Galactus essentials - why?

1) Some people have predicted that Reed is going to be the recurring essential for Galactus#2. I imagine it's just his turn in the rotation, but I'd like to point out that the last (only) time Reed was an essential was miserably for The Gauntlet. So it would be another nice *non-competitive* PvE ruined for people unlucky enough to be missing that one particular 4*. This gives way to a more important question though:

2) Why do the Galactus sub-nodes even need to be essentials? If the whole point of Galactus is that he's tough enough to beat anyone ("winning a round against Galactus is an achievement" -Ice), then why are people limited in getting to even play him? If the goal is to striate the player base, well then the difficulty of the Galactus battle itself should suffice. Frankly, I'd say this should be true for any non-competitive PvE. Isn't the point of Gauntlet, Galactus, and Ultron that they're challenges of whether you're good enough to win? Why should people that *are* strong enough, not get to play because they don't have the right "X"?

The newer players in our Alliance can't do as much damage to Galactus or reach the same tiers, so should they be further penalized by not even getting to enjoy the gameplay? He's got a limited number of refreshes anyway, so there's still a cap on what anyone can do.

And it's supposed to be the fun anniversary event, after all. LET THE PEOPLE PLAY!

I've said my piece. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The biggest reason for essentials, is that without them, everyone would be using their A team on every node... by having essentials, you are forced to try different teams.

Also, essentials are given bigger boosts then the weekly boosted for the events they are essential in.

That being said.. i think essential nodes should have the option of a 1/1/1 loaner for those who are missing it.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Roster diversity"
  • Malcrof wrote:
    That being said.. i think essential nodes should have the option of a 1/1/1 loaner for those who are missing it.
    This is a great idea! And again, I'm not suggesting that essentials be removed completely, just for the true, non-competitive PvE events. Or at least for Galactus, as again it's supposed to be anniversary fun for all. So let the "all" play.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    To lock out small roster people without these characters. Essentials for side nodes is one thing, but essentials to play the core of the game and make progression is just a kick in the balls.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I think having a loaner would be fine, you get one in PVP events so why not PVE.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I think having a loaner would be fine, you get one in PVP events so why not PVE.

Because with PVE you are only blocked out of 1 node but without a loaner in PVP you couldn't participate at all.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    The almighty $

Roster Slots are an admitted big earner for them - there are loads of 3* and 4* characters people would live without if they knew it wouldn't lock them out of any node so an income stream for d3 would dry up.

Who would keep Qs or Vision when their next roster slot for Red Hulk is going to cost 1000 HP but for knowing that next time they are essential they will need them - give me a free loaner and I'll pair them with 2 strong 3* or 4* and carry them - plus no health penalty in grind because loaner will always be fresh.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    The biggest reason for essentials, is that without them, everyone would be using their A team on every node... by having essentials, you are forced to try different teams.

There's a much more simple reason: right out of the gate, use of essentials already blocks out a statistically significant portion of the playerbase from ever being able to reach the higher rounds (or on regular events: progression scores) of the event for the more valuable rewards. You know: the ones we now know were determined to ideally be paid out to less than 1% of the total player base.

And as long as other trite excuses such as 'promoting roster diversity' exist, a large amount of players will opt to ignore this simple truth while it's standing there screaming in their faces.