Am I missing something you know and I don't?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Guys I've got a question.

I fight my way up to top 10 then the enemy's earning points get less and less like 8-9 point for each battle then someone hits me and deduct 45 point and retaliation give me 20 point , then i shield myself to not to lose more point and again after few hours is the same story so by 30 fights i get to top 10 and by one lose i go back to top30 , how do you guys maintain your rank?
I am seek of shielding and as soon as it finishes i lose as many points in one game that it takes me 3 games to get it back again.
So frustrating

Comments

• Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I usually start the events when they have 10-18 hours left, I play to get 300 points or so, then wait for all the retaliations to get me to 100 points again. When Theres only 4-3 hours left of the event, I start to play again, try to get to the rank I want, usually top 50, then I proceed to shield and wait till the end of the event. If I try to play past the 3 hours left when I'm at 400+ points usually I get destroyed by attacks, so I just give up if I manage to get the 100 HP reward I buy a shield. If I'm not placed for a reward that gives me HP I don't shield and prey that people doesn't attack me too much icon_razz.gif
  • Wait until final 3 hours to make your top 10 push and shield. NOTHING else matters before that outside of iso farming. If u shield early and break it later to attack, you're sure to lose more than you win
  • let retaliation settle down 1st... then try your best to climb as far as you can... once reach around 600+ or 700+ shield up... confirm #1 or top 5... but normally is depend your roster some ppl tend to avoid you due to higher level of character... if you got hp to spare normally ppl spend 100hp everytime finish 2-3 match then shield again... by slowly climbing the rank eventually you could even reach 1k if done right... but also depend how fast ppl retaliate back...
  • How to get a top spot:

Wait to join an event with about 12 hours left in the tournament (to allow a base of users to accrue points).

Battle your way to the top as quickly as possible and shield when you get around 500-550 points. Either use a 3 hour shield or 8 hour shield depending on what your schedule dictates.

Return when that shield expires. All your retaliations should be done. Unshield and earn another 50-200 points and then Throw up your final shield.

When you join a tournament that late, 600-700 points should guarantee you a top 5 spot. Maybe even the top spot if you get lucky with a weak pool.

Total cost in shields: 225
    Total winnings in HP: 150

So, you spend 75 HP to earn 3 or more 3 star covers.
  • Thanks for the tips guys
  • How in the world are people getting to 600 starting late? You must have an incredibly strong team or a very favorable matchup, and in either case you would've been fine starting early as well.

About the only thing you gain for starting late is you don't have to deal with the #1 guy that is shielded at 800 that is completely out of reach. But if you have such a favorable conditions to allow you to even contemplate hitting 600 starting that late, you could've been that guy if you started early enough. Yeah you'd have to use a 300 HP shield (24 hours), but that'd almost certainly guaranteed you #1.
  • Why would you start early? That means you have to spend more in shields to hold your position. Unless you just wanted to grind some ISO.

By starting later you have a huge amont of people already that have between 300-500 points and are unshielded. Allowing you to hi them for 30-40 points per attack and hasten your climb.

Plus, most of the better players join earlier, so by joining later (but not too late) you avoid most of them.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Why would you start early? That means you have to spend more in shields to hold your position. Unless you just wanted to grind some ISO.

By starting later you have a huge amont of people already that have between 300-500 points and are unshielded. Allowing you to hi them for 30-40 points per attack and hasten your climb.

Plus, most of the better players join earlier, so by joining later (but not too late) you avoid most of them.

I don't get that. If the best way to win is join late, what makes you think the better players join early?
  • Because I see who populates my top ten and it's almost never the top players.
  • Aside from the joining immediately when a bracket starts, I've not found any reliable way to try to figure out what other players are going to be in. With the whole MMR effectively putting people in their own circle it doesn't even matter very much whether you're avoiding a guy with a level 141X3 roster. A lot of the time the guy at the top is some guy with only 2 level 85s that has a very favorable matchup and you can't possibly try to figure out how to avoid them.

Joining late is fine if you're not shooting for #1, but there's really nothing reliable about your placement for starting late. The last tournament I was in I joined right away and it was surprisingly calm in the 20th and below range. Now if you're trying to place top 15, it's always some kind of madhouse out there. Yes starting early means you can find yourself in a bracket you have no chance of winning, but you can also find yourself in a highly uncompetitive bracket and just shield really early and win. If you join late, it's always going to be down the wire because there's not enough time for you to gauge what's a good score if you joined with 12 hours or less to go on the tournament. I've seen guys overtake guys sitting at 600 or even 700 and those guys are slightly more likely to be present in a late bracket than an earlier bracket since guys who plan on making a serious push late is likely to join late as well.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Why would you start early? That means you have to spend more in shields to hold your position. Unless you just wanted to grind some ISO.

I don't get that. If the best way to win is join late, what makes you think the better players join early?

I can vouch for this tip to join late. I read it when I first joined the forums and tried it. For some reason, you require less effort to get good results. I can aim for 250 points and get top 50 in my bracket. I've done 400 for top 10 once as well. No shielding for me. And very little retaliation as well since i"m not worth a lot of points to fight. I have middle range heroes and I am not placed very high if I'm only around 200 points with one hour to go. A lot less frustrating and saves me from throwing my phone against the wall.

Better players are ISO farming. As I've been told, it takes a lot of ISO to level up 3* heroes. ISO may be more important than winning covers for some of them.
  • ryanaust wrote:
    I am seek of shielding and as soon as it finishes i lose as many points in one game that it takes me 3 games to get it back again.
    So frustrating
    Starting 8hrs or so out is no longer a particularly sensible way to go for high placement. It worked mostly by freeloading your way up off people who already had high ratings and were shielded, but you can't see them any more. You can still do fine, but it's the most active period and you're likely to be kept down by that unless you get lucky. People have been reaching the highest peaks by slogging away early, ideally off-peak, then shielding for 24hrs+, breaking only if they need another push to secure placing or love risk and want another progression award.

The only thing you're really missing is that you shouldn't put a shield up until you're prepared to be playing or shielded from then until the end of the event. There are almost no circumstances in which you'll retain an above average rating unshielded and unattended.
  • just as toxicadam said. no need to rush. i'm just going to add: only target player with 40+ points if available. don't ever target lower than 25. they will retaliate happily icon_e_smile.gif

i just need 15-20 matches to rank in top 10. but if u targetting top 3, well, that's a big difference
    u need good team and luck too
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    interesting how the bane of your top-25 high-level existence is also the root of your salvation: Rubber banding. It gets you up there but then tears you right back down.
    i suspect that when d3 is done tinkering with all the other elements of the PVP, they may turn their funbalance eye towards the last hour entry trick.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Aside from the joining immediately when a bracket starts, I've not found any reliable way to try to figure out what other players are going to be in. With the whole MMR effectively putting people in their own circle it doesn't even matter very much whether you're avoiding a guy with a level 141X3 roster. A lot of the time the guy at the top is some guy with only 2 level 85s that has a very favorable matchup and you can't possibly try to figure out how to avoid them.

Joining late is fine if you're not shooting for #1, but there's really nothing reliable about your placement for starting late. The last tournament I was in I joined right away and it was surprisingly calm in the 20th and below range. Now if you're trying to place top 15, it's always some kind of madhouse out there. Yes starting early means you can find yourself in a bracket you have no chance of winning, but you can also find yourself in a highly uncompetitive bracket and just shield really early and win. If you join late, it's always going to be down the wire because there's not enough time for you to gauge what's a good score if you joined with 12 hours or less to go on the tournament. I've seen guys overtake guys sitting at 600 or even 700 and those guys are slightly more likely to be present in a late bracket than an earlier bracket since guys who plan on making a serious push late is likely to join late as well.

Decided to test this theory and join the daredevil tournament the night it was released. Huge mistake. The top 10 of my bracket are all 600+, whereas the last tournaments I've been in have had 500 points for 10th place. Never again.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Aside from the joining immediately when a bracket starts, I've not found any reliable way to try to figure out what other players are going to be in. With the whole MMR effectively putting people in their own circle it doesn't even matter very much whether you're avoiding a guy with a level 141X3 roster. A lot of the time the guy at the top is some guy with only 2 level 85s that has a very favorable matchup and you can't possibly try to figure out how to avoid them.

Decided to test this theory and join the daredevil tournament the night it was released. Huge mistake. The top 10 of my bracket are all 600+, whereas the last tournaments I've been in have had 500 points for 10th place. Never again.
    you should see the day 1 sub 50 pt rosters. All high levelers hungrily watching and waiting for the final 12 hour feast. Like sharks circling a bleeding whale.
  • Phantron wrote:

I find this really interesting. Like Phantron, I'm an early starter. Partially because I want the ISO, and partially just because it's fun. I pushed my way to 500 in the first day, and when I came back, had been knocked down to 300. Similarly, went to bed last night around 550, woke up this morning to be 297! Have now retaliated /fought my way to 664 and current 5th. Shields up for a breather!

I enjoy the first couple of days. I enjoy the tit-for-tat, I enjoy the challenge of bigger and better rosters beating me down, then retaliating (P.S. OBW is rubbish on defence if you starve her of Blue/Purple. Modern Hawkeye has a useful purpose here.) I have several lvl 85 2* covers and only my IM40 is 100+. But I get to put my roster through its paces, trying different pairings (my DD is rubbish, and no use) to see what is effective. IM40 feeding Wolvie 2* reds is pretty good!

However, I reckon top of my bracket will be 700+. So what I'm inferring from the chat is that if you join a bracket early, more leaders will accumulate more points, and the final positions will be higher - 700+ probably. If you join a bracket on the final day, you're more likely joining a bracket of others joining on the final day, and so the overall points will be lower, and you need less points to place high.

What this doesn't tell us though, is which strategy is easier. I wouldn't say this morning was 'easy' for me, but starting from a position of just <300, I made a push to 664 in around two hours. Could probably have pushed further, but taking M Hawkeye and Cap into a fight together against C Storm and Wolvie proved to be a step too far (I have never been able to use Cap effectively), and I lost 53 points in one go! Can't remember the opponent, but they'll be laughing. Anyway I'm 664, with the option of one final push once healed and back at full health packs. That seems ok to me, versus the strike / shield / strike / shield strategy I'm seeing recommended if you start in the last 8 hours.
  • For me it depends on the finish time. 5am finishes i use as iso grind and join early. 5pm finishes i go for top10 and late start.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I think my problem is I join tournaments a within the first few hours because hey... what else am I gonna do?
    Always gives me a pretty rough bracket.
  • It does really depend on whether you care about progression, placement or Iso grind. For progression and Iso grind, joining early will mean you won't get many retaliations as you climb, but you really can't reasonably keep your high score over the course of 2 days. I made it from 0 to 600 points (#1) in one sitting but since it was still 1.5 days before the end of the tourney, I didn't shield and quickly got bumped back to the middle of the pack. For placement, only the last hour or the few hours right before I shield are relevant at all. Anything else before that time is completely meaningless.