Information request from Developers re: Galactus Hungers 2

PorkBelly
PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
One of the things that was extremely frustrating about the 1st run of Galactus was that there was a lack of information regarding how the event was supposed to run.

In hopes of eliminating that same frustration for Thursday, I'd like to make a request for information in advance and I hope that other forum members might chime in as well with information requests that might be relevant as well.

I'll start:

1) Who are the buffed/required characters going to be?

I was able to do reasonably well because two of the characters that I used against Galactus were buffed (X-Force Wolverine & Iron Fist). If it is going to be a different group of characters, I'd like to be able to start brainstorming/testing with my alliance early.

Personally, I hope the buffed list is the same as the first run or even expanded.

2) What are the changes going to be with regard to gameplay relative to the 1st event?

I assume the nodes are going to remain locked again until the 8 hour refresh timer has elapsed but please confirm this.

And I implore you, please do not overthink how you alter the Galactus battles. There is simply not enough time to completely alter the mechanic of the fights and test them sufficiently so that they don't result in another broken event. Just either a) extend the countdown timers or b) reduce the amount of AP they collect for rounds 6-8. Through round 5 Galactus was reasonable. Afterwards, the difficulty became ridiculous (and I'm someone who got the Legendary token reward) & completely unenjoyable.

3) Will there be any changes to the reward structure?

Many on the forum (myself included) thought that the awards for Galactus were miscalibrated relative to the difficulty. After beating Galactus at higher levels and getting 40 ISO or critical boosts were really equivalent to nothing and probably left the player at a deficit given that they were certainly using boosts.

Having this information early will help alliances coordinate and allow members to determine whether the rewards will justify their effort.

Thank you in advance.

I'll edit this post if I think of anything else but I encourage other interested parties to contribute below.

Comments

• mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice idea. Frankly, I'm still debating whether I'm even going to bother to play the second round, and the more information I have up front, the better.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Answers and communication in advance will have an impact on whether I play or not, since starting then quitting will negatively effect my alliance.

If I know in advance it will not be fun, I can make room in my alliance for someone else until they all join, then go back in for business as usual.

The biggest problem I believe in Galactus was the multiples of Cosmic Tiles spawning that also gave Multiple quantities of AP. The AP has to slow down significantly.

Either spawn 1 Cosmic Tile equal to small amount of AP. If spawning multiple Cosmic Tiles per CD, then they need to grant AP in that particular Tiles color. This will extend the life of the fight, and still accomplish the task of giving multiple pools of AP to the enemy to slow down AP drainers.

Increasing should be limited to one thing each round rather than multiples that compound.
    1CD tile generating 1 cosmic tile generating 1 AP. = 1 AP per turn potential
    2CD tiles generating 1 cosmic tile, generating 1 AP. = 2 AP per turn potential
    2CD tiles generating 2 cosmic tiles generating 1 AP. = 4 AP per turn potential
    2CD tiles generating 2 cosmic tiles generating 2 AP. = 8 AP per turn potential

much better than the 48 AP per turn potential we were getting in round 5 or 6.

If Cosmic Tiles give Galactus AP, shouldn't the player get some benefit from them? even if its double AP in that color?
  • FOADakaSquirrelBoy
    FOADakaSquirrelBoy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Fully agreed. Also just tell us when it starts exactly, already!
  • Fully agreed. Also just tell us when it starts exactly, already!

Anniversary ends Sunday at Midnight (Eastern) right? So if this does cap the week and is 3.5 days like Run 1, it should start Thursday Noon (Eastern), unless I am missing something?
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    We refuse to ratify the second round of Galactus until the administration releases the secret side deals!!!!!
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Coming from the world of RPGs, CCGs, and miniature wargaming, the amount of information normally found in a rulebook that is kept secret by these developpers continues to amaze me (not in a good way).
  • Talked to them at NYCC at their booth. Galactus round 2 starts Thursday at noon.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    They could tell us the rules now, but they'd only change them 24 hours prior to going live, so why bother
    Talked to them at NYCC at their booth. Galactus round 2 starts Thursday at noon.

Here's my issue with that, Galactus Hungers was in the events tab for THREE WEEKS prior to going live. They can't put up the second 3 days early?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    They could tell us the rules now, but they'd only change them 24 hours prior to going live, so why bother
    Talked to them at NYCC at their booth. Galactus round 2 starts Thursday at noon.

Here's my issue with that, Galactus Hungers was in the events tab for THREE WEEKS prior to going live. They can't put up the second 3 days early?
    They're still working on making run 2 better so they haven't put it up yet. That said, from what I hear run 2 is going to be MUCH better than run 1.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    fmftint wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33800

I would suspect the event will be locked and loaded when they finish work on it. "Longer fights" usually translates into more health, which in turn means higher reward targets.

And I assume the two week pretty meaningless tile cd tile isn't what you're looking for as much as rewards and buffed list.
  • fmftint
    fmftint wrote:

They're still working on making run 2 better so they haven't put it up yet. That said, from what I hear run 2 is going to be MUCH better than run 1.
    I'm not saying launch the event, just that there should be a event preview counting down, GH1 was on screen for 3 weeks and had it's own speculation thread. GH2, finished or not should have a preview tab
  • fmftint

That's great....but better HOW? In what ways? Hopefully the devs will communicate ahead of time. Both to inform and to entice. After the first go 'round, a lot of players need some firing up. Juicy details of a much better event would be just the thing!
    Better from the devs should be taken with a grain of salt, they also said GH1 "is a lot of fun"
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards

That's great....but better HOW? In what ways? Hopefully the devs will communicate ahead of time. Both to inform and to entice. After the first go 'round, a lot of players need some firing up. Juicy details of a much better event would be just the thing!
    I agree that they should communicate what changes are being made before the event runs.

As for better how? Better in that more people will hit progression, finish the event, get more & better rewards, and be able to do it with a broader roster and fewer health packs (I hope).
  • PorkBelly
    OK. We're now less than 24 hours (possibly? no official word) from the start of the event. . .

And still no answers to the reasonably straightforward questions in the initial post.

This is when I start to feel some frustration.

Can we please get some answers so that alliances can make decisions about participation?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    It sounds like they're significantly overhauling the event. I understand not releasing information until very close to the event, as it's probably in constant flux at this point. They have to essentially design a new event without being able to rely on a client patch, which probably ties their hands quite a bit.

However, the information requested above should be made available once it's finalized, even if it's just before the event goes live.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    sorta like what Scarlet Witch said at the end of House of M:

No More Health Packs

Free Health packs and Boost all event.
  • PorkBelly
    It sounds like they're significantly overhauling the event.

This is largely what worries me.

I was hoping they would just adjust something simple (length/number of CD tiles or amount of AP absorbed).

They had months (at least since Ultron) to plan and design Galactus Hungers 1.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that it didn't work out so well.

Based on that track record, a significant overhaul on 4 days notice doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    PorkBelly wrote:
    It sounds like they're significantly overhauling the event.

This is largely what worries me.

I was hoping they would just adjust something simple (length/number of CD tiles or amount of AP absorbed).

They had months (at least since Ultron) to plan and design Galactus Hungers 1.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that it didn't work out so well.

Based on that track record, a significant overhaul on 4 days notice doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think that's a reasonable concern.

Consider, though, that one of the big complaints was that they changed the structure of the first run of the event in response to player feedback. If they wait until things are locked in to provide information, they'll at least avoid that particular complaint. Plus, they've also gotten an immense amount of data and feedback from the first run. Making an iterative change is easier than designing the event, so I've got hope for the second run.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would expect cyc to be buffed since of last run, and maybe hulk because of hulk reward.
  • PorkBelly