom are still covering their 2*s, they go for those covers, like we go for our 4*s and others go for 3*s. They needs progression targets to reach for themselves.. and reaching it feels good. Leave the 2*s in there, don't rob the newer players of their goals.
  • Heroic tokens give also 2*, I don't see any robbery here.
  • Heroic tokens give also 2*, I don't see any robbery here.
    But not known covers that they can really try for if they need them....
  • This was never a necessity, even when PVP didn't award 2* for victories.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I played 3 lightning rounds yesterday, caught all the seed teams up to the 245 point mark. That's ~12 battles each, vs a loaner of the featured character and lvl 1-10 1*s. I got 8 2*s from random drops in one of them, 5 in another and 6 in the third. Thats 19 2* characters for about 20 minutes of work, and even a transitioning 2* player can beat those battles with their eyes closed. Just sayin...
  • This definitely needs to change now, because the introduction of legendary tokens has caused higher scores all around, and this has made placing for 3 star covers much more difficult. icon_e_sad.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cycle through 2*s as they become essentials in PVE events, so I'm happy to have many ways to acquire specific ones.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    a bit unrelated but just noticed the Day 595 reward is Mystique

Really?

I can't imagine anyone getting to day 595 & needing a mystique cover
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Druss wrote:
    I can't imagine anyone getting to day 595 & needing a mystique cover

They certainly exist.

There's only like 2500 players that truly play competitively, and another 100000 that don't. Would be pretty easy to log in every day, play for a few minutes, and not develop a roster over 1.5 years.
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Heroic tokens give also 2*, I don't see any robbery here.

However, most alliances (and guides) train developing players to not open heroic tokens unless they have the hp/slots to roster a new 3*. So they would sit there for a long while instead of covering the 2* they need to develop.
  • Which they also can get from several other ways, much more convenient than a placement on PVP.

Even back in the days I just started the 2* rewards from PVP/PVE were mostly sold for iso.
  • The No-prize is a mighty Marvel tradition from the silver age.

2* Placement rewards keep this tradition alive.

I thought this was a reference everyone understood was deliberate. At least believing this makes it pretty easy to wake up after a half-hearted PvP or PvE in the wrong time slice to be greeted with a new 2* Daken and just laugh it off.

(edited to include link)
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep them, but create a 3 star token as a reward in either of the next two rewards or just have a certain character with a cover earlier. Ultimately they should just be rewarded earlier in the round.